Forums > Social Discussion > I don't know if anyone's mentioned... Berlin Wall

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's been 15 years since it came down this week. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it... if you were in Germany or any eastern block place at the time, where you were when you heard, what you remember about it...?

I was 6 at the time and I remember my mum sitting me in front of the TV and trying to get me to watch, although I didn't understand what was going on and I fell asleep. I'm glad she tried, though.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
15 years eh?? i was in primary school...but it feels too much like monday morning to be doing maths (and yes, i am perfectly aware that it's actually thursday afternoon!! ubblol ), so i won't tell you how old i was! tongue

i remember watching it on tv...and someone from my school was there - and they brought back a chunk of the wall! it's still on a plaque in the school library (i'm assuming they brought back two chunks! one for them, and one for the school!) biggrin i don't think i really understood what was going on either. i got the impression it was something big & real important & pretty good, but other than that...i was in primary school! that was a long time ago (about 15 years i reckon! rolleyes ) i'm just amazed i remember! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's weird, isn't it? I remember lots of pictures of people hugging and crying and asking why they were so sad, and that was when I learned people cried with happiness. Which is nice.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have a piece of it.

No, I really have a real honest-to-god piece brought to me by a German friend who was there the night it happened.

A lot of people claim to have pieces because people were selling broken up chunks of concrete and selling them as pieces of the Wall, but I think mine's real.

Funny how silly and insignificant the fall of Communism seems now in the face of everything that's going on. At least the Communists were organized and predictable...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i was three. i remember nothing. which isnt that unusual, methinks

you people are all so OLD ubblol

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I have a serious issue with the continued selling or personal chipping off of your own bits of the wall. Peices from the time period when it originally came down from parts that actually were torn down excepted, as I think these are legitimate historical artifacts in their own right, the continued chipping away of the parts of the wall left as a historical reminder are tantimount to vandalism of a more important historical artifact. there were beautiful works of graffiti (on the western side of the wall only mind you - you got shot getting within a hundred yards of it on the russian side, so that side was clean), many of which were political statements. Now all that remains of them is a pockmarked peice of verticle concrete. Some artists went back and tried to replace their art or the replicate the previous art, and guess what, that all got chipped off and sold to.

There is a vending machine (like a gumball machine) in the most touristy train station here in town that actually sells supposed peices of the wall - stick in a euro coin, twist the handle, and out comes a gumball sized chunk.

it pisses me off.

wait till you hear Babajaga's stories about the wall coming down, if she has the energy to post them here. she grew up in east berlin and was a teenager when it happened.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Actually, the east side gallery is pretty cool. A bunch of artists painted graffiti all over it (tastefully, not just nonsense words). They had assumed it was going to get taken down like the rest of the wall. It didn't. Since it's on the east side though, the typical crappy graffiti artist came and plasted nonsense words over a good chunk of it (it's actually a several meters worth left). A couple of years ago, they got the original artists to come and repaint what they had originally put on there. Sadly, it has again started to get the crappy graffiti plastered all over it again. From what I saw while I was there, the old east side has a tendancy to have that happen, which annoyed me. If I went to a park on the east side, and saw anything resembling art (such as a sculpture or something) it would be covered in crappy graffiti. I thus liked the parks on the west side much better.

There is actually quite a sizable chunk on the Rice University campus in Houston. I passed by it for about a year on a regular basis and had no idea what it was other than this ugly chunk of concrete outside the poli sci building. It wasn't until one day when I decided to read the plaque in the ground by it that I realized what it was. I think it's place outside the public policy building (the Baker building) was a fitting tribute for it. That building is where a lot of foreign dignitaries come to speak, so I think it was a fitting reminder of what all could happen.

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
hmmm... A bit energy is left for that. wink. I have no piece of the wall but I have my memories. Maybe it was a ´bit different for me since I was allowed to see to some extend the western part because I was in the GDR national swimming team.

That made me have mixed emotions I saw how it is in the west but I also had the brain washing thing at east german school, next thing my parents were in prison cos of being against east german government(before I was born) so all a bit confused.

I wasnt allowed to say things I heard at home especially cos of the swimming thing (they wanted to have all faithful representatives) and at home I was in trouble then I told the things I learned at school.hmmmm......

So then the wall fell it was a mixture of fear, enjoyment, gratification, doubts....

I saw all the people, my parents happyness in their eyes and all I could do was wondering what is going on. It took a while to realize things and changings it was a jumping to another life for most of us.

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I was 5, I remember seeing clips and thinking it was some sort of civil war. Untill at a latter time when I was 5 I saw an inspector gadget cartoon which was writen/animated before the fall and had a little bit of understanding of the whole thing.

Also, although the communists were predictable and reliable, they probably killed more people in their reign then has been killed in the whole middle east since the end of ww2. As much as I like the leonard cohen lyrics "give me Stalin and St Paul
I've seen the future, brother:
it is murder."

I also like "alls well that ends well" which I suspect is like an evil sort of phrase developed by some guy I probably wouldn't like who said it to justify something bad in 700 AD or something (only guessing here)

In general I think the longing for stability poses more doom to the human race then hatred or envy greed etc etc etc..

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
yeah...thanx for that mig...i do love to be reminded how old i am! mad

ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
any time wink

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
There's a song that I'm working on translating to english (for learning grammar and vocabulary's sake...) that I think reflects well on Germany, and where it stands... I should be finished it today, and I'll post it when I'm finished.

'Wir Sind Wir' by Paul Van Dyk feat. Peter Heppner... Good song, I like it a lot.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Aha! I'm done. It's really about the wars, but I think it fits well to this as well. And if there are mistakes, either a)forgive me! I'm still learning, or b) I changed the wording so that it makes more sence/ is better english. I tried not to ruin the song, but give it meaning to those who speak english.

Wir Sind Wir :: Paul Van Dyk

(Feat. Peter Heppner)

Tag um Tag, Jahr um Jahr,
Day by day, year by year
Wenn ich durch diese Straßen geh',
When I go through these streets
Seh ich wie die Ruinen dieser Stadt
How I see this town in ruins
Wieder zu Häusern auferstehen.
The house to rise again

Doch bleiben viele Fenster leer,
Yet many empty windows remain
Für viele gab es keine Wiederkehr.
For many have not returned
Und über das, was grad noch war,
And about that, what was yesterday
Spricht man heute lieber gar nicht mehr.
We don’t like to speak about it today

Doch ich frag, ich frag mich wer wir sind.
Yet I ask, I ask myself who we are

Wir sind wir! Wir stehen hier!
We are we! We’re standing here!
Aufgeteilt, besiegt und doch,
Divided, defeated and yet
Schließlich leben wir ja noch.
In the end we are living

Das kanns noch nicht gewesen sein.
That can not be all of it
Keine Zeit zum Traurigsein.
No time to be sad
Wir sind wir! Wir stehn' hier!
Wir sind wir!
We are we!

Auferstanden aus Ruinen dachten wir,
Risen from ruins, we thought
Wir hätten einen Traum vollbracht.
We would’ve accomplished a dream
40 Jahre zogen wir an einem Strang.
We pulled on a rope for 40 years
Aus Asche haben wir Gold gemacht.
From ashes we must make gold

Jetzt ist mal wieder alles anders
Now everything is different again
Und was vorher war, ist heute nichts mehr wert.
And what was before, is of no more value today
Jetzt können wir haben was wir wollen,
Now we can have what we want
Aber wollten wir nicht eigentlich viel mehr?
But didn’t we actually want more?

Und ich frag, ich frag mich wo wir stehen.
And I ask, I ask myself where we stand

Wieder Eins in einem Land,
Again one in our land
Superreich und abgebrannt.
The super rich and the broke

So schnell kriegt man uns nicht klein,
We don’t give up that fast
Keine Zeit zum bitter sein.
There’s no time to be bitter
Wir sind wir! Wir stehn' hier!
Wir sind wir!
We are we!

Wir sind Wir!
We are we!
Aufgeteilt, besiegt und doch,
Divided, defeated and yet
Schließlich gibt es uns ja immer noch.
In the end we are living

Wir sind wir!
We are we!
Und wir werden's überstehen,
And we will survive it
Denn das Leben muss ja weitergehen.
For life must continue

Wir sind wir!
We are we!
Das ist doch nur ein schlechter Lauf.
Yet that is only a bad run
So schnell geben wir doch jetzt nicht auf.
We will not give in so fast

Well, there it is. I hope it means something to you, it does to me. Eventhough I'm not German, it still does. And if anyone can do a better job at the translation, go for it, and tell me what I did wrong! Constructive criticism, neh? smile

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't remember it at all, (funnily enough, being 3 years old). But when I see images of it on TV, I get a tingle down my spine.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah Rougie - but you can come see the history here in Berlin yourself next year!

yeay! ubbrollsmile

-v-

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
I remember it - i was 12.

I went to Berlin this summer. It was amazing to see the wall, although i never saw the east side gallery. It was so incredible. Just to think...

I don't agree with the selling of bits of the wall either. I'm also not keen on the "look at me, infront of the wall" photos, but that's just me smile

Lynne

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
There are some very nice photos in Postdamer platz right now of the wall comming down...
My better half grew up in East Germany, and her family has some strong stories of life under the old regieme. Also, going back a bit further, one of her grandpas was involved in a failed attempt on Hittler´s life...

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
hey! where are you? in Berlin? have we met? what gives?

-v-

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
ubblol @ Vanize

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier