AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
i have just built myself some nice new staff from al pole, but it just occured to me that fire can get quite warm and that a handle would not do me any harm.now what can i use? i thought of leather, ckicket grip, innertube, wearing gloves.but a freind suggested using some pipe insulation then wrap that with leather, what do you say?? cos i really want to play... soon.also what is the best way to make poi handles? i thought of kite handles?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sports tape for the staff...like tennis raquet or baseball bat tape. It's slightly padded and works great! No toasty fingers from that yet.Our poi handles are strips of leather I stich into loops. No sweat! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've posted some tips for making finger nooses (and other equipment) at https://www.crossroads.net/a/writing/firemaking.html

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
With a staff, even an aluminum one, the centre doesn;t get hot at all. Even new the flams is handleable. My main desire for grips on staves is for look, and to mark the center. And I use electricians tape (comes in many lovely colours).------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Gotta agree with the D-boy.The staff doesnt get hot except for right at the end. Think about it...the tip isnt burning all the way through...just on the surface where the O2 is smile Theres stacks of insulation before it even gets to the Aluminium...mark the balance point, whack on some grip tape if you think you might need it, and get spinning!Josh

445 posts

Posted:
thanks 4 that i will try with no grip but i will probally do a leather wrap that my freind offered, and with the poi handles i am currently using telephone cable passed through a chain link so i hope to upgrade that soon. :-)

Enjoy - A

445 posts

Posted:
thanks 4 that i will try with no grip but i will probally do a leather wrap that my freind offered, and with the poi handles i am currently using telephone cable passed through a chain link so i hope to upgrade that soon. :-)

Enjoy - A

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
wow, ajtag! that's the most creative material i've ever heard of everyone using for poi handles!!!tee hee!!!

445 posts

Posted:
thanks they dont work too bad either but i doo need to change soon as the tied ends are really annoying

Enjoy - A