Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > just a few unique moves i want to put out there

Login/Join to Participate

JoeDononewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I'm new to this site, but I was looking through the new moves forum and I saw a lot of different people getting the same moves. I just thought I could add a little creativity here. I used to do yo-yo, so some of these moves are inspired by that.

One really cool move that I haven't seen anyone besides me get yet is this; start in a standard weave (forward or reverse, reverse is probably easier). Take whichever hand is crossing in front of your body (we'll say it's your right) and wrap that poi around your left arm ONCE. Move your left arm to your right side as if you were continuing the weave, and unwrap the wrapped poi. If you can do this, do it in reverse, then try wrapping both poi, one around your left wrist and the other around your left hand.

Another move that is simple to explain but hard to do is an UTL weave. Just life your leg up and do the weave under it.

One more move that's more interesting than cool. Start off by doing a forward weave that's NOT split-time, then you "fake" a bicep wrap, but instead of wrapping the poi, you push your elbow forward and spin the poi in your armpit. After you can do that on both sides, try to eliminate the extra natural rotation that comes after your poi shoot out from under your armpit. Go straight from one armpit to the other.

Have fun!!!

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Good stuff there... the first move we call through wraps, and can be done pretty much anywhere on your body - wrists, arms, biceps, legs, neck

UTL weave is fun, try an UTL fountain for some interesting fun smile

How can you do a weave that isn't split time? Do you mean just a crossover?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
same time weaves deffinetly posssible, although i reckon they are a right bitch to get actually looking same time, and not just a pile of yack...

crossover is same time 2bt i think.weird things to isolate to.. or so i find. i dont know much about this stuff though...

quarter (or any other weird timings you might be able to do) time isnt split time either, but even more peculiar.
EDITED_BY: oli (1099829154)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yup,

nice try, but your gonna have ta go back to the drawing board.

same time weave is ok, for me the secret was getting the same time cross. Ive no idea how you would isolate it tho eek

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
How can you do a weave that isnt splittime? Hybrid !
wink

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
I do the weave-wrap thing but twice without releasing so you can go straight into a buzzsaw.
That parallel time weave is a mystery...

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Oh, has anyone tried this (probably but I dont get to see many 'spinsters'): throw one poi from under your leg (or arm or anywhere really), swap second poi to other hand and catch the first again. Gives good 'aaaahh's.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
maybe I'm missing something (as usual), but I thought same time weaves were pretty easy??? yeah, the rythm is a little funky, but it's still a weave. but maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions based on the name...

and so now I know I've been doing thru-wraps for ages, so I can check that off of my list of "poi moves I have seen names for but haven't gotten around to reading about yet".

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
There are two types of same time weave - parallel and anti-phase. Anti-phase weaves are sort of what people do before learning proper weaves - at each point one poi is on each side. Parallell weaves are where the poi are in parallel - it's an even beat move if you do is symmetrically though!

I believe Dom can do an utterly pointles 8 beat parallel weave ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
spiralx, if i may disagree, if i understand you right....

parralell weaves cross once (like the newbie) then come to one side, then cross again before going to the other side. if your going for a full on imitation that is.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
you can't argue with spiral.. that's my job.. just as its arashi's job to argue with me.. wink I suppose you can have fairplay and let spiral argue with you.. or maybe you argue with arashi... there's no double teaming here.. that's just unfair.. ubbloco lolsign

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive recouped from the last argument and Im game for another. Who do I get to argue with and whats the topic?

Ah screw it... Nx?, youre wrong tongue

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
no double teaming??? But EVERYONE argues with me! I guess that's not double teaming though... and maybe I deserve it since I never bother to keep up with definitions and stuff. spank

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!