Forums > Social Chat > a story about kingsley mole and lionel lark

Login/Join to Participate

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
owing to the amount of people asking me about my signature and the sudden interest in stories hereabouts i thought this might be appreciated.
it's a children's story written by marc bolan.
are you sitting comfortably?
then i shall begin.

Non-Https Image Link
Kingsley Mole and Lionel Lark Go A-Questing

Kingsley Mole sat high on a windy knoll, his eyes consuming the silent midnight woods. He nuzzled his long molish snout deep inside the heart of a marigold and let his molish imagination skip to and fro over sunken galleons and pirate pictures of rusted doubloons and deep-water cabins stacked to the brim with musty muskets and goldfish gauntlets, once worn by Henry Morgan.

The lark awoke and doffed its plumed three cornered hat to its own sleepy-eyed reflection, then it hopped past the crested nest of the snoring cuckoo, and flew off into the Lionel Lark morning looking for friend Mole.

Mole was on a marigold come down and sulkily scraped bluebeat rhythms with his ground-digging paw.
"Yes," he whispered, "Me and Li are going aquesting for the Lily Pond of Fox Necks."
Non-Https Image Link

"Li'll know all the mapping gen," so the Mole, kneeling on the soft soil, said a morning prayer to Ra, not even caring if he dirtied his yellow Rupert trousers because his molish mind knew that praying was special.

Lionel Lark was an alchemist by profession but he loved to quest. Li and Mole were a romantic pair. Li, with his many-coloured zodiac coat flapping about as he rode the dawn wind.

Rubbing his rimless spectacles, he lectured Mole in his larkish manner about the mythical Lily Pond and its latitude and longitude, and goofing sometimes, and mentioning the Hyperboreans, the frozen folk who lived behind the North Wind.

At eight o'clock he scribbled little spells and directions on a dried mushroom parchment and Moley got proudly into his pigs-bladder balloon. Lionel took off, at first a little shakily, but soon as swift as the lordly eagle, the Emperor of the Sky-Skinned Airships.

Non-Https Image Link
Bopping through the morning clouds, Kingsley rocked to and fro, now and again straightening his course by adjusting the misty spider's-web rope which was harnessed around Lionel's little puffed-out chest. They made a wonderful sight, these animal Wright brothers.

A lonely elf crunched the autumn leaves and solemnly dictated to his mouse scribe
Non-Https Image Link
long, winding spirals of wonderful runes which, in our heavy translation would awaken Ra at midnight, or un-hibernate a legion of poley albino-eyed hedgehogs or even cause a chasm on the deeply swirl of Fox Necks to drown a blessed water lily. Pan be praised for elfish ability to know about wisdom and to use it wisely.

The elf's autumn feet hidden in rose-petal, pointed shoes walked into The Mighty Grove and his never-ending stream of merriment soared and gushed Niagarally through the Wonderful Kingdom. But even as quick as it came, it had ceased. His wise eyes became beacons of true light.

As the piggy bundle tumbled from the blessed heavens, the leaping elf hastily harnessed his beloved, tame nightingale and made for the point of ejection with a heart of many carats. Entangled in thorns and briars was Kingsley Mole, his snout sticking high in the splendoured air; tents of zodiac folds cascaded over Lionel's larkish dome. De-spectacled, he moaned into Kingsley Mole's eyes and cursed all flying machines doomed to rely on the ficklety of piggish bladders
Non-Https Image Link

The two saddened creatures trundled from their rose-bush prison and lay scarlet and fatigued in the escaping afternoon. The handsome, elvin figure soared through dusking skies and upon landing, kissed the proud brow of his sky steed and called a greeting to Mole and Li.

After tea from acorn cups
Non-Https Image Link
and slices of blueberry pie, the handsome elf told all the large legends that he knew about the perilous pond and its scaly protectors
Non-Https Image Link
. Also of its healing ability and how one draught of pond dew could put forests of tangling tufts on the baldest badger or field mouse's heads.

After glow-worm talks and plans for the quest, the elf led the tired companions through the foreboding fairy wood until they reached a large, beautifully-worked leather fencing boot, which had a door in its heel.
"My great grandfather," the elf said, as Lionel commented about the image engraved on the door knob.
"An alchemist you know," said the fairy one.
"Mmmmm," said Li suspiciously.
They were made very comfortable in beds of great expanse, spider web sheets, and towers of warm, woolly moss blankets and, as always in an elvish abode, dreams of the gentlest texture.
Non-Https Image Link

[ 04 September 2002, 10:39: Message edited by: the mind gap ]

wherever you go, there you are.

