Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Has anyone been to the temple of poi website. Well it made me sick when I went there today. It is a site for a poi teaching place or whatever you want to call it. I don'tknow about everyone else but charging upwards of $900 for a week of poi training seems like an insult to the art to me. Online lessons are $90 for 6 begginner classes and $10 a move, one move, for advanced moves. I'm sorry but I find this wrong. On this site the workshops people can go to in England seem to be 3 pounds a head to cover rental fees of the space or else its free. Thats what this art is about, sharing, meeting others not making money. If other classes and stuff cost this much please correctme but i will still find them to be utterly ridiculus. It's giving poi to the masses making mass-produced spinners. I don't want to start any drama but I find this to be really F***ed up. Glittergirl who runs the site and academy is a wonderful spinner but i can't agree with having poi taught in tae bo/pilates style classes. It justgoes aginast all the reasons I like poi.

Peace, Love, Circles

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
SpitFire: I agree with your opinion. Therefore you are right! wink

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Im so glad you agree! wink

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Charging for studio classes & workshops, I think that is ok... I agree that some people learn better with that kind of structure. It's a great point of entry for allowing information to flow where it wants to go. but anyways...

I met Glittergirl at burning man and tried to casually converse with her about poi teaching, and she offered to sell me a temple of poi franchise (not interested) or to take her prohibitively expensive instructor training workshop (not likely anyhow, as I live far away from SF). I did not expect the conversation to be a one-way street, and certainly didn't think she would simply tell me everything she knows. I thought we could EXCHANGE ideas and thoughts, as 2 people who share a passion and are thoughtful and care about sharing our passion with others. She was very guarded and possesive of her knowlege. I think the conversation would have gone better if she had one or two small tips she didn't mind giving away, instead of erecting a brick wall with a toll booth. Leaving me sitting outside, she didn't get to find out that I have experiences to share as well! Based on my interaction with her, she didn't seem to give me credit that she could learn something new from me. I left that interaction feeling sad and laughing at the same time.

I AM working.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I'm not trying to be negative, really I'm not. I'm still really just getting used to the idea of charging money for teaching poi. Since (fire) poi is such a spiritual thing for me, I had never even thought about involving money and teaching. Not to say it can't be done, even without contradicting the spiritual side, I just haven't crossed that bridge yet, in a way I hope I never do, it's easier being an idealist ubblol

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i just read this briefly before bed. might not have understood it very well... but what ive understood, i think is bloody ridiculous.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i thought this thread was going to be about the fact that there was a poi clip on america's funniest videos last night
a girl with lit poi started spinning at her sides, then tried to do a cross-over, the poi clashed, one slaming into her stomach, the other flying off to get loged in a tree eek still burning
trully a sad day for poi, not to mention the person who sent it in to america's funniest home videos was sending the message that this was funny, but may also of been trying to win the cash prize off her mistake frown

sorry for changing the subject, on the acually discussion:

its okay to charge for services, but their has to be a limit, and any extensive franchising of an art form seems wrong to me

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
the whole thing makes my flesh creep.

another word (other than stupid) for peaple who might pay that kind of money is 'vunerable', have a look at the artical.

Filthy assistant, im not at all supprised, this is the overall vibe I get from the website and postings by GG. I see absolutly nothing wrong with teaching poi for a living, but this global corpoirate empire idea sets my teeth on edge. I think it would really ruin poi for the peaple who currently are most likely to do it, GG is no spinner, shes a buissness woman, and i hate buissness peaple. stuff like this bags and tags the whole thing. Oh the humanity!

yeah, cos im a freaky hippy i agree that anyone is free to do thier thing and get away with it if they can, but im also free to think its a puddle of scat masquerading as an artform. Theres a reason many peaple are being negative about this, its because its not the direction they want thier tresured artform to be taken in. And we know its being taken, shes to pro-active, agressive about her philosophy.

also, the reason why im being outspoken here is that i think theres a genuine danger of poi going like this, if not from GG then another ambitious person whos had their compassion destroyed by a hard american life.

peace.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh and two more words: Robert Heart.

so maybe there is hope after all.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
ubblol

there's always hope!

oh, I edited this to add to [Nx?] :

That looks like it was your 2200th post!

One hundred more and you'll have 2300!
EDITED_BY: filthy assistant #1 (1100040427)

I AM working.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
i find this scary.

but predictable.

but who are we to critisize? we have bastardized a traditional artform, now it's being morphed again.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
so I charge a rate for private tution and I charge money for my staff courses...
am I wrong?
Some people want to learn by seeing and some poeple want to learn by being taught... is this wrong?
156 dollars for a 6 week course doesn't actuially seem all that unreasonable. Michal charges a similar amount for her Apex courses....If Glitter Girl is good enough to teach then why shouldn't she charge for her knowledge...if someone deonsn't want to pay ythen they won't. Simple.
I didn't see any $900 per course though...mayeb it was a typo?
also.... the newspapares always make things look dumb...especially if you know what it's really about...
jeez when did you guys get so harsh?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ditto (about being harsh)

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
To avoid people clicking the "notify a moderator" button, and thus wasteing time of moderators who have better things to do. I edited my post and summed up my point.

Glittergirl is doing something bad, although she might make a bit of money off it, probably someone worse will steal her idea and make more money and ruin poi.

overall this is bad.

EDITED_BY: Astar (1100052789)

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
spank aww, I can see why the edit (although it made me snicker!) tongue

I AM working.

TheDezPdxBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
(SF Weekly artille) was a reminder of something I had forgoten almost 2 years ago. At that time I was not ready to commit to the art. I thought "I could never do that." Now I am ready.
I glossed over the majority of the artile, was inspired by Glittergirl's success overcoming some of the obsticles in her life, and helping others to do the same. Sure, this article does indicate a possible and probible "slippery slope" senario, but how does one "ruin" poi?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
you can't "ruin" poi. (unless you stupidly wash them in raw bleach... ubbcrying)

you can change public perception of it, and affect the demographic of the people who are attracted to it.

if there's any noticeable change in either of those then there'll probably be someone who'd consider it to be 'ruining' their appreciation of poi.

i reckon: as long the laws of physics remain constant, then poi as a whole is safe.

still, $10 per move? per move???
EDITED_BY: simian (1100062743)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Yeah...per move...that's a bit insane, eh?

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I would pay $10 per move for some of the ones I cant get. Even to fix some of the ones I have got that are really messy.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I will consider poi ruined when their are people who feel the need to wear t-shirts with some short and clever phrase written in high contrast large letters expressing that they aren't like the poi spinners at the adjacent open space who are wearing t-shirts that show a picture of a famous DJ spinning oversized fire wicks with glowsticks attached halfways up the chain, photographed with an extended exposure.

with a line "boi p0i" or somethng.

Personally, Im not going to let these people invade my outdoor spinning space. But I may wear a paper bag over my head while I spin.
EDITED_BY: Astar (1100066135)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: filthy assistant #1

Charging for studio classes & workshops, I think that is ok... I agree that some people learn better with that kind of structure. It's a great point of entry for allowing information to flow where it wants to go. but anyways...

I met Glittergirl at burning man and tried to casually converse with her about poi teaching, and she offered to sell me a temple of poi franchise (not interested) or to take her prohibitively expensive instructor training workshop (not likely anyhow, as I live far away from SF). I did not expect the conversation to be a one-way street, and certainly didn't think she would simply tell me everything she knows. I thought we could EXCHANGE ideas and thoughts, as 2 people who share a passion and are thoughtful and care about sharing our passion with others. She was very guarded and possesive of her knowlege. I think the conversation would have gone better if she had one or two small tips she didn't mind giving away, instead of erecting a brick wall with a toll booth. Leaving me sitting outside, she didn't get to find out that I have experiences to share as well! Based on my interaction with her, she didn't seem to give me credit that she could learn something new from me. I left that interaction feeling sad and laughing at the same time.

see, this is the core of what bothers me - that she did this at BURNINGMAN!

To me, that just plain says "I do not understand anything about anyone I'm hanging out with right now".

It also leads me dangerously close to falling back to my "firespinners on the playa" rant, which I will use the utmost self constraint to avoid presently.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Knoxious

so I charge a rate for private tution and I charge money for my staff courses...
am I wrong?
jeez when did you guys get so harsh?

in my opinion you're not wrong at all dave - as you know, i went on on one of your courses and it was worth twice the money you asked for.

but your philosophy is still that of a spinner, sharing your experience and knowledge with those who truly wish to learn.

at the end of your course you were rushing to cram as many ideas and concepts into our heads as you possibly could.

and at the very end you say 'go away, play, talk to each other and if you see me at a workshop, you can always ask me for some extra advice'.

if instead you said at the end 'that's everything there is - if you want to know more, you can come find me and if you give me a fiver, i'll show you a new move', that would suck.
and it seems to me, amongst other things, this is what 'glittergirl' is doing.

its not the principle of charging for structured, well-planned lessons that bothers me - as most of you know, i'm all for that.
read the teaching thread if you want to know my full opinion on sharing knowledge.
its the philosophy ms isaacs has put behind it that drew out the harsh comments.

from reading the article, it seems ms isaacs lost her job in the corporate world and with no way back in, she turned to the other world she is involved in to try to survive.
a noble and brave decision i think we'd all agree.
but to approach it with the aim of shameless self aggrandisement through turning the art into a pure money machine is bound to get people's backs up.

it appears from her aspirations and general attitude to the art that she didn't say 'i can do this beautiful thing and could maybe make some money sharing it with others'.
she said 'i can spin poi - how can i market and sell it to get a maximum return?'.
it seems the conclusion is to separate poi from the attitudes and philosophies surrounding it and turn it into another tai-bo-reebok-step-fitness-fad.

i wonder if she's clocked that there's already a fitness-fad named 'spinning'?
she might have to think very carefully about how she markets 'poi spinning' to the masses - if she's not careful she could well lose out on the illiterate dollar to someone with a bunch of exercise bikes... wink

i have to admit, i did feel a little pang of compassion for her when the reporter included an account of her fire equipment breaking.
but only in the same way as i felt when the fire performing bloke in lilo and stitch sets the stage on fire.
moral of that story? always check your equipment and risk assess your surroundings people - and if you're equipment is going to fail, just hope there isn't a journalist thats going to be writing a 5 page feature on you hanging around at the time wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Cole, well said...

and 'aggrandisement' - great word, not used enough biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Id like to point out that I think she could make a load of money if she took some emphasis off specifically poi, focused a lot on spinning stuff in general (and other skill toy disciplines, found instructors who can teach them (who can be found anywheres)

Found some trustworthy partners she can delegate things to.. also, blatantly ripped off the whole "curves" business in north america and it's philosphy towards fitness, but taken away it's "female only" mission statement (yet offered gender exclusive lessons/sessions/free time to access circut training equipment and instructors and generally turned it into a healthy and fun way to get fit.

If she can succeed in balanceing all these things and proceeding carefully, she can really create a corporate entity like she wants to, and slowly get rich (if she isn't assasinated by a journalist or "the competition" who use her own tactics only inversed or something.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Personally I wouldn't pay that kind of $ for poi lessons, but if there ARE people out there who would then let 'em!

Raph

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Written by:

i have to admit, i did feel a little pang of compassion for her when the reporter included an account of her fire equipment breaking.

Personally, i feel it's karma at work..."That never happened before"...

There is a god, even in the states.

¦s¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

glittergirlnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone.

I do teach full time. I do make my living teaching flow toys.
I teach in two different studios that fit 6 students and 3 students.

