Forums > Other Toys > Curiousity to do with Fire painting

Login/Join to Participate

KeeLanewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Hello all. I bartend at a Moroccan restaurant and we have live performers come in and we had a Russian girl perform one night with fire and i found it very captivating and wanted to find out more ever since. She didn't do fire breathing, or twirling but she did eat fire, "fire paint" i guess as it's called and so forth. My curiousity is mainly with 2 things. I saw her start off the performance sparking fire from a lighter into her hands starting off as one flame then splitting off into 2 (one in each hand) It appeared she had some sort of paper or something in her hand and i was wondering what that was and how she was able to withstand the heat for that long of time. As well she ran a small torch looking baton with fire at the end up her stomach, and across her arms. I read that there's no secret wax or anything applied beforehand and that it's basically all on the pressure of the baton, etc....i was wondering if someone could enlighten me on these 2 questions i have because i am very interested in learning now as much as i can about those techniques. Thanks again =o)

Keela smile southbeachmami@yahoo.com

..:*:..:*:..KeeLa..:*:..:*:..

-Focus on your potential instead of your limitations

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
Sound interesting, but I cant help... Sorry.

I would be interested in finding out though... smile

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
The term you're looking for, I think, is 'tracing'. You should get lots of results for that if you do a search for that smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Or trailing smile

Meh

KeeLanewbie
7 posts

Posted:
thank ya. But does anyone know what it is called that you have in your hands to ignite fire?

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
fire palms.. err..

well, they're these little torches that fit inbetween your fingers. palm torches maybe? i've seen em on here, but forgot exactly what they were called

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
fire fingers i think!?

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I think I can help on the tracing of fire along the body. I think the technique is fairly basic. I BELIEVE (key word is BELIEVE) that it has to do with the flame not being on the skin long enough to burn it. It takes YEARS of dedication to the art to toughen up the skin. But it works on the same principle as boiling water in a paper cup. If you've never done it, it's a head trip.

You might look up keywords like "Circus Sideshow Fire" or even look up "geeks", but you'll get the wrong kind of geek if you do that alone. I did find a performer, Lucifire that does this trick in her act. Warning, the site is not for kiddies, but it gives you an idea. It's not as much a trick as much as it is dicipline. No different than learnign to swallow swords. probably about as pleasant too, come to think.

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
No it's not fire fingers they sit on the ends of your fingers not in your palm.

I have seen them before too and don't know what they are called...bugger.

But the tracing is easy....as long as you make sure the fuel you use to light up the wick is not burning too hot and make sure that any metal is not going to have contact with your skin...also as already stated make sure that the fire doesn't stay for too long in one spot.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: KeeLa

It appeared she had some sort of paper or something in her hand and i was wondering what that was.

That was probably "flash paper".

Magicians use it. It burns very fast at a low temperature.

search for it, and you will find smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I 'believe', what your refereing to is 'fakir', If you want further details, send me a pm and i"ll give you some pointers on wicks and fuels, techniques etc, although as Socks has already mentioned "It takes a while and a lot of dedication to the art to toughen up the skin", anyways,

mark

hazardfactornewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Yeah, well,

naptha, also known as lighter fluid, sold under the name ron-son at local supermarkets, is a very cold burning fuel. Its usually what people "eat" fire with.

So cold burning means that since heat is most intense vertically over a source versus radiant positions, around that source, you could hold a puddle of the stuff in your hand, burning, for a short period.
Think of standing over as opposed to next to a fire, most of the heat is rising. This implies that you can play with the stuff pretty thoroughly. os long as you are not over the mantle.

Dragging a kevlar wick with lit naptha on it over your body is not uncomfortable.

For your own safety I reccomend that you verify the information I am giving you through a second source.

Myself, I prefer to play with propane and I use tools I make for that purpose.

Boom boom baby!

DominicBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
I dont think they used flash paper anywhere in the act. Although i do love it. I think she used a magicians prop known as Fickle fire. It is a small peice of wick in a little metal container that is painted flesh colored and gets clipped into ur finger so u cant see it. it has a flint wheel on it so u can light it and with a snap of your wrist the flame can be put out because the ocnatainer has a little door which closes and shuts out the oxygen. Really neat prop but kind of expensive. Here is a link to a place you can find it, it is sold at many magic retailers so if your gonna get it look around for a good price. https://www.daytonamagic.com/Fire%20Magic/F07.htm

dominic

KeeLanewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the advice peoples. I finally figured out what it all was and am actually learning a routine with the same girl i mentioned above. The palm gimmick i am using is Omega fire and is very similiar to the Fickle fire and cost a pretty penny, lol. I am basically gonna take things step by step and gradually move up. I have already mastered the palm gimmicks and am doing the fire "painting" which is aok, but am really curious now on holding the torch with my teeth before extinguishing it. That's not something i am going to attempt yet but am building up to. Any advice on this? And also, i'll post some pics of my performance thus far asap.
Happy holidays everyone =o)

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Hi,

"but am really curious now on holding the torch with my teeth before extinguishing it"

Your refering to what generally called teething, although it probably goes under a number of differing names, it's something i've put into my fire eating set, done incorectly, it is very hard on the teeth, surrounding gums and lips, I would really recomend getting 'comfortable' with two of even three torch fire eating before exploring teething, just a thought,

Send me a pm if you need details

mark

KeeLanewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks Marco =o) I am mastering it already as we speak. I put up one pic with a lil tease of fire in my photo album so check em out if you guys want. Take care all and happy new years

https://photos.yahoo.com/southbeachmami

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
holding it in your teeth is easy, just wait a while for the huge flame to go, so all the exess fuel has burnt, then just put it in your teeth, downwind from your nose, bite, let go. aint nothin to it. take it out before u get burnt if u can, but its all trial and error.
enjoy, it keeps me busy heaps
byebye, pete

--------------------
foomp

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Eh, but its not as impressive when the flame isnt huge smile

Also, you should put vapor holds and transfers on your list of things to learn. Thats where you take a burning torch in your mouth and suck off some vapors, then when you remove the torch youre still holing a flame in your mouth. You can then light a second (unlit) torch from the vapor flame in your mouth. One of my fav fire eating tricks.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
the fire painting technique you describe is known mos often as transfers, but in portland, oregon, we call it "fleshing." i have done it, and as long as you are light enough on your torch pressure, and remember not to panic, it's all easy. i have even done a fetish act with a girl who took no more than an hour of training, before we recorded the rehearsal. the video is not posted here, but if you're interested, let me know. it also involves a fire flogger. please use private message to do so.
as to the hand device with a wick in the palm, i call them palm-torches, handglobes, and hand-poi, whichever suits me at the time. they are particularly cool for rave-style dances, and egyptian candle-dancing moves. they accentuate bellydancing moves, used properly.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel