Forums > Social Chat > It's good and bad to be home

Login/Join to Participate

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ok so just this last weekend Burning Brain, grasshoppah, and myself went to a local event called Sun Burn (its a decompression from burning man.) This was the first even tof its kind for all of us. Now all 3 of us have been to raves and such like that, but this was SO different, and better. I met some cool people, with some great vibes. After just 1 weekend, I did not want to return home. Sure i missed my family, but the first thing I wanted to do when I got home, was leave again. All the noise, problems, and everything else that goes along with "main stream" world bothers more than it ever has! So here I am feeling good to be home (warm bed, no hourses trying to eat my tent) but bad cause I just dont want to be here in civilazation! Now i know I have to be part of this sub-culture and at the same time I have to be part of this civilized world as well.........

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sounds just like my post-Glastonbury vibes every year.. Just live to know that you can go back next year, or find equally cool raves elsewhere.

Did you meet people there? Get any numbers? Meet up with them halfway through the year and stuff.. that's when you need it.

My best mate's philosophy after our last Glasto became "Every day is a festival" - it's not that you're in a cool place surrounded by cool people that you loved, it's the state of mind that situation put you in. Hold onto it, spread it around you and keep sight of it as much as you can. Don't let little worries get you down - your trip away showed you how good it is to be alive.

Civilisation sucks. Glad you agree, I've been saying it for ages.

Woah! That was all a bit deep! But hope you feel better.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Go to Burningman then!

Go to regional burns!

Go to Flipside in Texas next May!

If you liked a decompression party, then you are going to strait up adore the real thing!!!!

And I haven't been to Glasto (so you are going to say how would I know), and I hate to sound like an ass, but the burningman community is similar, but very different. no matter what nearly_all_gone might say, I know this is true. A dozen times I have heard people compare their favorite festivals to burningman, and every time I have gone and found something that only has a few elements in common with it, or, at best, something that is similar to what you might find in one small corner of burningman but with only 10% of the people acting like they would at a burn.

But under it all, the real difference is that Burningman will show you, strait to your face and without any pretense, just how fabulous civilization could be - what a treasure we could have if people just changed their precepts a bit. It will show you there is real hope for the future. It will show you what a real home in a real community is like, even though you live in a tent and your hometown exists for only a week year.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Oh I totally agree Vanize, I'm not really comparing Glasto to Burningman in an immediate sense, only that Glasto means loads to me and my way of life (within music) and I get a feeling similar to the one Fryed's describing when I go. I don't mean it in a spinning sense.

I've never been to anything like Burningman. The closest I've even got is going down to Falmouth and happening upon a fire meet on the beach when I was just going for a few spins. And it was one of the best nights of my life, just sitting and watching people spin, listening to the guitar and drum and smoking a little. I'd love to go to a properly big get-together because that was absolutely amazing. I felt so glad to be a little part of this massive community!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
oh i FULLY plan on going to burning man next year, plans already in progress biggrin

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too