spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
There have been lots of talk of atoms recently, but none really about the difference between atoms (where the centre of rotation of each poi is the same point) and boxes (where the planes of each poi meet at a corner). Are there differences and if so, what are they? The two concepts seem pretty linked, but there certainly seems to be things which are different about them - atoms seem conceptually similar to buzzsaws whereas boxes seem closer to non-inverted moves when you look at where the centres of rotation are.

Will post more here as and when I get more of a chance to play around with this smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
perhaps atomic weave is a buzzsaw box weave???

Also becaues of the added planes in boxes you can have 2 poi in one plane, 1 poi on one face and one on an adjoining face, or on opposite faces (like regular weaves)

I've never seen people do atomic plane changes.

I do nothing atomic, only box so i dunno really.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i think with atomic each poi stays in its plane (eg one in wall and one in wheel), so they allways at 90 degrees to each other, and with a box each poi switches planes (eg from wheel to wall) at the corners of the box... or thats how i understand it.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yup. "box" is a crossover overlay
"atomic" is a plane overlay
so mathematically you can put them together to get...

a mess

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
poipoipois boxes are 90 degree plane changes, mine are just seperated atoms.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
>>perhaps atomic weave is a buzzsaw box weave???

>>I've never seen people do atomic plane changes.

aren't atomic weaves technically just 90 degree plane changes, w/ forward or reverse character? what else do you mean by plane changes? corkscrew atomic -> wall plane atomic? maybe i need to see what you fully mean by box weaves. does that involve plane changing without turning from forward to reverse (or v/versa)?

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1100999046)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
atomic weaves have no planes changes, thats what makes them hard, box weaves either mean transitioning planes 90 degrees instead of 180, or just doing atom weaves but seperated so the poi touch at the edge of the circles, rather than being meshed together with the same centre point for both planes (atoms).

An atom is just spinning with one poi at 90 degrees to the other. They are hugly vast (good language) cos the planes involved have 3 basic variations and lots more 'quarter positon' placements between them. and thats without looking at invert atoms either. ubbloco

T wave

-><- Kallisti

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I see it this way:

Atom -

oo
V

Box:

oo
/\

with 90° digree plane inclination.

POI THEO(R)IST

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Atom -

oo
V

Box:

oo
/\

^^^erm

???

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hello, my name is Dennis and I collect sausages.
I completly understand these Owl pictures and I can see that this is the OWL part of HOP.

If you see any OWLs, then please inform a member of this thread.

Owls are not arbitrarily deaf, dumb and blind.

They have an inbuilt sixth sense sonic radar detector thing implanted in thier heads that cause them to screetch majesticly in the night.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
thanks ucof, cos we really needed *more* off topic confusion in this thread.

Richee, I have absolutly no idea what you are on about.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
nix i would propose to make a term difference btwn atoms that open up so the edges are touching instead of centers, and box weaves, but i didn't bring up the "box" term and don't know too much about how you define it... since atomics are a plane overlay the ones with edges touching to create boxlike shapes are just "opened up" atomics... whereas it seems box weaves are a crossover overlay very similar to trinity. (they are essentially the same but one is more drastic) And esp. since you could open up boxes and have what looked like atomics- you have to styay consistent with your math. do i understand your terms right?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I saw a sad owl and a happy owl.

However i did not see any atoms or atomics.

Can someone tell me what these are.

Oh, I know, do a durb!

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
shure, ok from now on im gonna call them seperated atoms and 90 degree shifting box spinning.

the reason i called them boxes in the first place (some time ago now) was because I was into making square trails with circles, which isnt what box spinning does, but hey, we all change wink

T wave

-><- Kallisti

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
haha. i understand the diagrams!! i'm assuming the spinner's facing down and those balls are his hands (instead of any of thousands of funnier options). he's saying in his world boxes are hands together, planes 90 degrees; atoms are hands apart, planes 90 degrees... sounds backwards, even assuming he wasn't comparing transitions to moves...

-- dut

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'd agree that's backwards - atoms are hands together, boxes are hands apart.

With boxes you can do any normal wall/wheel plane move just by splitting the planes apart to 90 degrees because there's enough room to avoid colliding... don't think you can with atoms though.

"Moo," said the happy cow.