Forums > Social Chat > [EDIT] Bought a Motorbike! (was "contemplating a motorbike")

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Well, I've decided to finally give into the rebellious urges I've had since I was 15 years old and am seriously considering buying a motorbike. Public transport shits me to tears (on a daily basis) and as I don't have a car I would like a little more freedom. Besides, bikes are cool.

So, anyone here ride? The bike I'm looking at is a Yamaha Virago XV250 (I like the style).

I'm not very tall, so a big bike just won't do, and I don't want to kill myself, so I don't need too much power whilst I'm learning to ride. I like the roadster style of bike - those hardcore bikes look uncomfortable and my back would get sore leaning over like that all the time.

I guess I'm after general advice and any pros/cons people have to offer, especially from girls who have ridden in busy cities.

What is an acceptable amount of kms for a used bike to have done?

Is it scary riding in the rain?

Is it hard riding with a pack? Where do you put all your stuff?

Thanks guys smile And yeah, I'm aware of mortality rates!

EDITED_BY: flash fire (1112855590)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DinkBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Yay another girly bike lover wave
Congrats on the decision to get a bike, im too chicken to be anything but pillion, and thats been way too long *sigh*

good choice on the less power whilst you learn, you dont want to scare yourself to start off smile Your back may not get sore from leaning forward(ish) i dunno... it gives u a great tummy biggrin strong neck muscles too.

So yea as only ever being a pillion, i would say that riding in traffic is a little daunting, but then u dont have to go wizzing in and out of cars do you? Im sure you will get confident in no time at all.
Riding in the rain is ok, deffinatly need waterproofs, and learn to wipe your visor with your arm lol. just look out for the metal man hole covers as they can be slippy! The ones here in the UK are normally slightly raised which is annoying.
As for packs... have you seen the magnetic tank bags? cool
very handy and dont throw your weight off, but then you can get a small back pack.

*waffel waffel*

Just beware of cars, they dont see you all the time, saying that the only time i fell off was in mud going up a track at 5miles an hour, did i say fell off?? i was pushed ubblol good choice on the armoured leathers!

have fun!

im a gemini..go figure

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
congrats flash, very happy for you... smile

enjoy...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*Insert standard doctor BE CAREFUL! warning here*

Seriously, sweetie. You smash your head to bits riding that thing and I'll find you and kick your butt!

umm Yeah... shrug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hehehhee. Soon, I'll know how to wield a spanner!

Bit of a worry, eh? wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Saw a virago yesterday in bournemouth, fantastic condition very nice bike. was thinking about getting one myself as just passed cbt and looking towards my license. (would prefer a bit more power if i pass my test though.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

the looney beanmember
45 posts

Posted:
congrats , always cool to hear that another biker has been born .Have fun but don't go too mad .

those who are possessed by nothing possess everything

Page: