Forums > Social Chat > [EDIT] Bought a Motorbike! (was "contemplating a motorbike")

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Well, I've decided to finally give into the rebellious urges I've had since I was 15 years old and am seriously considering buying a motorbike. Public transport shits me to tears (on a daily basis) and as I don't have a car I would like a little more freedom. Besides, bikes are cool.

So, anyone here ride? The bike I'm looking at is a Yamaha Virago XV250 (I like the style).

I'm not very tall, so a big bike just won't do, and I don't want to kill myself, so I don't need too much power whilst I'm learning to ride. I like the roadster style of bike - those hardcore bikes look uncomfortable and my back would get sore leaning over like that all the time.

I guess I'm after general advice and any pros/cons people have to offer, especially from girls who have ridden in busy cities.

What is an acceptable amount of kms for a used bike to have done?

Is it scary riding in the rain?

Is it hard riding with a pack? Where do you put all your stuff?

Thanks guys smile And yeah, I'm aware of mortality rates!

EDITED_BY: flash fire (1112855590)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
a friend of mine rides one of those - she loves it

not too heavy to pick up if it gets dropped - which is something you might want to consider

ooh, and my friend is about the same build as you

good luck with the choice - it's something I'd love to do one day as well - perhaps when I have a mid life crisis I might buy a harley wink

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
Well, firstly I must say I think it's really stupid getting a bike to ride in Syndey (is it the city?), thats not calling you stupid but the goddamn car drivers who can't even see a articulated lorry in their blind-spots, let alone a wee biker. But then I got a bike to travel to London to work everyday and loved every minute!!!

Rain, seems scary, but ain't really, just keep to the rules. Snow is V scary however.
I found alot of bikes in Oz have back rest type things that packs go on, which is easy. Also, I travelled on my bike with a huge backpacked, and was fine, even in windy parts.
Once you got the bike, you then figure out how to fit all you need on the bike (and there's lots of ways).

If its a city your biking in, I'd advise against the above bike, but in England, we ride between cars in slow (and not so slow) moving traffic, where as I would see bikes acting like cars waiting in line which I thought strange - but then the above bike would be fine.

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I’ve done a bit of scratching, though it’s been awhile. The Putty Road brings back fond memories.

The XV250 is a good choice, for the reasons you stated. There a few similar “chopper” style bikes from the other factories, though this style of bike tends to be expensive compared to the other250’s.

Another Yamaha that comes to mind is the SRV250. The cheapest value for money Yamaha 250’s would be the LC/RZ series, which are wickedly fast but rather smelly 2-strokes.

Surviving is all about Roadcraft; which includes thinking ahead and anticipating what the other drivers are doing. So, I would strongly suggest doing a Stay Upright or similar training course. They are cheap in comparison, and no-bull, you can learn 20 years experience in a day. They do things like wet up the track and teach u how to ride in the rain etcetcetc.

Where do you put all your stuff? Well, you will learn to travel light with just the bare necessities like your credit card. From there, where you put your stuff is a preference thing. Some bikes have limited storage room under the seat or dummy tank. Then there are many choices, some of which are tank bags, backpacks, soft or hard panniers, Hallmark or Gearsack bags that are mounted on a rack, or just using octopus straps to hold a bag on the rear rack. Of course with a “chopper” it is mandatory to strap your sleeping bag to the front forks wink

What is an acceptable amount of kms for a used bike to have done? Less the better, but appearance may be a better guide. PM if you find something that looks reasonable.

Is it scary riding in the rain? Yes, see above.

Is it hard riding with a pack? No, not with a bit of practice but unfortunately riding with others often becomes competitive and the next thing you know the red mist falls and you are racing flat out.

Oh yeah, the tail has a sting. Expect to pay $500 -$1500 for a helmet, around $1200 for leathers or equivalent, $500 for boots. Any make sure you ask about Gortex gloves, they will keep your fingers warm and dry under any conditions for $100-200.

Just pm if you need more info.

Cheers and good luck, you temporary Australian biggrin

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
250cc is more power then you think. Should be more then enough poke for a learner thats for sure.
I have a friend who rides the same bike an he loves it smile
But pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease be carefull! I know the whole danger factor is part an parcel of riding a moterbike but they realy are soo dangerous. The amount of times that bikes have tottaly iluded me when driving my car and ive lost sight/any knowledge of where they have gone has been enough to stop me from getting one.

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good heavens Ade, a Harley!

I thought you would have gone for a classic, like the kawasaki 900 or even this modern classic Triumph Thruxton.

Cheers

Stone

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I can't give any advice, but I have memories of you at Mardi Gras going mad over the bikes, so it figures you'd be taking the plunge. Just don't forget to wear hot pants when you're cruising the streets.

"I want a bike! And hot pants!" - Flash Fire. 2003 Mardi Gras

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's been said, but just be really careful. I've seen too many horrific motorbike accidents on the lanes around my village to ever want to ride one myself, although I'm sure it must be great.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
tee hee stone ubbrollsmile

my wish list would include such things as a norton, a triumph, a moto guzzi or a harley

But I'm a sucker for polished chrome, a chopped up bike, a good paint job and the sound that a harley makes just melts me... redface biggrin

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dom

I can't give any advice, but I have memories of you at Mardi Gras going mad over the bikes, so it figures you'd be taking the plunge. Just don't forget to wear hot pants when you're cruising the streets.

"I want a bike! And hot pants!" - Flash Fire. 2003 Mardi Gras

bwahahaha! redface erm, yeah. I did go a bit gaga over the Dykes on Bikes, didn't I. o - and the hotpants.

However, I won't be hotpantsing on a motorcycle - I will be in a sexy leather catsuit. *has unrealistic fantasies*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
Cool if the catsuit is sexy, just make damn sure it's decent, it won't look good, or you, if it comes apart after sliding 10ft on apsalt when your still travelling at 20mph!!!!! Road rash is not fun.

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Ok, here is the perspective from someone who is a med student, an ex-motorcycle fanatic and a support worker at Rockybay (a charity that helps disabled people).

1.) Dont think that a motorcycle will save you money, you will be very suprised at the amount of maintenance (time and money) that needs to be spent on keeping it on the road, dont even get me started at the costs of even a minor accident. I made the big mistake of making this assumption DONT FOOL YOURSELF, it will drain your funds.

2.) The bike you are looking at is very underpowered, there are no two ways of looking at it, yes it is a cruiser but it sounds weak, looks small and is about as slow as you will get for a 250cc. You can get much better value for money with other bikes eg, kawasaki gpx 250. Do not bother with BabyBlade ie the Honda cbr 250 it is way over priced for what it does. Do not touch a 2 stroke unless you are used to riding them as dirtbikes.

3.) Sydney drivers are not the people you want to hold your life in your hands.

4.) If you value your ability to walk, talk, go to the toilet by yourself, chew/swallow food, have sensations in the lower half of your body etc... dont ride motorcycles. I work with plenty of people that have acquired brain damage from motorcycle accidents. The saddest part of it is realising that they have been this retarded since their accident (some of which are 40 years ago) and will stay this way for the rest of their lives.

5.) Have you looked at scooters???? They get up to a max speed of 70km/hr, they cost $2000-$3000 for one that looks nice enough, the rego is really really really cheap, you can ride it on a normal license and the maintenance is very cheap. This option will save you money, a motorcycle will not. Note with a scooter that you should not skimp on protective gear, it is still very important.

6.) Motorcycle lessons can easily cost about $1000-$2000 before you have enough experience to pass the licensing test, you can just teach yourself and ride without a liscence for a couple of months which is what I did but can be very dangerous oh yeah and illegal. This cost does not include advanced riding courses which are a must and the actual cost of the tests.

7.) Before you take any more steps towards getting a bike, go to a main hospital in your area and see if you can talk someone into showing you a few patients who have been in motorcycle accidents, another great place to go to is rehabilitation centers which are filled up with motorcycle crash victims.

8.) DO NOT go cheap on protective gear, minimum requirements are as follows...
-armour plated leather motorcycle jacket, the cheaper you go the less comfortable, less protection and greater dag factor.
-a brand new helmet (do not buy 2nd hand) do not go cheaper than $400, ideally you want to spend $800 here.
-leather/kevlar gloves which extend over the sleaves of the leather jacket
-dragon jeans which have a kevlar lining OR leather pants
Now times this all by 2 so you have gear for a passenger.

9.) Just picture for a moment wearing full leathers from head to toe in inner city sydney on a 30 degree after noon in traffic... it sucks. Now picture the skin being grated off your legs by the tarmac, your synthetic underwear melting into your groin from the heat and the bones across your shoudlers and back snapping in 8 places as you slide into the kirb at a mere 50km and hour....

ok I'm done now.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Well Ade, it must be all that chrome, hot leather. But if you are looking for a harley, then there’s this shop down the road called Doc Hog’s. It’s got a window full of custom jobs gone bad. It’s sad smile they’re going for like, ten grand.

Bikes are dangerous, but in reply to all the people concerned about the safety issues of riding a motorcycle on a public road, do really think you should be paying with fire? wink

rolleyes

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

do really think you should be paying with fire? wink

rolleyes

I've never seen someone lying dead after a fire twirling accident.

One mistake with fire and you're on fire. One mistake with a bike and you're dead. I think that's where the concern's coming from!

Sorry not meaning to rain on any parades, just asking that people do proper research into the really REALLY serious dangers of riding a motorbike. I'm sure Flash isn't irresponsible or anything, I was just concerned for her safety and chucking my 2 cents in.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:

Great! Be very careful though.. You just might fall in
love with it and go all biker like!

Your choice of bike is probably good for a first bike.
There is of course the very real danger, every time you
ride, that you might start believing you actually like
this type of bike. And then, for the rest of your riding
career, you will be denying yourself the true riding
pleasure that can be found on a bike that's designed for
riding!

I guess I like riding, so I want a bike that's good at it.
It's also nice to know that your bike is way better than
you. So when you get into trouble, if you keep a cool head,
you can call on the bike to save your skin, and it will
(well, I would say that wouldn't I..?) It's at these
moments that the bike seems to wake up and say 'Oh, so
you actually want to ride today?' smile

But it's a good idea to start with something manageable.
My first big bike wasn't. And I learnt so much on it
that I'm really glad I didn't jump straight on to what I
have now. I appreciate it all the more.

Btw, if you find you are scared silly (but not too silly)
don't worry. It's probably for your own good and you'll
slowly get over it after a year or two. Riding a bike
does take a certain amount of courage and you should
appreciate that you are doing something quite challenging,
and enjoy that learning process.

See this process as an adventure. Mastering the riding art,
developing your road craft and improving your safety can
all be done whilst having a wonderful time. And its
a process that doesn't stop. You can always become
safer, better, more highly skilled and appreciative
of what bikes have to offer.

Have a look at some of the news groups for bikers:
uk.rec.motorcycles is full of great advice and interesting
characters. Many of whom have decades of experience.

Buy a good helmet and try to get the best fit you
can - its just like your head: important! Advanced
training is extremely useful also. And I would
recommend a good back protector, gloves and boots.

Yes, it's expensive. But a lot of that is a sound
investment. My Furygan leathers are still perfect
after 5 years and do such a wonderful job I would
happily pay twice the (expensive) asking price if
I had to (okay, I'm lying, but maybe you get my point..)

As for all the scare mongers.. Sure, a bad accident is
likely to be horrific. Why is that so surprising? What
exactly were you expecting to happen?! But life is
dangerous, and like most things you can take steps to
put yourself at a favourable end of the curve.

I once looked at government figures, and concluded that I
had a 1 in 2000 chance of getting badly hurt on a bike.
That's a lot more dangerous than most things! (But not
skiing or being a fisherman, apparently.) But these
statistics are pretty stupid things. I know full well that
if I ride like an idiot my chances of being killed are
more like 1 in 10... eek

But clearly this works in both ways, and that's my point.

So, be highly self critical, see the smallest mistakes as
something to work on, don't rush it, take it easy and try
to be the best rider you can. Then one day you will..

'Be the absolutely cool, disengaged, superbly skillful
motorcyclist, slipping unnoticed through the turbulent
herd, visible only to connoisseurs of sardonic wit.'

And loving every second of it! ubblove Go for it!

Have a great time! cool

~peace is a fire~

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:

Ah, I forgot to say (can you believe it?):

Stay away from scooters!