Group classes are $25 for an 80 minute session. Now, that is in San Francisco California which is (if not _the_ most expensive place to live in the USA) in the top 10 most expensive places in this country. To give you an idea, my rent for my apartment is $1900. That doesn't include the studio rent.

Next order of business:

The intensive class is a small -- usually 1, sometimes 2 -- students at a time. People come and get private instruction from me for $60 an hour. $900 class is $15 hours. it matches my rates. I have some people flying in a 2 weeks to take an intensive.

---

When I opened the business 2.5 years ago and didin't have much experience, i charged $25 an hour for privates and $90 for 12 weeks of classes. After working my ass off i was still barely paying my rent. I still wouldn't raise my prices because I didn't think i deserved it.

I have worked hard to hone my skills and develop a teaching style that empowers others and creates an experience well worth the money. I remind you, I live in a capitalistic country in a major city where the cost of living is high.

As I've developed my teaching techniques, I have increased my rates.

Students obviously like what i'm offering and you can see them on templeofpoi dot com go to the about section and then there are two pages of testimonials.

next thing: what i offer not just poi. i offer them an opportunity to learn about themselves, their bodies, their relationship to movement, their connection to their core and, in a lot of cases, development of their ego in a way that empowers them in their lives.

Can you actually put a price tag on that?

And, finally: if people want to pay for it, what do you care?

you thinking this should be free is your opinion. it isn't a law. it isn't an edict. it isn't a rule. it isn't common knowledge. it isn't disrepectful. and it isn't "true" just because you think it is.

I'm more interested in understanding _why_ you think it should be free...

I think it is your limiting belief that somehow, buy charging money for something it somehow devalues what the consumer is paying for.

in fact, it is the opposite. when people pay for it they are indicatingn there is value in it, not devaluing it.

anyway, i just posted a _very_ long response on the initial sf weekly thread which took me the better part of 12 hours to compose.

life is such a beautiful thing. I can't imagine that if you really love poi and could find a way to empower other people to learn it faster, with more ease and in a way that has them develop a deeper understanding of their bodies that you wouldn't do it if you had the skill.

I love teaching. when people get the moves and their faces light up and they realize, "I can do it!" i am moved again and again.

I give my heart to my work. My work is my life. My life is my work.

I really don't do anything else. I am passionate about the gifts of poi. If you don't believe me, find a temple of poi student and ask them.

in light and flow,
...isa

'Grace' is not demonstrated when things are going well; rather, when things aren't what you expected...

isa "glittergirl" isaacs
founder, temple of poi

glittergirlnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Written by: PoiPoiPoi

Personally, i feel it's karma at work..."That never happened before"...
There is a god, even in the states.
¦s¦

Yes! you're so right! I'm so glad the hoop broke at the practice because if it hadn't happened the dress rehearsal, it would have happened at the performance the next night! it was a blessing!

also, i think it is great to talk about the reality of equipment failure. It happens. how you deal with it is more important than how you deal with everything going smoothly.

'Grace' is not demonstrated when things are going well; rather, when things aren't what you expected...

isa "glittergirl" isaacs
founder, temple of poi

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
you know the best book ayn rand wrote was "anthem" after that she just started soundling like you.

Ive been talking about myself on this board for several days, and im pretty sure if I positioned myself in someone elses mind and watched them read it I wouldn't get flooded with nausea causeing hormones.

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I'm not arguing or anything, but it is my understanding, and my recollection, that this was, in fact, the original thread. the SF article came after, as did the olympic sport one.

Ummmm? *thinking real hard*

I'm going to go check the dates, and if I'm wrong I'll delete this in shame.

The only reason I write this is if you wanted to follow the conversation as it happened.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: glittergirl

next thing: what i offer not just poi. i offer them an opportunity to learn about themselves, their bodies, their relationship to movement, their connection to their core and, in a lot of cases, development of their ego in a way that empowers them in their lives.

Can you actually put a price tag on that?

Apparently you can.

[But apart from that, I like you better now that you've posted a reply.]

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Page: