Forums > Social Chat > Brizzie Down under, any local dwellers? futur immigrant seeking info

Login/Join to Participate

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
Hello HoPers,

not to sound so posh as to start a whole new thread just for kicks, but this is actually useful to me, seeing as how i am soon to be a French immigrant in Brisbane, (ooh, yay, *intensely pleased onomatopea* ) studying at the university of Queensland, for a whole year.

anyways, enough of the joyfulness biggrin , lets talk practical. anyone got any good/bad anecdotes that are typical to brisbane?

or, about fireplay, weavesmiley is it safe? legal? widely recognized? seen as a juvenile delinquent activity?

and food, lodging, expenses? is it like paris eek, or more like bangladesh?

people are xenophobic? welcoming? utterly racist? romantics? good-natured beer-guzzlers called bruce? (sorry, stereotype, but i have to check its verity) wink

anyway, i think you catch the drift of this thread, just want to have a few opinions on what a european exchange student can expect from brisbane.

thanx people

Yannicus

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It was very nice when i was there thank you. When you go. Tell it I said Hi?

Meh

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
no problem cantus, your participation was essential, i wil greet the entire city, even kiss the tarmac for you

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
wave hi!!

so you're coming to brizvegas eh??? kewl! biggrin now, to answer your questions!

* about fireplay, weavesmiley is it safe? legal? widely recognized? seen as a juvenile delinquent activity? *

yes, yes, sort of, and yeah kinda!! ubblol you should try & come to as many moonfests as is humanly possible while you are here! it's not too far out of brissie & you'll get to meet lots of friendly firetwirlers!!

* and food, lodging, expenses? is it like paris eek, or more like bangladesh? *

that all depends on your standards! i'm sure you could quite easily find some nice cozy cardboard box, or you could go swish and find an apartment! ubblol ah, you get what you pay for basically! and you pay more if you want to be near the uni!

* people are xenophobic? welcoming? utterly racist? romantics? good-natured beer-guzzlers called bruce? (sorry, stereotype, but i have to check its verity) wink *

some are, some are, some are, some are, and bruce is a very nice fellow!! ubblol for the most part, people here are quite nice!! biggrin

does that help? ubblol
EDITED_BY: gita (1101001418)

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by: gita

for the most part, people here are quite nice!! biggrin

except for that Gita...you'd best stay away from her! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
ubblol yeah, thanx rougie! *shakes head*

JCRBnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Brisbane is great, you'll have a great time. Plenty of beaches of to do Fire on, plenty of places to rent, lots of people to meet.

'Follow the Yellow Brick Road'

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think you will love it. Its very different to France smile but still very accessible and easygoing.

Its one of the few places I'd consider living in other than where I am, and I reckon going to uni there will be really cool smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
wikked. well my qualms seem to have been calmed, somewhat.

thanks for all the feedback people, i appreciate it. and i do think i will enjoy it also, just being alone so far from home should be enough to instill a sense of adventurous cheerfulness for at least the time i'll be there... only problem will be doing the actual university work... i hope to find a place to live next to university, because to be honest im not a very good commuter, maybe i should get a bike.

moonfests better be ready for me, i think the libra one is soon, and thats mine so i can't miss it, lest i be doomed by the lady fate (aka the zodiac chick).

i guess my questions are a bit precise, and for such a big country its kind of silly to ask that, but i have to forge some sort of expectation, if only to have it utterly destroyed upon arrival... that, at least, is one expectation i do not fear to expect.

uh, forget that paragraph. anyways, i'll be coming down in febuary, and will be there for the school year. if anyone has anymore info, comments, deaththreats or kind remarks, i will be only more pleased.

tanx,

Y

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
you might wanna start trying for that place near the uni soon!! they obviously go quickly, cos everyone wants to live near the uni!! (well, the students do anyway!)

the libra moonfest is march! that's ages away! you better come to all the ones in between so you'll be set for then!! ubblol (i have no idea what i just said! ubbloco )

good luck! biggrin

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
I am sure you will love UQ.. it is a really fun campus to study at..
I studied there for a couple of years & then went back and taught twirling courses through the recreational sport program.. Almost every semester we would have a couple of french girls who were on exchange in our class and they were loving living over here...
There are heaps of twirlers in Brisbane.. with a regular juggle meet at the uni on Wednesdays, a larger juggle/twirl weekly at Southbank and then of course moonfest .:*:. which comes round once a month...

get in touch when you arrive.. or come meet us all at moonfest.. smile

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
hiya guys,

well i have finally arrived in brizzie and its so hot!!! its loverly and lush and luxuriant and lavishly vegetative, i love it. im on campus in this residence and will be here for the semester. havent met any jugglers, in fact havent met any australians really, mostly international students.

so anyway, where does the moonfest take place and is it easy to get there from here, and what about these juggle meets on campus, where do i get the info

anyway, will post later on and hope to meet some of you in person. so excited!!!

bye peeple

Yann