Forums > Social Chat > what do you do for a living ?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
i am applying for a position at an indoor climbing gym , and im hoping to become the assist. manager there ! the thought came up when one of my friends sent me an email and it asked what was my dream job ? well my dream job would be to do some freelance work for national geographic adventure mag. , however i do realy feel that this job that im applying for will run in a very close second . i love to climb and i love people ! its that easy ... biggrin

so just though id find out what other peoples professions(or non professions) are/were and what your dream job would be ????

wink

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i was in fashion for a couple of years after college, then worked for a number of years as an aircraft interior furnishings designer in the netherlands

currently in an office in dublin working with dutch taxes

almost ready to take a year off and do nothing but chill & travel

dream job? my goal is to eventually own a retreat centre somewhere in the irish countryside for meditation & tai chi, and that would also offer courses in yoga, reiki and other alternative medicines & therapies ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

dream job? my goal is to eventually own a retreat centre somewhere in the irish countryside for meditation & tai chi, and that would also offer courses in yoga, reiki and other alternative medicines & therapies ubbrollsmile

No spinning?

hmmm

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

dream job? my goal is to eventually own a retreat centre somewhere in the irish countryside for meditation & tai chi, and that would also offer courses in yoga, reiki and other alternative medicines & therapies. attendants will of course be welcome to bring all manner of fire/non-fire toys as indoor and outdoor spinning space is a prerequisite ubbrollsmile

No spinning?

hmmm

what, are you blind? wink

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I work for a theatre company as a general everything, from set design and construction to lighting, to actor, director, office adminis-trivia and publicity. I also co-run a professional fire troupe, and I teach fire twirling to kids... in between all of this I do film and TV work as an Actor/ bit part/ commercials etc, always busy, generally happy biggrin

My dream job would be to work as a full time theatrical actor or a tight-rope walker in a nice, huge circus biggrin

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
oK - then i must not be destined to become a great spinner as i'm a computer programmer completely by accident mind!

My dream job is to run my own dance studio - i am a fully qualified teacher! so i suppose there is the creative side of me!

Gayle.....!

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:

i was in fashion for a couple of years after college, ....

does that mean its not fashionable to be several years out of college? ubblol ubblol ubblol

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ubblol jeez, i had no idea how bad that sounded ubblol

i was in fashion...... hmmm.... but i'm all washed up now....

*pictures teenagers strutting about with me on their t-shirts & button badges*

good god what a dreadful thought ubblol

the 'rag-trade' is what i meant wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I have the least exciting job of you all so far. I sell beds. Yep thats right, I spend all day telling people about open coil springs v pocketsprings, hard v soft (keep it clean now people) motionbeds v static, bed frames v divans....... its utterly thrilling. If one more person says to me after I've told them they really need to lay down on a bed to see if it suits them "but I might fall asleep if I lay on it!" or "will you test it out with me to get a real feel of it wink " Oh ha ha ha... thank the lord I wore my corset for I fear my sides have split with all the laughing! I think I've heard every crap chat up line in the book whilst trying to sell beds. I can almost sell a bed now without having to think about what I say. So if I get a customer that is driving me nuts I just switch on auto-pilot.

There is one advantage to selling beds. We get very few shoplifters. Its not so easy to hide a double divan with attached headboard up your jumper! Oh and the other one is the people there. The factory out back is full of oddballs so there is always fun to be had there.

My ideal job..... hmmm I don't know. I was always the one that when asked at school in the careers advice meeting what did I want to do when I left school that said "I have no idea". I still don't really. ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
im a phd student making evil robots to take over the world while traveling round the uk

ideal job doing research for my own multinational company making evil robots of doom to take over the world while being pampered traveling round sunny warm tropical like locations in 5 star hotels

time till realisation of ideal job, 2 years

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
since I just got answered this on the phone, I figured I might as well answer it here as well...

I'm a statistician. I work at a medical school and deal with the image analysis of protein 2D gels. Now, I've never actually run one of these things myself, nor do I really know how they are run, but I sure do know how to look at the resulting protein spots and use software to determine if a protein spot on say a control sample gel is in a significantly different amount than that same protein spot on a diseased or treated sample gel.

What it has to do with stats? Not a whole lot, but that's part of the reason it's interesting to me. It's something new and different, but yet something that I can apply my grad school knowledge to.

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
Librarian through the days, Swimming instructor for wee ones in the afternoons and weekends and i work in an incoming call centre in the evenings/weekends/days off. Think i have time for one more so handing out resume's at some bars/ resturants today wink
Never wanted stuff before, but now i want to travel and i want a computer and an ipod and a new guitar and a portable drum (mine is just too BIG) and i want to beable to afford to replace kevlar rather then twirling with rags. wink
At the monent i would like to travel and fire/music busk as work on the way, but eventually i would like to do somthing that owuld allow me to live in the rainforest and work from my computer/ or just accassionly. No idea what.
hug to all who are doing what they love.

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

WonderlushBRONZE Member
Haven't you heard? I come in six-packs now.
134 posts

Posted:
I work as a technician at a dialysis clinic. That's for people with renal(kidney) failure for those who don't know. I make sure the artificial kidneys(dialyzers) they use are working properly by submitting them to a series of diagnostic tests after every treatment. Not the most exciting job, but it's nice to know I'm helping people in some way and it leaves me with plenty of time to play music and surf(I only work three 12-hour shifts a week) smile

I do play music for money sometimes as well, but that isn't very steady and it never seems to pay all that much

If you can talk you can sing / If you can walk you can dance

fiendishMember
51 posts

Posted:
Mostly i'm a humble waste disposal engineer(read cleaner)
but i've been doing some courses and have found a little extra
teaching yoga on weekends,& during the week I"m a masseuse although at the mo it's just for friends

I also do clowning at kids parties and fire breathing &juggling for big persons parties.

p.sI love your signature wonderlush

"Aaah fire. Scourge of Prometheus,toaster of marshmallows & irradicator of small children..." SideshowBob.

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

I try my best to be self imployed Graphic Designer

fiendishMember
51 posts

Posted:
Hay Faberge,
Your dream job retreat sounds pretty cruisy do you need any extra yoga teachers ?

I'm also doing Bagwazhang ( a healing martial art like taiji) I'll be at instructor level in about 2more yrs

"Aaah fire. Scourge of Prometheus,toaster of marshmallows & irradicator of small children..." SideshowBob.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'm sure i'll need yoga teachers, as i don't do any yoga myself, so yeah, i'll keep ya posted wink

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
I'm a writer.

Dream job is without doubt doing what David Attenborough does.

PS. Fab..Consider me a dead cert customer when you get your retreat up and running smile

It's smashing to be back x

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I stuff envelopes for local government in the week, at the weekends I teach Drama to sprogs...

My dream job would be a film actor in the style of Ian McKellen, or Pete Postlethwaite, you know, get 1 quality timeless film under my belt and do TV drama too.

I hate soaps

Im hopefully going to drama school next year to fulfil that dream...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
im at school so all i do all day is sit around, spin some glowsticks, drink a little, a smoke occationally.

my dream job would be...sitting around, spining some glowsticks, getting tore up on alcohol and anything that will fit into a pipe...maybe i can be a lab rat...

If I could be granted one wish I would ask for all the questions of the universe.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Written by: Burning Brain

anything that will fit into a pipe...

eek My pet hermit crab would fit in a pipe

I'm a graphic designer/programmer during the day, fire performer at night. Trying to break into video production right now, dream job would be flying for a living.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Journalism Student and all round lazy bastard.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
yea im a "student" who doesnt goto class and gets paid to push old farts around a hospital.

dream job...you put me in a theater and im gonna be happy....no questions asked. i could be moping the stage for all i care and i would be happy.

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i am a bar tender at a cocktail bar which i love cos i get to encorportate poi skills with throwing bottles into the air and doing odd things to them, i cant juggle though so its more of the movement side of poi that comes useful, plus i cant light them, oh well still fun, i'm a studen

also my dream job is also my secret job, ima thunderbird but sssh dont say to anyone!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
And I'm Lady Penelope (Home Parker) biggrin :

I'm a national account manager selling food to the catering trade - money's great, hours are [censored] and tho there's a lot of people I like just cos they're decent people, there's no-one like me - constantly feel a mis-fit & a freak

Never really deiced what I want to do when I grow up - so I haven't bothered, growing up that is. always wanted to work with children but I just can't deal with bureaucracy and institutions and rules - kids are worth more than that * gets off soap box*

but also always wanted to sing and now I finally realise I can hold a tune and people actually like to hear me warble it's too late to do anything with it - damn lack of confidence!

so hence poi - it's the 1st thing I've found that gives me a buzz and I can do it just for me ubbrollsmile bounce2

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I volunteer for home-start and social services, i also work in admin for home start, look after my kids, am in the process of starting my own business, and a youth group to coincide with the residents assosiation i am also setting up. i am neighborhood watch co-ordinator... errrr oh yeah i am about to study to become a qualified youth worker, and i also with the help of my brother run the family allotment which has chickens.
oh yeah also a Pagan Witch.

yup thats me hug ubbloco

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well, i used to lug beer around for a living until it broke my back 2 years ago and on the weekends performing all over the UK in nightclubs.
I then went into performing with those crazy cats at te POOKa for several months and got to do loads of cool stuff and go to places id never imagined.
having taken a year out from performing due to suffering really bad depression im now passing my training to be a licensee and get to move back home to sheffield and run my own pub... and thats my dream job *my own pub and to be back in sheffield*.

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
My dream job..... be paid to travel... but I don't liek sponsership... so couldn't do it even if I had the chance to - go figure???!!?! ubbloco

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

cranmerenewbie
19 posts

Posted:
I'm a botanist, at the moment working on hedgerow plants in farming areas to see what effects chemical use has. I would have loved to have been a singer (my favourite is early and Tudor music) but I didn't realise that my voice probably /was/ good enough until too late frown

Pat in Somerset, England

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
uh, i'm a full-time smoker, but i have a part-time drinking job, and i'm also a full-time spender. once a week i have class doing a 'maîtrise' (4th year undergrad) in english media and literature, and my hobby is sleeping.

damn, i wonder how i manage to fit all that in a week, i must be overworked.

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, dream job: freelance journalist, published poet, novelist... all around recognized thinker.

i know, wishful thinking... but its better than reality

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

Page: