Page:
mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Minutes of the first meeting of the dead spinners society.

In attendance: mcp, mo-seph, ben-ja-men

Agenda

1) Double staff form, sets 1 and 2
2) Hoodie wearing
3) Intense staring
4) Video camera-ing
5) AOB

(Oh yeah, and some moves...)

Alternate time butterfly weaves, with transitions:
Alternate time forwards. As right hand is about to go behind, take it over left arm, little finger leading. when it gets back to the front, take it under left arm, little finger leading again. Do on both sides, and then try transitioning in a hug so there's no extra beats

Horizontal foot kick ups (nonchalant):
Left foot behind staff, about centre. Right foot in front, 20 cm to the right. Kick forward with left foot so that staff rolls up onto right foot, kick up and catch... Then arrange two staffs in a row so you can walk over them and kick them up one after the other. While whistling.

One handed stickies:
Hold two sticks in one hand, near the top. Squeeze them in a cunning way so that they make pretty circles.

Reyout:
backwards fishtail-> elbow roll -> straighten elbow -> other half of fishtail -> inverted fishtail. (Makes more sense when you do it)

Foot fishtails:
The trick is how you put the staff on. Forwards is easier, be sure to soften your foot so the staff doesnt bounce

Crosses+rolling on the floor:
Lie on your back, spinning a cross above you (only holding the bottom staff). Then try rolling over when you change hands.

3-beat fishtails:
Hard to explain. Backwards, do the normal fishtail, then the inverted one, then bring bring your wrist up towards your face so that the little finger end of the staff goes in front of your face; then sweep your hand across your body and try to scoop under the centre of the staff to go back to the beginning

Cross-pinwheel -> second half of steve
Spin a cross above you, only holding the bottom staff. Bend forwards so you do a horizontal pinwheel with the staff you're holding (and the top staff stays as a cross). When you get to the other hand, stall the held staff so that the loose one rolls round it and then down your arm like the second half of a full steve.

Cross -> Halo -> cross:
Spinning a cross backwards. As it comes to your back, release one staff, let it do a halo, catch in the other elbow, then grab with the original hand back into a cross. The original hand has to do a sneaky extra snake beat while haloing to make the timing work out right.

Three staff star:
Hold three staffs in two hands so the centres touch and they're somewhere between a snowflake and cubic axes. Then try to move. At all.

Cross in one hand, one stick in the other, halo the crossed stick so the cross is in the other hand
That's all the explanation you get. 3 staff move.

Horizontal foot taps:
Hold staff horizontal, swing in towards the body, drop to foot, quater turn on foot, then kick up to the other hand. Remember to stare intensely at the staff.

Foot shimmy:
Take staff in right hand, pass horizontally behind back, drop to back of left knee, trap and bounce back, then kick up with right foot. Catch above head.

Half-cat leap -> floor strike

Some other martial arty stuff that mcp got really embarassed when we watched her practising so we don't know what it is.

Barrel roll holding the ends of the staff

This meeting of the dead spinners society is now adjourned. The men will retire to the drawing room to smoke cigars and drink port while mcp watches videos of people turning round hundreds of times in the air. So mote it be.

monkeys ate my brain

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
>...makes more sense when you do it...
i'm sure it does wink ubblol

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mo-seph

Foot fishtails:
The trick is how you put the staff on. Forwards is easier, be sure to soften your foot so the staff doesnt bounce

How do you soften your foot?

By hitting it with a big hammer? eek Like when you tenderise meat?

Are you mental?

I'm not hitting my foot with a big hammer.

and neither are you.
I'm not letting you.
Don't look at me like that...

You're plain evil you are.

Meh

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
No no no hammers, just turn your bones into jelly. It's really good for doing behind the back stuff, and eleven beat staff weaves. And breaking into houses. And escaping from jail afterwards. biggrin

just making sure that your foot isn't rigid when the staff lands on it, it's got a bit of give, maybe it's already moving down slightly to cusion the blow. Maybe you're wearing trainers from the 80's with the really big tongues, or nice ankle warmers.

Written by: Cantus

You're plain evil you are.

But you got that right... biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*puts hand up*

please sir, I am a dead spinner, but this stuff seems very much alive, can i safely ignore all this?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Yes mate, stick with your atomic butterflies and negative warp wrap fountains wink biggrin

Sorry, did I say dead spinners? I meant dead *ringers*. Ooops...

monkeys ate my brain

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
TELL BEN TO

GIVE THE HOODIE BACK smile

OR YOU WILL ALL BE VERY MUCH MORE DEADERER POETS lolsign

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Bwahahahahahah...

y'aint seen nutin' yet :enigmaticanddisturbingsmile:

monkeys ate my brain

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Written by: mo-seph

Alternate time forwards. As right hand is about to go behind, take it over left arm, little finger leading. when it gets back to the front, take it under left arm, little finger leading again. Do on both sides, and then try transitioning in a hug so there's no extra beats

your description sounds like what I call an upper arm wrap (of the waist wrap family). is it done in wall plane? And what do you mean by transition in a Hug? is this a two person move? smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I wore the hoodie to gymnastics!

Nobody posted anything interesting.

I also remembered I also got ben full neck wrap. That was fun fun fun.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

TELL BEN TO

GIVE THE HOODIE BACK smile

OR YOU WILL ALL BE VERY MUCH MORE DEADERER POETS lolsign

what hoodie? ubbangel

*jedi hand wavey trick* there is no hoodie hug

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: Josh

your description sounds like what I call an upper arm wrap (of the waist wrap family). is it done in wall plane? And what do you mean by transition in a Hug? is this a two person move? smile

Josh

Yup, all wall plane. Probably the same thing, although there's another similar but different move with less beats in. (That's a bit unhelpful, but I haven't quite figured out the difference - if the rain holds off, I should find out at lunchtime)

Transition in a hug: your right hand is somewhere around your left armpit at the end of the first half of the move (you've just wrapped over then under the left arm). Then you move your left hand to be near your right shoulder to start the second half of the move, which leaves you hugging yourself. Aaaaahhhhh. Then your right arm comes back across, and your left wraps over then under your right. Then you (well, me) get a little bit confused and wonder why the sticks are now going the *same* direction, not butterfly... confused biggrin

Written by:

is this a two person move? smile

Not.... yet.... mmmm.... maybe this afternoon wink

ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

monkeys ate my brain

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
my spinning is dead, can i come join pls?

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Me being a complete noob to doubles (i.e. this weekend) I have no idea what this means. Its my lingo that is lacking in knowledge so please feel free to update my lexicon.

Sounds sweet though.

Done simply is this like something with Fig 8's crossing the body so that on either side one staff is going forward and one in reverse? First over the arm the under the arm? R over L, L over R, cross, L over R etc? Or do I just not have a clue?

Love the non chalant kick ups. i've been thinking these out myself lately but only in my head. Also trying to get both staffs off center on opposite sides of one foot. kick straight up into a butterfly.

The rest sounds stupidly cool and rather hard.

Love is the law.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
wink
You people are so very wrong...
moseph, can I get a bit of your turn-bones-to jelly-serum?
It could be really funny for contact dance methinks.

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Me being a complete noob to doubles (i.e. this weekend) I have no idea what this means. Its my lingo that is lacking in knowledge so please feel free to update my lexicon.

Welcome to the wonderful world of doubles ado-p! may you have much fun. I would love to help you out but that move has left me scratching my head as well. confused
I suggest kidnapping a dead spinner and forcing them to reveal all at poi point...

A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
smile Thankee. I love it. We must of spent at least 60 hours (maybe 8hrs sleep) spinning since we put together our doubles last week.

I'll starting posting what i've picked up so far in me own thread but must figure out what the hell i've learned first.

If you could catch one of those dead spinners and post em over to Eire for me i'd be much obliged.

Do i need a secret handshake to learn from a dead spinner?

Love is the law.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
They're not the best descriptions (it was about midnight, and we'd been spinning for a while and feeling a bit knackered).

Alternate time forwards means:

- both staffs are going 'forwards' (RH staff is clockwise, LH staff is anticlockwise)
- when one staff is in front of the body, the other is behind it

The basic pattern (don't think it's a weave, but it might be a 2 beat weave... doesn't matter) is:

RH over left arm, RH under left arm, RH over.... lather rinse repeat. All lovely wall plane.

The front half of the figure 8 has the RH staff coming across the body, thumb first. Let it carry on across, until it is pinky first, and that's the end that goes behind the left arm. It does one beat there, and then comes out and enters pinky first under the left arm. (I'll check that to make sure it's not lies at lunchtime wink )

Then there's the same thing on the other side.

So it goes:

R over L, R under L, L over R, L under R

The first two (RoL, RuL) are done out to the left side of the body. The second two are on the right side of the body. Hence for the transition (RuL->LoR), you can either:

- bring the right hand back across the body, then out to the right, then follow with the left, which is clearly the pansy way to do it, as there's a whole beat where you're not doing anything difficult

or

- bring the left hand across the body while the right hand is still on the left side of the body, so you hug yourself. Which hurts more, and is hence better.

Written by:

Also trying to get both staffs off center on opposite sides of one foot. kick straight up into a butterfly.

Yup, that's great fun. I've also been playing with dropping crosses onto feet and kicking them back up:

spin same time reverse, then let them lock up in front of you, so that sticks are a diagonal cross in front of you. Move the cross most of the way to the horizontal, and drop it. Bring your foot up to meet it so you can catch it gently and flick it back up. After a while, it should stay as a cross. If you play with the cross point, then you should be able to get it to come out spinning slowly in butterfly, just like above biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyle McLean

I suggest kidnapping a dead spinner and forcing them to reveal all at poi point...

We're not allowed to talk about videos that don't exist yet, so we won't, will we ben? biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Waheyy!!!

I can do it so.... at least half of it anyway.

I've been going

forwards spinning RoL x2, cross to other side, LoR x2 and turn body 180

reverse spinning RuL x2, cross to other side, LuR x2.

planes are much better when hugging#

I think i see what your doing. Sweet, will try tonight.

edit/

i forgot to mention that it was Faberge who showed me how to do this. She's only been spinning a week and a half and never played with singles. Incredible.

Dropping crosses... you'se people is crazy.... I cant even pick up a cross let alone catch one ubblol

EDITED_BY: ado-p (1101140883)

Love is the law.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Hmmm cross on the foot? ubbidea

I will have to run away and play with that. Have been messing around with some great contact stuff with a cross but it is all a bit too random at the moment for details. Just playage and wiggling all that...

edit:

btw, there is a three staff star that might or might not be easier to move around then what you guys are using. If you place a cross on top of the third stick it can be held in one hand and change hands too. This is the cross x and the third stick (the base) is under the other two pointing from the screen to you in such a way that you only see a dot. Much fun.

A) it does feel as good

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
A video would be juicy ubblove
Otherwise we will just have to kidnap you and THEN make a video (which seems to be the in theing these days.)
eek:shudders at bad taste:

A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hey hey I did it.

only on one side so far, its uber cool though. bit of a mind job aswell.

and that hug thing. no idea.

*toddles iff to figure it out*

Love is the law.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yep I see wot you mean by hug transition - I think I do the same move in my Under the Bridge vid, but without the hug transition (I think I did a TTN transition). I want to learn the poi straight jacket (I think?) weaves, which will lead to all sorts of hug transition goodness on sticks.

smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:

did it biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

Written by: Kyle McLean

We're not allowed to talk about videos that don't exist yet, so we won't, will we ben? biggrin

rolleyes videos that dont exist yet? how could we talk about them that doesnt make any sense at all seeings theres no forum for possible videos smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Seeing as this video is of the non-existing variety, it is not possible but impossible. So not having a forum for possible videos is no excuse. Besides, everyone likes visual art when the artist(s) are dead smile

A) it does feel as good

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
one would think so wouldnt one.but then nothing is impossible, impossiblity is just a human construct.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Josh

(I think I did a TTN transition).

Josh

Is there anywhere an explanation of this type of move? It sounds sweet but upon a durbs i get more poi than stick....

I'll try to work it out tonight.
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1101314191)

Love is the law.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Ahhh. so the impossible is possible ubbloco
Speaking of which, I think I might have just understood this hug stuff ubbidea
Wish my sticks were not a long cold dark bike ride away...

A) it does feel as good

Page: