Forums > Social Chat > If you won the Lotto...

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So let's suppose you won a Lotto for, say, US$ 75 million. What would you do with the money?

My angle would be to try to get as much of it without paying taxes. The way to do that is by giving most of it away.

Ok, now if I won all that money, I'd need to take some for myself. New car (because...what else do you do when you win the Lotto?), new computer, buy a house, pay my parents back for my education, and in general put some away for my own amusement.

Then, I would announce a huge HOP gathering somewhere in the Netherlands (for obvious reasons). I would buy airline tickets for anyone on the boards who wanted to go. I'd get good DJ's and all that stuff. I'd cover food and water and stuff like that...oh my lord, what a party it would be. Burning Man wouldn't hold a candle to it...

All in all, maybe that would take 2 million, tops.

I'd start two grants: one for people researching neurological psychiatry (clinical stuff) and one for people researching neurobiology. I'd have to figure out how to keep it renewable. I'd probably be able to get some help from corporate sponsors. That would be maybe 25 million, leaving 47 million.

I'd get my lab a brand-spanking new shiny electron microscope with a multi-axis tilt stage. I'd also get them a 3-D display. 3 million there, bringing it to 43 million.

My house at Stanford would get completely renovated so that it would retain its original charm, but be in good shape for the next 75 years or so. And I'd put away money in a fund so that the house can be completely gutted and rebuilt every 50 years. There goes another 20 million, leaving me with 23 million.

All the dorms at Stanford would get elevators for disabled accessibility. Down 5 million to 18 million.

DanceSafe and the ACLU would get $5 million each. 8 million left.

That would go to start a race-blind need-based scholarship at the University of Michigan Medical School.

But, when you think about all the good I could do with that sort of money, here's a thought that will sober you up: A new Boeing 747-400 costs US$215 million.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
i know i know, family board and all...

but if you have access to a August 2002 Playboy
[women of enron cover]
there's a great article about this very subject.. a very poor man in eastern kentucky split a $295 million powerball.. and helped many people with his winnings.
can't figure out why many people said fate chose the wrong person to win?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Keep 10 million for meself and ma family...
Give the rest to charity (glass you would be one the list as you know where it should go!).. Much love to the fragile man...

I dont care for money or fame...

I care for love and hapiness...

The happiest people I know are poor... and I mean no windows in their house kinda poor (shanty town in 'developing country' kinda poor) and they have such an appetite for life... Incredible how the world works really!

I would love to hepl thos in need! First I must help meself then flying (andrew pay attention!) will be possible!

Ya adore le monde! Tut le monde! (el mundo, o mundo)
Muito amor para voces, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
In case anyone is interested $75m US is £47,555,643.43 GBP$115,837,442.90 CAD$134,770,873.73 AUD$153,688,573.94 NZDIf anyone cares at all that is.....

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
In case anyone is interested $75m US is £47,555,643.43 GBP$115,837,442.90 CAD$134,770,873.73 AUD$153,688,573.94 NZDIf anyone cares at all that is.....
Why do you suppose that it seems like GB is the only English-speaking country to use a currency other than the "dollar."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
they're money is worth more than ours too.

:/

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
You know Mike if you live in good ole Auzzie land we wont tax you a cent on lotto winnigns or any other winnings for that matter

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And I read some place that Australia is crying out for good medics/doctors etc. You could go there with your winning a treat folks for free....

Just a thought.

Meh

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
gets out her calculator

code:
$134,770,873.73 AUD

ok, theres gotta be that impulse buy that everyone does when they win lotto.... in my case it would be:
Green bass guitar at Mcanns Music shop $2169,
approx six pairs of sneakers, averaging at $90 each (i love sneakers, dont hate me for it) $540
Round world ticket: $2380
and a massive bunch of gerbera's, about $120
Total self indulgence: $5209

Invest a neat 20 Million, and out of that buy a house and car.

divey up the rest: Multiple Sclorosis Society $20 Million, My uncle has MS, and i couldnt sit there and watch him die anymore, if ihad that sort of money.

Sponser my sisters Job for five years: $36,000 a year, total of $180,000 (my sister runs youth camps and R.E classes in the Northern Territory)

World Vision Sponsership: $30 Million. Thats sponsership for approx 80,645 children for a year, and a few community wells thrown in.

I'd give $4 to my parents, and a Mill each to my siblings an my aunt. total $8 mill

I'd get my bf a computer and a car that actually worked! $70,000
ok, if my calcs are right, that leaves about
$56,515,664.73

Next! i'd set up a funding program for school students who get glandular fever, and tie it in with correspondance school. that way they can study at home: $100,000

another $20 for the Cancer Foundation, and $20 for the Aids Foundation
$16,415,664.73

I'd build a few new doctors surgerys in tassie $150,000 each, and fly some doctors over from the states to man them. $460,000
leaves me.... $15,955,664.73

donate $5 mill to the Australian Breast Cancer Council, and $5mill to the Red Nose Foundation, and $5mill to the Heart Foundation
that leaves me with $955,664.73

right about now, im gonna buy me a drink cos this adding up is making me thirsty... $2.20
$955642.53

take off $500,000 for promoting work for the dole within australia, i think its a worthwhile program but we need to increase workers skills rather than get them picking up litter.
$400,000 for a literacy in schools program.
$40,000 for a educating young women about safe sex program in school, too many 15 yr olds with babies.
Which leaves $15,642.53 and with that i'd set up my own small business and make my living so i can leave my decendants an ostentatious inheritance!

hehe sorry its so long ` oh, and if i added it wrong, take that last bit off and i'll go buy myself a new calculator and start again,,, *sigh*

[ 22 July 2002, 16:16: Message edited by: Flynt ]

Currently on the right side up of the world.