Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
lo all.

last time it was queensland, this time its sydney, i was wondering if anyone could tell be times an places for circus meets in central sydney. last time i was there i saw some peopl in hyde park, is it regular

thanks

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
check the sydney spinners thread somewhere in the events section here....

Dentrassi did a fab job of compiling all the info... ubbrollsmile

TheMovingManBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:

Hey, i didn't want to make another thread and clog things up, since this name it pretty good.

I'm Julian, by the way, from Sydney.

This year i'm looking to develop as much as possible, the circus community in Sydney. Mainly, i'm going to be working with a uni-affiliated circus society called Circusoc.

As well as developing the society, in terms of numbers, skills, and performing, i would really like to create links between all the other Circus crews in and around Sydney, and beyond, for that matter.
I've been approaching each group separately about this and sharing my ideas, but since HoP is awesome, i was looking for some extra ideas and feedback here (if this is the right place for it)

With linking the community, the first and most easy thing to do would be to have links to everyone else's websites. Also, then, to have some communal webpage (maybe on facebook), where all meets, social events, trainings and performances can be posted.
The idea is NOT to merge groups, but to simply increase awareness and cooperation between them.

If anyone has any questions or ideas, my email is

Julian.Renlong.Wong@gmail.com

I'll be posting more to get help for a range of things, if people are willing to lend a hand. smile

Julian

TheMovingManBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:

I'd like to ask the community as a whole, for ideas on skill training. I know there are many things here on HoP and all over the internet teaching, but i thought it'd be helpful to get some feedback anyway.

I'm trying to work out a system of teaching skills (mainly the twirlerish ones), that will work for a community circus.

My idea is inspired by martial arts training, which is often very structured. Usually at the beginning of the class, there'll be a set sequence of movements designed both to warm people up, but also to work through the basic drills/techniques of that art. This should helpful to both beginners and advanced. I think of it like music practice, where the most effective way is to start off with scales, for instance.

What i'd like to work out first, is, for the more common skills (here, and at the society) like staff and poi, a beginning routine with that idea in mind. Also, remembering to work things like basic footwork and movement.

If anyone would be able to tell me what they think are the fundamentals, then i could work out the routine itself. I'm just not experienced enough in those skills to know how to break it down like that.

Thanks heaps!

Julian