Page:
mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Minutes of the first meeting of the dead spinners society.

In attendance: mcp, mo-seph, ben-ja-men

Agenda

1) Double staff form, sets 1 and 2
2) Hoodie wearing
3) Intense staring
4) Video camera-ing
5) AOB

(Oh yeah, and some moves...)

Alternate time butterfly weaves, with transitions:
Alternate time forwards. As right hand is about to go behind, take it over left arm, little finger leading. when it gets back to the front, take it under left arm, little finger leading again. Do on both sides, and then try transitioning in a hug so there's no extra beats

Horizontal foot kick ups (nonchalant):
Left foot behind staff, about centre. Right foot in front, 20 cm to the right. Kick forward with left foot so that staff rolls up onto right foot, kick up and catch... Then arrange two staffs in a row so you can walk over them and kick them up one after the other. While whistling.

One handed stickies:
Hold two sticks in one hand, near the top. Squeeze them in a cunning way so that they make pretty circles.

Reyout:
backwards fishtail-> elbow roll -> straighten elbow -> other half of fishtail -> inverted fishtail. (Makes more sense when you do it)

Foot fishtails:
The trick is how you put the staff on. Forwards is easier, be sure to soften your foot so the staff doesnt bounce

Crosses+rolling on the floor:
Lie on your back, spinning a cross above you (only holding the bottom staff). Then try rolling over when you change hands.

3-beat fishtails:
Hard to explain. Backwards, do the normal fishtail, then the inverted one, then bring bring your wrist up towards your face so that the little finger end of the staff goes in front of your face; then sweep your hand across your body and try to scoop under the centre of the staff to go back to the beginning

Cross-pinwheel -> second half of steve
Spin a cross above you, only holding the bottom staff. Bend forwards so you do a horizontal pinwheel with the staff you're holding (and the top staff stays as a cross). When you get to the other hand, stall the held staff so that the loose one rolls round it and then down your arm like the second half of a full steve.

Cross -> Halo -> cross:
Spinning a cross backwards. As it comes to your back, release one staff, let it do a halo, catch in the other elbow, then grab with the original hand back into a cross. The original hand has to do a sneaky extra snake beat while haloing to make the timing work out right.

Three staff star:
Hold three staffs in two hands so the centres touch and they're somewhere between a snowflake and cubic axes. Then try to move. At all.

Cross in one hand, one stick in the other, halo the crossed stick so the cross is in the other hand
That's all the explanation you get. 3 staff move.

Horizontal foot taps:
Hold staff horizontal, swing in towards the body, drop to foot, quater turn on foot, then kick up to the other hand. Remember to stare intensely at the staff.

Foot shimmy:
Take staff in right hand, pass horizontally behind back, drop to back of left knee, trap and bounce back, then kick up with right foot. Catch above head.

Half-cat leap -> floor strike

Some other martial arty stuff that mcp got really embarassed when we watched her practising so we don't know what it is.

Barrel roll holding the ends of the staff

This meeting of the dead spinners society is now adjourned. The men will retire to the drawing room to smoke cigars and drink port while mcp watches videos of people turning round hundreds of times in the air. So mote it be.

monkeys ate my brain

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
OK, after a play I've figured out that you can do these things with either 2 or 4 beats on each side.

So what the nice bristol kids taught me at EJC was a 2 beat same time reverse bf pattern.

What we were talking about above is a 4 beat alternate time forwards bf pattern, with optional hug transitions.

I found the 2 beat alternate time moves today, and some alternate reverse 4 beats the other day. I'm assuming that 4 beat same times are possible.

OK, I'll try and clarify the beats thing, because it's probably not very clear yet, and sticky people seem to moan when I talk about beats biggrin

So if you stick your left arm out without a stick in it, and spin forwards with your right hand, you can:

- Go over your arm thumb first, then under your arm pinky first. This gives a 2 beat pattern. It's more like having half a beat behind your arm above, half a beat coming back, half a beat under, and then half a beat coming back. I find I end up using my arm to push the staff round for some parts of this.

- Go over your arm pinky first, do a full beat behind your arm, a beat getting back to the front, then go under your arm pinky first, do a full beat and then come back to the front. This gives you a 4 beat pattern. I find this uses a lot more space than the 2 beat.

So I reckon you've got 2/4 beat, same/alternate timing, forwards/backwards and left/right. Plus transitions.

I want to call these weaves, but I don't know if the poi geeks will let me?

And I've got another kinda bf weave type thing that I can't describe yet, but it's lovely when you turn it...

Happy playing biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
That one is lovely... It's kinda like a 1 beat pattern? Maybe you were making more beats on the front side, but that's what it feels like to me.

Plus you can turn it all the way round!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Which one?

monkeys ate my brain

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
The one you can describe yet? The one you had at tepooka, it's like a cross butterfly weave, thing. Yeah. confused

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Ah yeah. That one's fun. Mmmm, cryptic posts...

Yeah, it's kinda like 1 beat butterfly turns, but instead of turning you take the sticks out to each side in turn. It might be something Knox showed me in Graz, but I think what he had was in wheel plane, with a beat and a half on each side. Which is probably the same thing just different.

So, attempt at description:

Forward same time butterfly, wall plane, keeping the centres of the staffs touching all the time.

As the staffs come up in front of you, let them carry on until your pinkies are touching. Then pull them out to the side, let them rotate (it feels like you've reversed direction) until the backs of your hands are nearly touching; bring them back in front so they're in front when the sticks are around vertical, and then rotate through to little fingers touching, and go out the other side.

That's the best I can do at the computer biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I've been working on something like this but with extra half beats on the way to the front (shotguns/snakes?). Lets you get extra beats in front and looks sweet. My pinkies come together first at the front then all the way around until there touching again then back up over my head for more of the same.

I wish i could understand your staff speak more.

Faberge can do something like this with five/six beats, over her head and reversing direction seamlessly. I have stood watching and even been talked through it and i cannot for the life of me figure out how she manages the all the twists and turns. Its like the sticks are turn inside out

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
We need a double staff terminology thread.

Or an entire site dedicated to double staff, liek spherculism is for poi...

Off you go dave! biggrin

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yeah dedicated staff site bring it on smile dave dave hes our man if he cant do it someoneelse can?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Page: