Stumpymember
10 posts

Posted:
This is my first new topic so i hope someone reads it but i am slightly concerned about members of the public gasping in awe about being able to juggle. I believe that any person who wanted to learn a circus skill could learn it.Maybe this is anger on my part because of teaching far too many workshops. I'm just wondering but does anybody else suffer frustration when passing on your skills?

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Juggling is HARD! much tougher than poi swinging, in my opinion!give yourself credit for being able to defy gravity, Stumpy!two members of our troupe have been juggling fiends for about a year now, and are just getting going on some solid torch juggling and passing routines - whereas they both picked up poi within a month. so I'd say the skill level needed to master the technique is higher for juggling than for poi. either that or one just needs way more free time to teach themselves how to juggle! ha!almost all of our 'circus skills' are self taught (this would be juggling and stiltwalking) - except aerial work. that's something worth having a good teacher for... broken neck anyone? no thank you.wheeeee!!!!!~*Charly*~------------------www.cabiri.org

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
YES and NO.Teaching someone is a great and very satisfying thing to do I know cause I have done it but if there are more of us then that makes us less special and unique in a way. I am quite happy to teach but it does get infuriating if suddenly everybody does something. We are all selfish a little bit when it comes to this I think.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
I think poi/chain spinning could esily become for the millenium what break dancing was for the early 80's; something cool and underground that media got ahold of and became mainstream and "popular". Happily, the public loses interest after a while, and it goes back to being underground again. If everybody does is, take heart in that most people won't do it half as well as us. And when poi resurface again in the 2020's, we're gonna rock old skool!------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Here Here man.Peca eout garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeehah, Dangerboy! I'll see you in Times Square. (I don't know what that means :confused smileBut, Stumpy, seriously, don't take your skills for granted. I'm sure you've been juggling for a while and it's old hat to you. People that are new to it are going to have that respect and enthusiasm for what you do. Their seeing it through new eyes. I've had my frustrations with teaching. There are folx I've declined to teach because I felt their energy about was almost *too* enthusaistic, if that's possible. I really look for someone who's sober and serious about what they're taking on (particular because I teach spinning with a focus on fire), not just enthusing because they wanna learn something "cool". Maybe you'd feel better about it if you didn't teach so much and/or were choosier about who you train. Just an idea. Diana

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
I DONT REKON THAT ALL CIRCUS SKILLS COME WITH PRACTICE. POI SEEMED TO COME FAIRLY EASILY WHEN I WAS LEARNING AND I WAS PICKING UP NEW TRICKS REGULARLY WITHOUT HURTING MYSELF TOO OFTEN DURING PRACTICE, BUT I CANT JUGGLE TO SAVE MY LIFE. BUT FOR SOME PEOPLE I KNOW ITS THE EXACT OPPOSITE. NO MATTER HOW MUCH PRACTICE THEY PUT IN THEY COULDNT POI. BUT WITHIN A DAY OF JUGGLIN THEY WERE SKILLED WITH 4 BALLS. SO I REKON THAT UNLESS THE SKILLS ARE VAGUILEY RELATED (SUCH AS SOME POI/STAFF MOVES), ITS REALLY EASY TO GET FRUSTRATED WHEN TEACHING LEARNERS, BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT ITS NOT ALWAYS THE FAULT OF THE TEACHER, AND THAT SOME PEOPLE WERE NOT MEANT TO POI OR DO CIRCUS SKILLS.C'n'U