TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
This is spawned from something that ucof and I were playing with in Sheffield the other weekend, and had a bit of tweaking from Simian at Spitz last week.

I'm not great with text descriptions, so I've drawn a few stickmen wielding poi , hopefully that'll help.
Anyway...

Step 1.
Stall the right poi so it lands across your head

Non-Https Image Link

Step 2.
Throw the left poi under your right arm so it flies up next to your arm, rather than away from you.

Non-Https Image Link

Step 3.
Catch the head of the thrown poi with your right hand.
At the same time, grab the handle of the poi on your head with your left hand

Non-Https Image Link

Step 4.
Pull the poi that's on your head up and over so it swings off your head and out into a large circle.
As soon as it's cleared your head, bring your right hand up and drape the poi across your the top of your head.

Non-Https Image Link

Step 5.
Repeat steps 2 through 4 for a while

Step 6.
Realise just how stupid this move is smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
i think it looks pretty cool when the stick figures do it. but i bet it would look cooler when someone does it with fire.

If I could be granted one wish I would ask for all the questions of the universe.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

Love it... and will be doing this one...

biggrin biggrin biggrin

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Hmm, I think it says alot about me that this move is my only contribution to the whole poi moves section smile

I'm working on changing directions and turning now - fairly easy to run through in my head how it should work, but making my arms do what they're supposed to is another matter.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
this move kicks ass

one might also call it an alternating reverse-gilligan catch to stalled-headwrap handswap to throw

or possibly the bobby

smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
if every move in this forum had diagrams and descriptions as clear as that one, we wouldn't need a video section to learn all this stuff.

nice one bov.

i like it.

a lot biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i've been writing a book with this sort of diagrams in it.
not a book you understand, but a personal nerd book.
if cole is up for it we could do some fun uploading of manoovers in essex in a month.

nice one bovvvv

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh i remember you and UCOF trying this out in Sheff...

Nice move. And i agree with the fact that the diagrams make it nice and clear to understand.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
that's a double staff move isn't it? And with double staff, you can do it with fire.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
never seen it done with double staff.

and step 3 seems like it would still hurt if you did it with a stick with flames on the end...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOO!
It is not a double staff move at all.

tongue

This was inventeed entirely on our own, and is only the first move we have created and posted about,.

There are at least 2 more moves that are yet to be translated into writing and pictures.

One of these may be the
"Luke, I am your father"

another may be
"Look sir, Droids!"

umm

Probably not actually.

smile

(This move is hereby named the Bobby, in memory of Sir Bobby Robson wink)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Bobby Robson?
umm
Charlton boy, Charlton.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No.

Robson.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

never seen it done with double staff.

and step 3 seems like it would still hurt if you did it with a stick with flames on the end...

There is a chick here in berlin that does basically this move with double staff, though the head part is more of a roll and the staves are spinning the whole time. One transitions in the hands while the other rolls on her head. difference is she is catching the one from her head just as it rolls off and rolling the next on instead of picking it up and laying down as per the poi diagram above. Its a nice move, and she is working on doing it with 3 (this seems to be far more complex though and involves a throw she hasn't worked out so well yet). I figured it was basically like a club juggling move so people would know it...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It's a shame I don't know more moves that need explaining really, then I could really put my uber drawing skills to use. It takes a hell of a lot of talent to draw stickmen y'know smile tongue

Yeah, it's pretty similar to a club juggling thing, I was thinking about that last tuesday actually.
We came up with it (and alot of other stupidness) from just the head stall at the start, I might try and compile the list of variations that I've seen done, including Fluffy Napalm Fairy's BTB Face-stall and Weasel's Double-Bobby Boogie biggrin

Written by: vanize

*snip* There is a chick here in berlin that does basically this move with double staff, though the head part is more of a roll and the staves are spinning the whole time. One transitions in the hands while the other rolls on her head. *snip*

Actually, this is pretty much what I had before Simian suggested throwing the left poi up - I had the poi spinning through another small circle right in front of me as it switched hands before being put onto my head since your hands have to be moving incredably fast to switch poi once every beat.
The throw was the best thing we could come up with to give my hands more time to do their stuff

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Cool! I've seen Spinna do a similar thing, but she was wearing a hat and as this move is called 'comb-over' I think it's a male only move!

lunerniamember
110 posts

Posted:
i think i saw you doing that...if it was you...it looked very cool:)

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i reckon you could do this upside down... beard comb over?

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

that's a double staff move isn't it? And with double staff, you can do it with fire.

Surely it's more of a hat manipulation move? It's definitely got a hat manipulation vibe to it.

The diagrams are truely excellent, stickmen make me smile biggrin

"Take that, math!"

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
This reminds me of some things I've been able to do with clubs for a while but only recently figured out they can be done with poi with a bit of fiddling... smile

1) Swing parallel straight arm pendula, wall plane. When clubs are parallel to ground and pointing left. Put the head of the right club into the left hand on top of the left clubs handle (like rob does in spinnach 1), know hold the right poi's hand against your left shoulder(not between your arm and body but on the outside).

Swing the straight arm and 2 poi on top of each other across to point to right parallel to ground, still holding right poi handle against shoulder.

When you get to the opposite parallel to ground position on the right hand side take the left hand's poi in to the right hand and on the swing back down to the left let the poi (who's head's in your left hand but originally started in your right hand slip down through your fingers into normal position.

2) Exactly the same as above except when you've swung through to the pointing right position, your right poi rests on top of your left arm while your right hand reaches under the left arm to take it off spinning anti clockwise.

In order to give you time to reach your right arm under the left to take it off I usually keep my left arm pointing staright out left while doing flower type circle, giving one beat to get yoru arm roudn and grab on...I like to spin a straight arm circle with the left while I take the right poi off anti clock... ubblove

3) Parallel straight arm pendula swing from RHS right hand btb (still straight) to parallel to ground on LHS return other way passing right poi onto left fore arms (resting there) as arms pass back to RHS at RHS right hand takes left hand's poi and club on left forearm slides into left hand.

4) You can also place the poi similarly on the back of the neck. Try full parallel circle anti-clockwise placing right poi onto back on neck / left shoulder. As left arm swing from left to right collect in a similar fasion. (I can still only do this one with clubs... ubbloco )

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

For a video of this wonderful move.

smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
That move is so unbelieveably jedi.

I must try it with fire. ubblol

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I promise a darwin award to the first person to do it with spikey poi..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Does anyone supply 'brunnette' sock poi?

Jo. smile
EDITED_BY: Jo (1113059737)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
wicked move! ubblove

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

if every move in this forum had diagrams and descriptions as clear as that one, we wouldn't need a video section to learn all this stuff.

nice one bov.

i like it.

a lot biggrin

I am in total, utter agreement here- how have I never seen this before? [censored] Genius. You're a legend Bov biggrin

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
hehe, I'm glad this thread has been bumped! I love this move! you silly boys wink biggrin

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
really odd this got bumped. i was just practicing different contact + throws randomly last night. they're a little harder than this if you have to worry about which end is burny tho...

the only one i liked enough to keep is pretty ridiculously hard to explain, but i'll try. so you're butterflying forward with your body turned so the pattern is on your left. you keep the left hand in front and circle around from back to front on the left side with the right poi (BF-BTB-WW, forward) to what might otherwise be a split-time same (left) arm BF double bicep wrap (one from the front, one from behind). only instead of wrapping, you grab the right poi's handle in your left elbow, while releasing the left poi in front of you. left poi does a circle behind on left side and you pull it back in front (is this wibbling if you don't have full hold of the handle?) so that it releases from your elbow directly into your left hand at the same time the right hand catches the other poi (either regular or inverse catch depending if you want out of it in a weave or bfly). i think you'd have to see it to get full understanding of how i'm timing the releases, but i'm sure any other way to do it looks as good... and it can be done on fire.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Saw this, thought of you.

ubbrollsmile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
priceless: I like how the man's face goes from sad to smiley!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi