Page: ...
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
negative space is a juggling concept which coleman will kindly explain for me.

and this morning i realised i've been plaing with it loads and loads and loads with poi over the last year or so.

dom's been dipping his toes in the water too......

proper discussion when cole does his part of this job.

smiles

R

EDITED_BY: bluecat (1100181048)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I found the framing idea to be palatable however the whole idea of applying the idea of negative space I thought a very difficult concept to get my head around and just sort of tossed it aside hoping that this thread would become less artsy and tedious and more enlightening.

It has become more enlightening in the past group of posts. I can't say I use the framing technique, but hey, now at least I know what this thread is all about.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: bluecati'm with ya on it being more framing than negative space, but i'm just used to the term cause its what jugglers use, and thats where i nicked most of the ideas smile

but i have to disagree on it not being dancy. i actually usually find that when looping up i have more ability to dance, simply because i'm no longer having to spin a poi crazy the spinach sessions is a bad example cause i was in a tiny space trying to show some ideas....

the bow tying is fun. it'll be on the big list of tutorial videos to make in bristol laugh3

grin nice to see people interestid in this. if you ever get a chance, check out yoshiki from paris. he is pretty damn fine at n.s spinning....

How about a shorter list of tutorials from the mighty Rob? I dont think I've ever seen your teaching style online and Im sure people would flock to those kinds of vids in droves.

I admit, Im just learning to push my understanding of Negative space. Hopefully I will find myself dancing more once I get consistent and comfortable with that move. I got the idea today to have my entire arm follow the poi through the loop all the way to my shoulder and then release the loop and move straight into a 2bt hybrid. Just depends on if I can get my movements smooth enough.

Is yoshiki here or in the Burn Crew Concepts homepage?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The Spinach Sessions are awesome.

Are there any vids of Yoshiki?

*goes off to look*

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I found some info on Yoshiki through the uber events webpage:
https://www.uberevents.org/?q=node/39

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
oh-kay....

being slightly obsessive as I am, Im still working on negative space here and there. I found some inspiration in some juggling videos and my new swing clubs. So...in the interest of documenting examples that can be played with, I had a simple move dawn on me.

If you are comfortable with threading the needle, then do that. Keep your hands as close together as possible. Got it? Ok then, look down at your feet (keep spinning the TTN, goofball). Did you notice the negative space framed by your arms?

Why is it that we always keep the TTN external? I know Im not the first person to invert this, but hey!, play with it. Both poi in, if you can. Or one poi in, one poi out. Other poi in, then you shake it all about.

should I stop? (this is what happens with evening time expresso)

anywho, I find it less straining in reverse, but more fun forwards.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Erm, has anyone been able to download this Yoshiki video that Squid pointed us to??

Squid: Have you delved deeply into Rev's Spherculist Manifesto and/or watched his videos? It goes hand in hand with negative-space/framing. Find all of your basic entries for inswings. Get comfortable with how they exit to a n outside plan and how they exit to an inside plane.

Play with TTN same time and split-time. There are a bunch of different variations on butterfly, including 1st degree (barrelroll) inversions, introversions, and TTN done inside planes (you'll likely look a bit like an ape when you do it)

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
HI there, Jon. I haven't ever gotten all the way through it. Between Rev's Manifesto and Arashi's insides, introversions, and extroversions....well, it gets overwhelming sometimes. Rev's videos have been easier to digest, but its just so incomplete without having finished the Manifesto itself.

But thanks for bringing that up. It is something I need to review now that Im focusing on these specific theories. smile

oh, and I cant download the Yoshiki video either. I just thought it was a problem with my outdated iBook. There are a lot of things my computer can't download or process these days. I will go back on the search and see if I can locate anything else.
EDITED_BY: squid (1222543974)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I wasn't able to download it, Jon.

I havent been able to neg space it up much at all, inversions always screwed with my head. But I got the inverted weave and butterfly barrel rolls.

hug

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Books, Chair & Shadow - Christopher Stott

Quote:I had fun painting the books a week or so ago, I did it again. This time I used the crisp shadow, it always makes for such interesting lines and negative space. I'm happy with the way this turned out, the painting has nice contrast and shapes.
lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Son

I liked the inverted stall...

Inverted stall, eh? Thanks for that one, past self, i'll give it a whirl... again.

hug

Page: ...