*Anjuli*member
29 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry but the story is too long and i havent the patience to read it all...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey Sub, your sister appears to be a brat.

subs_lil_sis there's no need to be nasty now is there? Did you miss watching the Tweenies today or something? Mr Mind Gap is only trying to be nice. And if we ask him nicely maybe he'll break up his story into some paragraphs so it's easier to read. Or rather, put some spaces between his paragraphs so it's easier on the eye.

That's a university edumacation, that is, that teaches him to talk in big lumps like that.

Well done on writing all those words though Mind Gap. Nice story. Thank Mr Bolan for me next time you see him won't you?

Meh

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
to be fair i haven't managed to get a university education yet and time is ticking away.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
C@ntus, brat may be a little harsh , she is young and I suspect someone has been feeding her sugar again she also seems to have been unable to stay in one thread.

Mind Gap, finally managed to read it all, I think I might need a lot of drugs to make sense of it

Some splendid quotes in there though

[ 19 July 2002, 22:23: Message edited by: sub ]

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
ok. i've broken the story up a bit. quite difficult though coz the sentences are so long.
and i've put in some pictures for those who haven't quite progressed beyond peter and jane books

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
She's not that young Sub. Uless she lied about her age on her profile page: 28 October 1985 I make that 16. That's quite old I reckon. Old enough to show a little respect for other people's feelings.

Mind Gap act as if your feelings have been hurt....

Meh

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
act?? act???
it's not an act!
Non-Https Image Link

i was only trying to make people happy.
my parents must have been right all along. i'll never amount to anything. oh god, what's the point of it all..... i just can't take the rejection.
Non-Https Image Link

i think i'll go for a walk.
i may be some time.
Non-Https Image Link

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A "children's story????"

I just wrestled my way through it and story it may be, but "children's" it is not!

Now, is it appropriate for adults on hallucinogens?

Maaaaaaaybeeeee

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
What a brilliant story, thanks for taking the time to type it all in for us to share Did the original version have illustrations? If it did I'd love to see them.

Mike I disagree that it is not a childrens story. I think it is a story which would appeal to adults and children alike for different reasons in a similar way to Alice in Wonderland.

Onelove Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
originally the story was split into 2 parts and recorded for the first 2 tyrannosaurus rex albums - read by a very young sounding john peel - so there were no pictures.

and i have to admit that i far too lazy to type that many words all at once. after years spent listening to it over and over again i decided i needed a written copy so i nicked it off the internet.

anyway whether it was originally written as a children's story or a psychedelic story is not something that bothers me. i just reckon it's a great story and i hope others like it and agree.
Non-Https Image Link

[ 25 July 2002, 03:53: Message edited by: the mind gap ]

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
omg a young sounding John Peel, that's it the stories come alive for me, now.

thanks, I'm gonna read it again now.

p.s. I've tried hunting my deliquent sister down but she seems to be avoiding me as soon as I find her I'll teach her how to type in a more considerate manner, or something like that *slyly looks from side to side, starts whistling and exits stage left*

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

legionmember
73 posts

Posted:
she's hiding under her real name. but it'll never work.
we have spies in every camp
MWAHAHAHA

We all float down here.

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
*BUMP*

what's this doing on page 5?

is that what people really think about poor little kingsley mole?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Maybe Mr Mole was just tunnelling. He might have resurfaced if you'd let him alone. We may never know now.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Best bump this again or James'll sulk

Meh

cleanup operativemember
11 posts

Posted:
and they all lived happily ever after

shaders? on me lungs?? i'm being eaten away! this is the end of me! oh god in 'eaven 'elp me!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
They usually do.

Meh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
THanks for the story ... but I'm affraid I'll just wait for Cantus and Ros to get to my place on friday to help me out with the translation ...

I love stories though

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
for the sake of flynt and anyone else who's not been arsed to read this yet

*BUMP*

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
cass - i hope cantus' and ros' explanation of the story were satisfactory

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Thank you Mind Gap!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
bump

Meh

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
My god!! Is this still here?

More to the point, am I still here? Hmm... it's certainly been a while.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Certainly has old man

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Well, thats what I'd expect from a man who wrote "Deborah, always looked like a Zeb-r-a..."

hug