They are Nasty, Evil, and Dangerous little things.

You know you want a proper bike ubbloco

~peace is a fire~

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
It is done. I bought a bike and collect her tomorrow. I did my learner's permit course in early jan, and will go for provisional licence in a few months, which I have for a year before I am unrestricted. Then, I will get a bigger bike and will take friends for rides! smile

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3389

She's a 1989 Honda Spada 250. Cult classic bike. teal green and beautiful. I'm having custom leathers made too. smile

I'm so pleased and happy and excited!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks for warning us! wink

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I've been contemplating the same over the past month or so, can't afford a car but want to be able to cut down my commuting time, most of which is currently spent waiting for the bus. Plus a bike's better for the environment, and if the weather is absolutely nasty I can always just take the bus.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
just my opinion but i really recomend a moped/scooter. ok they have a bad 'lil kiddies' image but if its for getting to work etc its great! i love bikes, and i started off with mopeds, ive had a honda city express (hehehe but it got nicked frown ) and a peugeot speed fight2. ok mopeds arent THAT fast, but you dont really need anything more than a 125cc if its in town. if your a first time biker then please dont go for anything too big! its can be a big shock if your not used to it.
hope this help...... good luck hug

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
beautiful bike flash smile

please be careful. both of my parents have worked in the rehabilitation field and they reckon that bike accidents caused a really really disproportionately large fraction of the permanent injuries they used to see.

Also - every bike rider Ive ever met that had experience said that when you ride a bike, its only a matter of time before you have a big accident, no matter how careful you are being.

obviously I cant talk you out of it, but I just hope that you wont get too tempted to have too much fun too soon ya know? smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
cool

congratulations, nice choice biggrin

must be time to give those boys at “Stay Upright” a ring wink

They’ll explain “Roadcraft” and things like “lock and release braking”, “opposite lock steering” (gyro effect), “throttle and braking” at the same time to stop the back wheel locking, and lots of other stuff you may or may not know. All good though smile

The 250 spada homepage suggests that it was a grey import in some countries, although the info supplied (Aust Two Wheels article) suggests Honda imported it to Oz. Have a read.

A few gratuitous tips: Read the hand book (it should come with the bike). Keep the chain oiled and tensioned. Um, no centre-stand, so getting the thing on the side-stand to oil chain etc. will require more technique than strength; as with most things with bikes. Good sticky tyres are expensive, but provide cheep insurance and confidence. Correct tyre pressure is paramount. Gauges at servos are often incorrect; if necessary consider buying an accurate gauge that fits easily into the wheel. Australian Motor Cycle news is a good magazine for "real" enthusiasts.

Cheers smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys.

Stone - fear not. I have joined Girls Ride Out (GRO) who are a club specifically designed for improving girls motorcycling skills in a non-competitive and supportive environment. They do a lot of stuff. I am doing a Learn'nGRO with them which is essentially the Stay Upright course, as well as spanner days (learn how to do basic maintenance) etc. All for free (virtually)! biggrin

Josh - I value my life too much. I am having full leathers made with armour in them and will not be taking any unnecessary risks. It's taken me over 10yrs to come to terms with my decision to ride a bike, so it's not something I'm taking lightly, or without serious consideration. smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Hey that sounds cool. congrats on the bike! bounce

*watchout for biker gal flashfire*

and i'm sure there are going to be hot pants somewhere along the line, hehe wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
One step ahead as usual flash smile

That’s some trick bike you got there, have fun biggrin

cheers

beerchug

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Take good care of her/him... Does it have a name yet? biggrin

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I am having full leathers made with armour in them and will not be taking any unnecessary risks.

A fire spinning motorcycle chick who "doesn't take any unnecessary risks"... hrmmm... wink

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hehehe. it's all relative NYC. biggrin

Kael - she's a girl. Not sure of name yet, but I'm sure she'll tell me soon enough.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Can you strap your firestaff on your back and ride down the street like those ninja dudes in those kung-fu movies?

Cuz THAT would be badass.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hell yeah!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
rofl, a female firespinner with a staff strapped to her back while wearing leather riding an equally sexy female motorcycle.

ubblol If that mental picture isn't hot I don't know what is.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Page: