Forums > Social Chat > U.S dollar vs the Euro

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
ok so with all this alkt about th U.S. economy getting better, i just read a story on msnbc.msn.com that the dollar is at its all time low against the Euro.........so to all you who have Euro's and would like to be a little richer, just come on over! as for me im NOT comeing over there 'casue i don't need to be reminded how broke I am wink

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
yeah i noticed the other day that $10 is only worth about £5.40 these days, it always used to be worth about £6.70

The american economy is completely fecked. America has enormous debts, over $7,000,000,000,000 ~ that's about $25,000 per person.

But the good old US of A refuses to pay their debts, the simple truth is that america cannot afford the war in iraq, nor can they afford to put weapons in space. But they carry on regardless. It's a similar story with the UK.

here's an interesting link https://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

1,489 posts

Posted:
oh nice link thank you poi3

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
have another https://costofwar.com/

smile

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

1,489 posts

Posted:
yea i have seen that one

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
It's great news for us folk over in Europe! We can happily gloat at you for having a messed up economy whilst popping over to buy cheap electronics. Cool!

1,489 posts

Posted:
ubblol thats messed up dom........

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah... no doubt! I'm siked that Molly is coming to town from Edinburgh... she's gonna feel RICH!

Unfortunately, as bad as the economy is, I still think the cost of living is so much lower here that it all works out for me personally.

I probably make AT LEAST triple the salary that I'd be making in the UK and things cost at most half as much here.

Hrm... lemme go do some math. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Starting UK teacher salary: 17K pounds (31K dollars)
Top UK teacher salary: 25K pounds (46K dollars)

[https://www.natfhe.org.uk/says/lect0112/feat0004.html]

Top teaching salary in my district: 54K pounds (100K dollars)

Also... the cost of living is SO much less here.

A brand new Honda Civic starts at 7K pounds ($13K) here.
A brand new Honda Civic starts at 10K pounds ($18K) in the UK.

(I just happen to drive a Honda Civic.)

SO...
A top teacher in the UK earns 2.5 Honda Civics a year.
A top teacher in my district earns 5.4 Honda Civics a year.

That's more than double.

And common groceries are HALF what they are in the UK.

A 2 liter bottle of Pepsi is on sale at my favorite UK store (Scotmid) for 1.32 pounds. On sale this week at Shoprite in the US for $0.89. That's 0.48 pounds! Almost a third.

Top teacher in the UK can buy 18,656 2L pepsis a year.
Top teacher in my district can buy 112359 of the exact same bottles.

That's 6 times as many bottles.

So I make more than double what I would there and most things cost about half here. And our taxes are less.

It pays to be a middle class white man in the US. Just ask George Bush.

But yeah, when we're on our many European Vacations we do grumble that we're paying 3 times what we'd pay for pepsi back home. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
its true that the american economy is not doing to well, but according to the pres its getting better.. thats what he promised at least..
but if europe continues to grow the way it does, and the EU continues to add new members, eventually europe will become self sufficient and wont need nearly as many imports from the states.. that will f*** up their economy even more.. and if we dont need them financially, then they wont be able to afford our exports any more.. thus, they will probly go to countries like china and brazil, who are coming up quickly

but, since china is becoming a powerful economic power, i think they will start selling and importing goods from there.. which will stimulate chinas economy too..

580 posts

Posted:
interesting facts NYC.. but dont forget that pepsi is originally an american product.. then again, honda is neither american nor english (or is it?)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh... and note I just picked "Honda Civics" and "Pepsi" because they were easy. Having shopped in the UK and the US I can vouch that the general trend is true. We have soda that is cheaper than Pepsi and cars that are cheaper than the Honda Civic. And school districts that make more than mine.

Oh, and those that know me know I'd never brag about such a thing. I'm certainly very critical of my country. But it may help explain to those overseas how even a damaged US economy still can have so many powerful global corporations and WHY the American people are so satisfied with the status quo.

I hate to say it but... life is good here. Just ask 54 million voters. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: stickman

interesting facts NYC.. but dont forget that pepsi is originally an american product.. then again, honda is neither american nor english (or is it?)

Yeah... I clarified that.

Fine...

Mini Cooper:

UK lists starting at 10.5 K Pounds = $19.4 K

US lists starting at 8.6 K Pounds = $16 K

Doc Martins are cheaper here. (!)

Produce is way cheaper here.

Water, Electricity, Gasoline, every major product you buy every day that's not specific to the UK (and some that are!) is way cheaper here.

I paid $3 for an eyebolt for poi that I can't possibly pay more than $0.50 here. And there's tons more selection here.

And don't even mention cigarettes. wink But I don't smoke.

Anybody who's been to both places can agree. And I live in an expensive city by US standards. You go out to those 'red states' and you can buy bottles of soda for pennies. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

580 posts

Posted:
about ciggies.. last i heard a pack of cigs in NYC cost about 6 bucks.. maybe more.. over here (in holland) its 4 euros max.. rolling tobacco with two packs of papers is 5 max.. in vienna regular ciggies are 3.50 euros max.. so specific to NYC, how much are they there?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well you'd never buy cigarettes in a store in New York. We've got the highest tax of any city anywhere (Yay!)

But if you order them online they're crazy cheap. Maybe $20 max for name brand American made Malboros. And thats a case. 200 cigarettes.

Lemme check what you can get them for in the stores.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No idea.

They're expensive because they're taxed by the CITY and STATE a ton. If you're a smoker, drive down to virginia and load up your trunk.

In most of the US Cigarettes are very very cheap. Way cheaper than in the UK anyway.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In West Virginia the price per pack in 2001 was under $2.

In CITIES like New York it's more like 5.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

580 posts

Posted:
If you compare prices to the UK, then obviously they will be cheaper where you are. the UK is just too bloody expensive! I wonder what a bottle of pepsi costs here. what size are we talking.. in metric terms pls.. dont know your system..

ill get back to you on that..

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
He said so in his first post: 2 Litres of Pepsi Cola. In England it costs 1.32 pounds, in US it costs about 0.48 pounds.

UK is pretty expensive allright, Holland is usually cheaper. Why is that ? High taxes or something ? In Holland you have to pay 19% tax on just about everything you buy. On smokes and booze and stuff like that goes extra taxes.

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

580 posts

Posted:
yea high taxes and a general high standard of living.. although holland has a 'high' standard of living too peace

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I don't know about all this economy stuff, and I know that stuff is expensive here in the UK, and that we are taxed stupid for fags and petrol.
But I really don't want us to have the Euro. I'm used to pounds, I like them.
Anyhow, I have already lived through one currency change, (£.s.d) and I shouldn't have to deal with another.
Mind you, if they said go back to £.s.d. I'd vote yes, it was weird, and very eccentric, but that's what was good about it. And the names, like 'florin' and the history, like the d. was from the Roman 'denarii'.
And it was ours, and then they stole it off us!
Not fair.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

580 posts

Posted:
alright, you can keep your pounds.. we dont want you in our wonderful, marvelous, amazing, spectacular eurozone anyways.. so, so, so,.. well, just so!! biggrin biggrin

EURO RULES!!!!!

btw, im joking.. its hard to portray sarcasm in writing.. but i have to say the change from schilling (i was in vienna at the time) to euro was not that hard to adjust to... even tho one euro is 13.7103 schillings and it seemed like we had no money all of a sudden.. 100 schillings is about 7.5 euros.. and besides that and the fact that i was spending too much cuz i was like, whatever its just 10 euros (almost 140 schillings!!) i like the euro..
its helpful when travelling within europe.. no currency changes and therefore no losing money due to currency rates and the banks being greedy

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
So you got used to it pretty easy?

I don't hate the Euro, I'm just used to the pound, I don't know if I could get used to new money.

Any way, all Europe hates Britain. That's what the Sun says anyhow.
And the Sun always tells the truth.
ubblol

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I quite like the American economy at the moment - dad is buying me US dollars today for next year while it's low! smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
The cost (to us directly) of a six month stay in intensive care in the UK: $0. In the US:$ I dare not think.

Exchange rates are transient beings that wizz up and down depending on, amoung other things: the interest rates at the bank; the quarterly returns from some major comanpies; and whether the President has shot his mouth off recently.

Give it a few months and it'll reverse, quite recently there was $1.3 to the pound, last time I looked it was $1.8

In the meantime take full advantage, go to the countries who peg thair currency to the greenbuck like Vietnam, China, a whole heap of South American ones and you'll get a good deal there too.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Eera

The cost (to us directly) of a six month stay in intensive care in the UK: $0. In the US:$ I dare not think.

I've never paid a dime for heath care. I've had surgery, rehabilitation, check ups and countless colds and flus. I pay $5 (3 quid) if I get a prescription filled for some things and the rest are free. Health coverage is another perk of being a school teacher (or working for any established company in the US.)

I feel guilty because I feel like I'm bragging, which is not my intent. I do think the world has a skewed view of what it is to be in middle class America.

Y'all know that I Ameribash like the rest of y'all. I just don't many foreigners realize that it's a class issue as well.

For MIDDLE CLASS WHITE AMERICA, we have:

Great Schools
Great Healthcare
Low Taxes
Fantastic Job Security and Availability
Huge Opportunity for Advanced Education
HUGE Opportunity to Make More Money if you already HAVE money.
Extremely low cost of living.

And if you're RICH, it's EVEN BETTER.

You just don't want to be poor or undereducated. Cuz then you're SCREWED. frown

Perhaps that will shed some light on "Why Americans do the stupid things they do."

I don't think most Americans are as stupid as the world thinks they are. I think they're selfish and satisfied with the status quo.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

580 posts

Posted:
oh, by the way the price of a 2 liter pepsi bottle here in holland is about 1.19 euros. so thats, how many poinds.. i dont know exactly but less than in england and more than in the US. so the UK is just absurdly expensive.. im guessing that it wont cost much more in france or austria than it does here.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Written by:

but i have to say the change from schilling (i was in vienna at the time)

ahhh nostalgia

things did get more expensive tho
but its hard to figure out whether thats cause of the euro or because of other factors. i remeber 1000 schillings being a cr@pload of money and now 75 euros is what you can spend on one weekend, without even noticing. (not that i do, im way to broke all the time)

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by:

oh, by the way the price of a 2 liter pepsi bottle here in holland is about 1.19 euros. so thats, how many poinds.. i dont know exactly but less than in england and more than in the US. so the UK is just absurdly expensive.. im guessing that it wont cost much more in france or austria than it does here.

yeah, Berlin is cheaper still - can get a liter of Pepesi for 0.99 euro if I look around. that is about US$1.25. I also have a good sized apartment for 420 euros a month - about $500, which is about the cheapest I could hope to pay for the same size apartment in Houston (and it would be in a lot crappier shape there) and easily 1/2 what I would pay for that apartment in LA. No telling what it would cost in new york city! eek

going out to eat is invariably about 10 euros per person here at a nice place, and 5 - 7 pp at a cheap place - again comppareable to housoton in absolute value. Grocery store prices are on average about 20% higher than what I remember paying the states 2 years ago.

I make 40k euro a year (~US$50k) - which is the best I could hope to be paid as a post doc in the USA, and only in an expensive place like San Francisco.

The kicker here is taxes - being single and having no dependants put me at a whopping 48% taxes I have to pay!!! Now this figure does include my medical insurance, so that mitigates the difference from what I would be paying in the US (I think I would be paying in the low 20% tax bracket there), but still - big time OUCH! Also there is a value added tax on almost everything - making things about 15% more expensive than they might otherwise be (accounts largely for the grocery price difference I think?)

Public transit aint cheap here - 80 euros for a month pass if you don't qualify for discounts. But then I don't have to bother owning a car and I am all good with that.

Basically - I live about as good here in Berlin as I could hope to in the USA with the same job. Some things are different, and some things are cheaper here, other more expensive, but it's about the same.

Berlin is definitely on of the cheapest western european big cities though.

I'll say this though - Germany is EXTREMEMLY innefficient in how it uses its tax revenue. but that is the subject for another thread I do not have time to start today...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i don't want to display too much chauvanism here, as ireland is officially the most expensive country in europe, but hey, we came out trumps on this international survery yesterday! smile ireland has officially the best quality of life in the world

Written by: NYC

But yeah, when we're on our many European vacations we do grumble that we're paying 3 times what we'd pay for pepsi back home. wink

that's just not true, you're actually talking about a very small minority, as only an average of 20% of americans own passports

(not sure which of these sites is completely accurate but you get the picture....)

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
NYC - those salaries you quote are probably for state schools. I know teachers earning a lot more in private schools. There's still the option to move over if you want wink

London is the 2nd most expensive place to live in the World. New York is 12th. In a recent survey the UK only came 29th in the quality of life ratings (US 13th, Norway 3rd wink). It's expensive, smelly, crowded and full of English people, but I love it. Will live somewhere else soon, but not yet.

Page: