Page: 123
Rovo
Rovo

(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
Total posts: 544
Posted:Has anyone been to the temple of poi website. Well it made me sick when I went there today. It is a site for a poi teaching place or whatever you want to call it. I don'tknow about everyone else but charging upwards of $900 for a week of poi training seems like an insult to the art to me. Online lessons are $90 for 6 begginner classes and $10 a move, one move, for advanced moves. I'm sorry but I find this wrong. On this site the workshops people can go to in England seem to be 3 pounds a head to cover rental fees of the space or else its free. Thats what this art is about, sharing, meeting others not making money. If other classes and stuff cost this much please correctme but i will still find them to be utterly ridiculus. It's giving poi to the masses making mass-produced spinners. I don't want to start any drama but I find this to be really F***ed up. Glittergirl who runs the site and academy is a wonderful spinner but i can't agree with having poi taught in tae bo/pilates style classes. It justgoes aginast all the reasons I like poi.

Peace, Love, Circles

Delete Topic

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Total posts: 5276
Posted:Written by: glittergirl

next thing: what i offer not just poi. i offer them an opportunity to learn about themselves, their bodies, their relationship to movement, their connection to their core and, in a lot of cases, development of their ego in a way that empowers them in their lives.

Can you actually put a price tag on that?

Apparently you can.

[But apart from that, I like you better now that you've posted a reply.]

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

Spanner
Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here
Total posts: 2790
Posted:Written by:
next thing: what i offer not just poi. i offer them an opportunity to learn about themselves, their bodies, their relationship to movement, their connection to their core and, in a lot of cases, development of their ego in a way that empowers them in their lives.

Can you actually put a price tag on that?

Of course not. But I can understand why you have: if the vunerable people described in the SFWeekly article who have come to you for help realised they could follow these opportunities without you and without paying hundreds of dollars to you, you'd be out of business pretty quick!

So, how many of your students realise they can learn poi equally well - dare I say even better? - from free or low cost resources, such as the very site we're posting on now? Not many, I'd bet, because it keeps you in control. You imply that you reduce the student learning curve: I believe you limit it in order to recieve the maximum profit.

Written by:
you thinking this should be free is your opinion. it isn't a law. it isn't an edict. it isn't a rule. it isn't common knowledge. it isn't disrepectful. and it isn't "true" just because you think it is.

Well, don't be surprised that people think exactly the same regarding your own thoughts.

Written by:
I think it is your limiting belief that somehow, buy charging money for something it somehow devalues what the consumer is paying for.

Written by:
life is such a beautiful thing. I can't imagine that if you really love poi and could find a way to empower other people to learn it faster, with more ease and in a way that has them develop a deeper understanding of their bodies that you wouldn't do it if you had the skill.

Again, you make the assumption that because you are being challenged, we couldn't possibly love poi or be skilled in it, at least, not as much as you. rolleyes It's not worth trying to pretend that this isn't plain arrogance. Being patronising is not a substitute for good reasoning.

Limiting belief? Just goes to show how little of your longer post on the other thread was actually genuine, if anything. I can't believe I wasted my time being so courteous there in order to find some answers when the real Glittergirl was lurking in this one all the time.

A sad day for poi indeed.

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

MiG
MiG

Self-Flagellation Expert
Total posts: 3415
Posted:Written by: Astar

I will consider poi ruined when their are people who feel the need to wear t-shirts with some short and clever phrase written in high contrast large letters expressing that they aren't like the poi spinners at the adjacent open space who are wearing t-shirts that show a picture of a famous DJ spinning oversized fire wicks with glowsticks attached halfways up the chain, photographed with an extended exposure.

with a line "boi p0i" or somethng.

Personally, Im not going to let these people invade my outdoor spinning space. But I may wear a paper bag over my head while I spin.

mate of mine has a tshirt, black, with white writing 'F*** me, im a DJ' on it.

Just for a laugh, i was going to get one with 'Dont F*** him cos he's a DJ' on the front, and 'F*** me, i spin fire' on the back. but i didnt.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Delete

Rovo
Rovo

(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
Total posts: 544
Posted:After reading all these posts I do not regret starting this thread. I feel that my veiws have been justified. Spanner I agree totally with your responses. I think it sums up alot of poiple's feelings. Oh and MiG I too was going to make a t-shirt about poi just because its something I love and I want to share it with others. Also someone else who spins might notice it.

Peace, Love, Circles

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Total posts: 5967
Posted:I have a t-shirt with a friend of mine in Cambodia spinning staff on it.

It's his silhouette with a perfect fire circle behind him.

I like it cos it's a good picture and because people ask what it is - yet another excuse to tell people about fire dancing biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

Page: 123