Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Are there any poi spin off tricks?

Login/Join to Participate

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I've seen the dip-staff-light-spin-and-chuck-in-the-air-to-make-a-big-flare trick and was wondering if there was anything similar with poi.

In an effort not to get Durbs'd to death I did actually search for ' "spin off" poi ' but that just bought up various random unrelated threads. biggrin

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

poi_boySILVER Member
stranger
42 posts

Posted:
never thought bout that actually.... have a play around tonite an let u know if ne thing appens....

easy ! ;p every days a festival!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
you can kinda whip them to get a fire ball.. this is how poi get broken though...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
If you spin around and drag your poi along the floor in a big circle, you get streaks of fire and if you're on the right ground it'll sometimes leave a ring of fire around you whilst you spin.

Of course, dragging your poi along concrete is not very advisable.

"Take that, math!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah circle burnoffs are better, I tend to get bits of burning parrafin in the eye when i do the whip one.

watch what sort of gtound your on tho, wet concrete and parrafin make for a very slippery combination.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Thank u all smile I it open my eyes more for disscusion.
Have a nice Fall time.

hug R

POI THEO(R)IST

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
It was post for different thread, but anyway its truth smile

POI THEO(R)IST

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
I tried the ground one on grass. Put my poi out frown but then, it had been burning for a bit so most of the excess had probably already gone

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
my favorite poi burn off is as follows: with very wet poi start doing a butterfly infront of you, add in a few quick mexican waves, transition to a 3bt weave, and after a few beats stall the poi so they hit the ground.

huge ring of fire *poof*

and now you're in a reverse 5bt weave or something ;]

i've seen people do sidewalks by just spinning in plane and walking backwards before they let the coleman's go pooof, and these look great too.

basically, just drip fuel onto the ground and light it. =]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Can you point me to a (small, I have a crappy connection) video of this one please? Do you do all this and then light and stall or do you do all that lit? I take it this wont work on grass?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hey Dom, swing round sometime and we can go through a few burn offs if you want? Haven't you seen us do them before? I wouldn't recommend the ground circle one on grass, especially if it's wet. Only if it's short and dry but then again how often is that in the UK?! umm

If you pop round we'll put COL5 on, there's a burn off in virtually every other clip on there and one really nice one where a guy ( can't remember which) makes a fire circle and then carves a straight oad through the middle of it, looks awesome biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
spinning the poi backwards, lift you foot of the ground and just gently clip the poi as it passes on the bottom of you r shoe... instant fire ball as the poi spins off in circle, then swap feet and side and do the same ... its hard to get every one or other one consistanly and it makes you shoes slippery... great on sand or dusty stuff though and you get great burn offssssss ............

circles on the ground and dry grass is excelent... although it can be an eye brow singer if your too close...

. sunny

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Bumping this.

I've tried a few of these and I've not had much luck with the fuel I'm using, what's everyone else got?

And of course, if anyone else has any ideas...