Forums > Social Discussion > Your Opinions on the Paranormal?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I don't want stories actually.

What I am looking for is do you believe?

If so, what do you believe in?

Do your beliefs stop at ghosts or do you think demons, werewolves, vampires are real?

What about possession?

UFO's and alien abductions?

What about those things that people can supposedly do? Magic (real, not David Copperfield)? Telepathy? Clair/Audiovoyance?
etc..etc...etc...

I ask because I recently resumed my role as a paranormal investigator. I did it years ago, and recently resumed it because it is something I really loved doing. I work with a group of people who seem to be more embracing and *want* to believe in it so much that I do not think they apply as much logic and science. Me, I apply logic and science until I run out of ideas and then still won't definitively say yes, just that it *could* be.

What I have noticed is that those who want to believe, find explainations for their exsistence where they don't really exsist. On the other hand those who choose not to believe will make up stupid explainations that make no sense to debunk something.
It can be quite hard to deal with.

So...where do you fit into all of htis and what do you think?

Thanks!
P~

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Fascinating stuff about the volcanic fissures in the Bermuda triangle. Pity nobody stopped to check the 'Burmuda triangle' is actually ONE OF THE SAFEST PATCHES OF OCEAN IN THE WORLD! Good grief people if you're going to investigate a phenomenon you could at least check that the actually is a phenomenon. As for human using only 10% of their brains, this is a myth. Human actually use most of their brains (although I'm starting to doubt it in some cases).

Wow! biggrin I feel much better after that. Well in case anyone was still wondering I don't believe in much of anything and I think metaphysics is a waste of time since the whole discussion is rendered useless by the limitations of our language and brains.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i see dead poeple.... smile

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: Superman

Super'

wow bounce bounce2 wave

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Superman

Super'

And I am seeing a missing person!

SUPERRRRRRRRRRR!
*pouncing on Superman*

PM me and tell you how you've been!!!!!!!

hug ubblove eek wow

(PS. sorry, lost my head for a moment there. Back to the normal conversation)

Pele

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i didnt notice untill i got older that i can sense something or someone in an area....i hate going antique shopping...you talk about getting chills when you get near old items, and i dont want to know why.

my grandmother use to tell me stories that use to give me the heebie geebies about her as a young girl, how her and her mother would har things and see things and told me that we were able to tap into the paranormal. She attributed it to the fact that my great grandmother (her mother) was a full blodded Cherokee Indian, and they believe in spirit guides and other related stuff. I chalked it up as malarky..but as i got older and i started to get these cold spots in places and began getting unsettled when other people wouldnt i started paying attention to it a little more and i have more of a respect ...(except when i chime in with a cheesy line from a movie) smile haaaaa

Pele..i miss you girl..i remeber a post about this yeeeeeears ago...

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
SUPERMAN? Holy crap.

I'm so stunned I can't even think of something witty and sarcastic to say.

Um... Hi!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
I don't really believe in God or Satan or the afterlife - But I believe in ghosts and the supernatural, all right smile

Pele - curious, what do you think of TAPS and their investigation strategies and such.
EDITED_BY: Julie2022 (1125495539)

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I'm on their message board.
They actually came to a site I investigated to work with a group I used to be a member of, and were duped by a magician and a sound engineer into believing they got evidence. It was soooo sad.

Because of that, I am not so sure.

I like their honesty and their approach, but I think they trust the people too much and don't look enough to proven science. I think that they know stuff going into investigations hurts them and that they don't look at geography and such...just the immediate elements there. I think that limits their scope.

Truth be told, I haven't watched this season except the first episode. I was so annoyed that they went somewhere that has been on other shows on Travel and Discovery Channel that I decided they have fallen for the corporate crap like everyone else. Besides, it's more personal drama than the search for truth and I have enough drama in my life without theirs. wink

Pele

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
i would like to belive in the paranormal and i am very interested in it, also i more belive in enrgy rather than ghosts. i also like to belive in magick but it seems to have been lost now

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
 Written by: musashii

Thoughts/intention are energy, why shouldn't someone sensitive enough be able to pick up on them.

Indeed. I believe being 'sensitive' has a big part to play in both 'seeing dead people' like Superman, and, being able to affect/effect (not sure which witch is which) bodies.

Ever heard of Nina Kulagina?
She dicovered her (psychic?) ability when she got angry one day and made a pot fall out of a cupboard. Many experimints were carried out with her abilities in controlled situations and at her home. She was able to move match sticks, manipulate magnetic fields? or just move a compass needle. She stopped a frogs heart beating and even sperated the yolk of an egg from the white in a container.

Their is a bit of information in wikipedia about her.

When she was manipulating these objects she used exptreme amounts of energy as she lost weight during the experiments.

I have added two videos to my gallery.
One of her with a compass. The table is checked for magnets. The other of her moving matches and other objects in a container.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11996

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11995

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Nice topic. Where does the human soul go when the organic matter that holds it ceases to function? This perhaps could be a thought into the presence of supernatural phenomenon......

As for werewolves and vampires, these are nothing more than folklore, Dracula being based on Vlad the Impaler (correct me if I'm wrong here folks) and other vampire stories are based on other (not so pleasant)warriors from days of yore, passed through generations of story tellers, exaggerated a little like chinese whispers every time they're told.

Now as for other paranormal activity I thought I might offer this thought for discussion (full credit to my lecturer for this one):

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand its workings, then we would be too simple to understand it.

Any other thoughts? confused

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
I think in straight lines. At my (fundementalist christian) high school I copped massive flack from my classmates (only covertly by the teachers) by refusing to believe the world was created within 7 days. (not even the bible says that, but we won't go there)

But I can't argue with some of the things I've seen and experienced. The presence in my bedroom, which I see about once a month.

Watching (apparently sane) friends cycle through three separate personalities in one night, never to see these personalities again. They told me specific and frightening things that this person would never have known about me.

I keep an open mind about things. I don't want to believe, I don't want to disbelieve.

The human mind is a strange thing. The world is a strange place. Sometimes things defy explanation.. until we find one.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
 Written by: wonderloey

The human mind is a strange thing. The world is a strange place. Sometimes things defy explanation.. until we find one.

Very well put. Do you think we should search for an explanation or wait until one presents itself? We could never find one. I quite like the mystery of it. The problem I find is the same as with religion - everyone has different experiences and therefore different opinions. Full respect to all though....... peace

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Haven't followed this thread thus far, so just stating MHO:

Human mind tries to explain the obvious, lack of information and experience... whooops, the image of Go(o)d comes up and naturally (the d)evil has to counter and balance it.

"We created God after our own image" Someone of this board stated this somewhere and I find this a very accurate assumption...

If there are angels, there must be demons (where there is light there must be shadow) - it's a natural law.

The appearance of said "ghosts" is connected to one's own imagination (much as everyone fears something different)... I perceive them to be bodyless manifestations of energy, can't really say whether they are "higher" or "lower" beings - just is as it is.

Certainly one can train her/himself in perceiving said spirits and forces - question is: why bother? Certainly one can commit onesself in serving or commanding said spirits, again: why bother?

But at the end of the day (to me) it's clear: the more meaning and control handed to them spirits, the bigger they grow. This is certainly not healthy to the own mind and can lead into consitions called: scizophrenic, paranoid, psychosis...

To me a healthy mind and way of dealing with forces beyond is to acknowledge that they are there and to deal with them in a nonchalance way, meaning not to take it TOO serious...

ubbangel

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
I used to hang out with the center of pestilence. Way too much AC smile

does that count?

93 93/93

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
I believe in it... partly because I used to work in a haunted pub and I heard so many stories and kept noticing things and stuff like that

I also believe Ive seen my guardian angel... I woke up one night to see a guy stood by my bedroom door with blonde hair and dressed in a black leather coat... I felt so comfortable with him being there it was like Ive known him all my life so I just said Hi then rolled over... a second later I thought to myself "thats not right" but when I looked again he was gone

and Im blaming ghosts for the fact that I lost a balloon last night and Ive no idea how... it vanished out of a room with windows and doors closed and I havent found any bits of it like it had burst... spooky

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Chellybean, Dracula was based on Vlad the Impaler (well, stories of him) and also on the Countess of Bath. However, there are psychological disorders which qualify as these.

FireTom: That quote about God is actually famous and quite old. Your theory on Angels and Demons having to both exsist if one does is interesting, however is also plays upon the belief in angel and demon supporting faith. For me, personally, Angels are more of a Christian idea, and since I do not subscribe to the Christian God, then I do not believe in Angels. If, as you say they can not exsist alone, then I also do not believe in Demons. This one seems highly tied up in faith rather than theory for me.

Pele

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Regarding angels and demons...

I think that there are spiritual presences about that are enduring. I think that in a lot of cultures and religions, they are given minor deity status, such as "Angel" "Demon", "Djinn" etc.

Christian dogma has categorised these entities into "good" and "evil" in much the same way as it codifies all human behaviour. But I believe that good and evil aren't the best adjectives for them - some look after people, some don't, some don't care, some like causing havoc, some attatch themselves to a person/place and protect them. If I have a guardian spirit which looks after me, but (for example) hurts you, I don't see that it is either good or evil.. Just a presence.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
My friend and I discovered that we could take very odd photo's with her digicam. When taking normal photo's, we'd notice orbs and mist like patches etc. So we headed out at night to see if we could catch anything...and we did. We took numurous photo's of orbs(which could be argued as specks of dust or moisture...which is fair enuf)but we also took many photo's of mistlike phonomena...way beyond anything that we could have faked. We even blew smoke infront of the camera, went out when it was foggy and tried all sorts of things to see if it was just a trick of light, atmosphere etc...it wasn't!!
The strange thing is, these photo's, as soon as they are taken you can see them on the cam screen, so we knew when things were there...yet with the naked eye, we couldn't see a thing.
One picture inparticular has encouraged me so much!! Yes, you can see faces in almost anything, and you can find things that may not even be there when you are looking at photo's...but the phonomena in this photo stands out more than any other. The background mist is a different colour to the foreground, it's dirty in colour, bleak...non attractive. The foreground mist is made up of white, blue and a slight pink...mainly white tho. Part of the mist in the background looks like a skull...it has that shape...it looks evil. In the foreground (90% of ppl who have see this have agreed), you can see the profile of what looks like an Angel. The hair, face, shoulders, wings...even armour. It's holding a flower!! Its facing side on and looks to be crouching down, but only the waist up is visible.
The night we took this photo, we'd gone to the local graveyard to take our photo's. Before going in I'd asked my friend to pray for us, and she'd asked the Angels to protect us (She's into angelic healing!)Giggling...we entered the yard! We'd left there having managed to freak ourselves out totally...me especially. On our way home we stopped at some local woods and got out to take some more. My friend was the one who didn't really get that freaked, whereas I was totally scared shitless...silly really. Anyway, she freaked, she said she could feel something that wasn't very nice...and for the first time ever, I felt peace...and I told her not to worry cos it couldn't hurt us. It was that same moment we took that picture. When we got them up on the pc later...we couldn't believe our eyes. It was so beautiful, but it took a while to work out what was going on in the photo. Most ppl don't see it at first, but then it just jumps out at them, and the more they look...the clearer it becomes. That's what happened to us...and we both cried!! A few ppl on this site have seen it...those close to me, but it's way too sentimental for me to share it with the entire web...
I'm not going to put the picture online, I'm not trying to prove anything, I don't need to. If you're meant to see Angels, you will...and that was ours! I know that that picture is real, and it will always be very special to me. We were being protected, and God let me have a glimpse of that world...and I know its there. I just wanted to share my experience with you.

Are you a robot...or an alien?

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Ok HoPpers i myself am a man of both science and faith and i reconcile this fact with with my oppinion that science is what we currently know and can prove but that by no means includes life the universe and everything. Any scientist that states that something is impossible should realise that science is incomplete, it is a work in progress and it can be wrong even Einstien was wrong, he said that it was impossible to spit the atom and boy was he wrong about that one. Many scientist dismiss the paranormal because it is something that they cannot quantify and measure but this doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I myself am a pagan but rather than saying that the christian God is a faulse god i would prefer to say that he is an amalgmated view of all Goddess' and Gods hence i also belive in magik and a life after death at first as a spirit and when you time comes at peace in heaven or hell (it's fun but decadent more like Vegas than a torture chamber) or rebirth.

As for the rest of the paranormal it's just stuff that has managed to remain unquantifiable

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

theCaitiffnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

What I am looking for is do you believe?

If so, what do you believe in?

Do your beliefs stop at ghosts or do you think demons, werewolves, vampires are real?

What about possession?

What about those things that people can supposedly do? Magic (real, not David Copperfield)? Telepathy? Clair/Audiovoyance?

Yes to everything but the UFO/Alien bits. See the thing is, I happen to be religious which by default carries at least some belief in the supernatural. But if you're going to believe some of it, why not all of it?

My personal beliefs aside I can't believe the way most people have completely denounced the supernatural. Ask them if they have a religion and (in America) more than three quarters will claim to be christian. Ask them if they believe in ghosts, magic, demons, or miracles and ninety percent will say no. But why would they have rules against witchcraft if magic didn't exist? How can they be "touched by the Holy Spirit" if ghosts don't exist? Why was Hell created if there are no Demons or evil Angels? If miracles don't happen, is their Bible full of lies?

Oh maybe those things used to happen but not anymore? Is that the best they can do? What a load.

Why do I believe in the paranormal? Because every culture throughout history has. If you ignore the names attached, or the stories that accompany them, you'll notice that humans are pretty consistent with their descriptions of the supernatural. Why does every culture, every tribe, every people have a legend about dragons? Why does everyone have a ghost story? Why are there so many miracles in history? Why do people have intuition or gut instincts?

Science and logic beg us to assume that everything can be explained rationally. But when you get right down to it, there are so many instances from such disparate people that we can only use Occam's Razor to reach a conclusion.

One person is fairly often wrong. Two people might be mistaken. Ten people might have something worth checking out. A hundred people are good enough for a lynch mob. A thousand people are usually right. A million people are almost always right. But when there are billions of people all telling you the same story... At some point, even if it isn't logical, you need to accept it.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
"Do your beliefs stop at ghosts or do you think demons, werewolves, vampires are real?"

Ghosts, angels and deamons-yes, or at least some variation thereof, morelike positive and negative energies. Vampires and werewolves, not so much, at least not in the way they are portrayed today. I've read up on vampires quite a lot and do not doubt that there were people with bloodthirsts but find it quite hard to believe that they were supernatural rather than just a bit mental.

"What about possession?"

Yes

"UFO's and alien abductions?"

Umm, alot along the lines of what Bill Hicks said, if aliens come to this planet, and they have super intelligence (or at least intelligence greater than our own)why do they only ubduct random people from random little towns in the middle of nowhere?I don't buy it. I do think to believe that we are the only living/thinking creatures in the entire universe is probably a bit silly though.

"What about those things that people can supposedly do? Magic (real, not David Copperfield)? Telepathy? Clair/Audiovoyance?"

I believe in sensitivity. Lee and I finish each others sentances, do the same things at the same time, or just know when the other one needs you, but thats from being close,from understanding and caring about each other and picking up on subconcious triggers and signals. I don't have that with anyone else, because I'm not as close with anyone else. I belive that soem people have the ability to manipulate energy in certain ways. For example, my dad cannot wear a digital watch, it just stops in a about a day and then doesn't work again. We thought it might have something to do with teh metal plate in his arm...until teh same thing started happening to me, and I don't have any metal plates in my body. It's not where we have lived because my mother could wear them fine and they wouldn't stop. We've never really checked it out, but it's probably got something to do with magnatism.It's not something we can control, it just happens, so I think that it's possible that others have more influence with things like magnetic fiels and thus can manipulate things. I don't now, I'm not a science buff, but I just do't believe in hocus pocus magic, more like being in tune to things.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
i believe.......i have had a few experiences, if u want to know then just ask me, i believe in spirits, guardians, not sure on warewolves. i believe that some people think that they are vampires, but im not sure i actually believe in the whole idea of it. i think that if there are 'good' spirits then there has to be 'bad' ones too, and im not talking about whiskey and southern comfort. i have the same thing as blu valley, i know when someone is going to call etc. but im practicing psychomatry and automatic writing (letting spirits write through the aid or yourself). like i said, if u want to know what i have experienced then just ask, but yes i believe

Kyle03SILVER Member
The super duper uber looper
119 posts

Posted:
i believe in all of it. no i havnt watched 2 many movies. if the human mind can think it, its possible. im fully open to anything 2 do with the paranormal. i actualy knw a medium and its really interesting being with him. hope iv bn a tiny bit of help in ur research

Don't make someone your priority if they only make you an option.

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
I think there could well be a great many things, but it's in our very nature to attribute it to something that we can imagine, which in a sense fails to acknowledge a whole possible "world" of the supernatural, as our imaginations are limited to what we have experienced.

In that sense, "imagination" is a strange contradiction of itself. everything "supernatural" encountered is based on something natural, just distorted or altered a little. i think the truly supernatural things, if they are out there existing or otherwise, are beyond our comprehension or even perception. 5-sense perception anyway...

they mostly come at night, mostly.

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
 Written by: musashii

Thoughts/intention are energy, why shouldn't someone sensitive enough be able to pick up on them.

like the effects of qi that make up the principles of feng shui, what about sensing the qi itself?

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:

Nope.

What about possession?

Nope.

Nope.

etc..etc...etc...

Nope.

To which I'd like to chuck in miracles, crystals, energies, homeopathy, gods, crop circles, perpetual motion, the "Power of the Mind", The Secret, What The Bleep Do We Know, magnet therapy, reincarnation, acupuncture, chiropractic, astrology, creationism, EVP, ESP, Bigfoot and pretty much anything with the word "quantum" in it which isn't being said by a physicist, preferably one with a beard.

As you can see, I'm over in the Sceptic camp. I believe that anything can be proposed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence and that if a claim can be made, then it can be tested.

I believe that it is likely that somewhere in the enormity of the Universe more intelligent life exists, but I don't believe that the made it all the way only to crash into New Mexico or to anal probe hill-billies.

Of course, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, it's just a matter of evidence ubbrollsmile

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Domino

but I don't believe that the made it all the way only to crash into New Mexico or to anal probe hill-billies.

lol. it's what i'd do :P

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I do "believe" Pele - but it might be very different from what you perceive and label with conditioned labels, such as "ghosts, vampires, werewolves" or "aliens".

So far I had the chance to experience far too much than being able to claim that telepathy and psychokinesis, astral projection, faith healing and other stuff does NOT exist. I am not talking about second hand, sci-fi books or movies, I am talking about first hand real life experience.

I do not have to prove any of this to anyone, because I do not wish to convince anyone of anything that is (entirely) against her/ his belief system. I used to be a missionary, but far too much energy got wasted to convince ppl who will sooner or later figure for themselves. Or may never have to figure.

After all we are all on different planes (ways) heading for the same destination. Sometimes it's nice to meet a familiar spirit, sometimes a sceptic is needed to challenge my belief - the bottom line is that nobody can experience the same in the same way, or they would have to be me.

But at the end of the day one thing is apparent: If any of this "out there" is aimed to make me scared of anything or anyone on a "supernatural" level, to make me feel paranoid - if anyone out there is utilizing her/ his belief system to make me scared, then it's not mine to take.

Respect is one thing, fear and generalized judgement is something completely different.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and responses.

I like your perspective on not proving it to anyone Tom. My sis is very "shove it down your throat" with stuff and I don't appreciate it at all, and therefore I am more resistant to even hearing her out anymore (years of conditioning to it).

Lots to think about.

Pele

Page: