Forums > Help! > Cine film to DVD/mpeg whatever

Login/Join to Participate

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm hoping someone can help me with this....

After watching Oli's video "Stix & Socks" and seeing how it's all in oldie style film I remembered that I have an old cine camera so thought it'd be cool to do a 3 minute sock waving movie all in cinefilm, b/w, dressed up all old stylee 40's clothing and stuff. But the problem is it's not exaclty easy to post a link to it so is there anyone out there who can/knows how to move the film from a cine roll onto a pc so I can get it done?

Any help much appreciated hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
my dad did it a while back , he tunrned all teh cini film we had into vcr

or you would film it in dv and then give it a plug in to turn it into a cini film efect?

Step (el-nombrie)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Project the cine film onto a screen and film the screen with a dv camera. easy.

Just make sure the cine film doesn't get stuck, the light will burn through the film in a second.

Look forward to it,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i thought of that, but counted it out due to the very crappy nature of cini films to get stuck, and burn up

plus, getting hold of a cini cam and cini film and a rojector might be a lil hard?

Step (el-nombrie)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
there are also film scanners - though many hollywood movies are relaesed in digital format, they are still almost exclusively filmed on old fashion film and scanned into digital format frame by frame for amnipulation/special effects. if the projector and digital movie camera thing doesn't work out, perhaps it may be possible to rent a film scanner?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
that is a pretty big job but totally possible. I swear you won't be able to tell the difference to filming the screen tho. Might have to experiment with the shutter speed of the dv camera. But cine films are only a few minutes long so you can try and try again.

I guess if the shutter speed is exactly the same you will either see every frame on or every frame off. Perhaps if you use double the shutter speed and then remove every other frame, should get a good result.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I like the scanning thing but I imagine it must be quite expensive, although I'm getting a DV camera at xmas/post xmas sales and never thought of filming the film playing! Cood idea, especially as I could add effects old skool by drawing onto the projection screen or wall or whatever it's displayed on. Cheers Matt you're a star.

Step, what was this place that your Dad took his cine film too? Any idea how much it cost per film? I've got some other films like 40's felix the cat and other cartoons and stuff that I wanna cut into the movie but don't wanna cut such old film if you know what I mean, it'd be a shame to lose it on the cutting room floor if I could just do it on my pc instead

Thanks guys hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove