• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > My Muscles Are Sore...My Skin Is Bloody and Bruised...Owieeees!

Login/Join to Participate

Mistress Aurora

Mistress Aurora

Hot Schtuff

Total posts: 1032
Posted:Today at work I went in on my day off to help a coworker, Jennifer, take care of this woman's dog (which btw should've been put down a long time ago, but the woman is selfish and won't do it). It takes two techs to take the dog outside, because we have to use towels as slings to aid her in moving. It's baaaad. Anyways that's another issue I'm having to deal with.

Today we had one of the dog's boarding go into an epileptic seizure. I had to go into the cage with the dog, who is a full grown Golden Retriever, and support his head to keep him from slamming it on the concrete floor. At first I didn't know that he was having a seizer. I just thought he was just trying to get out of the run, but then I noticed him standing one second and then collapsing onto the floor and whinning and then getting back up and doing the same thing over and over. He wasn't clenching his muscles or having muscle spasms. He was just frantic to get out and he kept passing out it seemed like. I went in there and had to force him to stay in the run and to try and get him to sit. He did a lil but was so high strung. I just had to make sure to keep my arms under his head to when he did go down he wouldn't smack the floor and cause more damage to himself. He had already bit his tongue and so he was bleeding alil. I traded with Jennifer for a bit to give my muscles a chance to rest, and that way I could go fetch alot of blankets and towels and pillows to put in the run with him to help ease the risk of him injuring himself more. Jennifer went to call the vet and I took over trying to get him to calm down and to sit/lay down to lower the risk of his injuries.

He never tried to bite and wasn't having that kind of seizure, so it kind of caught us off guard because we only know of a couple types of seizures.

The vet said for us to give him 6cc of Valium to kind of sedate him so he could calm down. We gave it to him rectally(meds get into the bloodstream quicker because of the skin walls being so thin in that area). It took about 10-15mins for us to start seeing the effects of the Valium take affect. I was having to bend over and put all my weight and muscle strength (including the strength I got from having an adrenaline rush) to keep him from trying to get out of the run and to make sure I kept my hands or arms under his head to catch him and support him when he collapsed. I finally got him to lay down for me and get him calmed down.

His seizures got less and less until they were gone. I was in there having to use all the muscle strength I had for over an hour! My muscles feel like jello and are tender. My back muscles are still spasming alil. I also received ALOT of claw marks on my arms, stomach, and breasts. He had popped my bra open (front clasp) accidentally and raked and dug his claws into my boobs and raked down to the top of my jeans. I had blood on me from his bleeding tongue and tons and tons of drool from him slobbering while having his seizure. Needless to say I was a mess after the ordeal was over. ubbrollsmile

My cuts are bloody and hurt really bad, but I'll live. I also got a very nast bruise on my left elbow probably from the fence in the runs. It's very tender and hurts to bend my elbow out or to apply an pressure to it. It is getting better though.

The dog is on meds to help control his seizures. He is on KBR and Phenobarbitol. The only thing we can think of that might of caused his seizure was the fact that we have just started prescribing him Phenobarb. along with his KBR and so must not have given him a high enough dosage. Anyways we upped to dosage and all will hopefully be ok.

Hey Mike is there anything I can put on my cuts to keep them from hurting? I had taken a shower after work and so nothing dirt wise is in the scratches. I thought about putting either Solarcaine or just putting Neosporin on the cuts and no bandaide's (too many long cuts and I think would irritate the surrounding skin more). I don't think I should worry too much about my nasty bruise. It should go away in a few days or so.

I think I'll go take a pain reliever now frown

I need a tender one of these---> hug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Delete Topic

This_Energy
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

This_Energy

Total posts: 173
Posted:wow. *gives mistress aurora a hug* i give you all the sympathy you need. that musthave really sucked. ouch. poor doggy. and poor you!!!!

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

Delete

Psycho_lemming
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

Psycho_lemming

Running hippy spinning lemming

Total posts: 15
Posted:hug very gently

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:what the lemming said (or rather did)

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Mistress Aurora

Mistress Aurora

Hot Schtuff

Posted:hug Thanks guys

I think I'm just gonna go to bed now. I'm so mentally and physically exhausted.

I also had gone out to Dio's family farm to help clear brush and burn it, so needless to say that might have aggrivated my soreness rolleyes

hug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:hug hug hug

take a lovely shower or bath and relax those muscles and mind

take care

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

Puk
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

Puk

Sweet talented nutter

Total posts: 2615
Posted:hug hug hug

Get a massage

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Delete

Sakura_Moon

Sakura_Moon

Hop's Kitten Jester.

Total posts: 1803
Posted:*gently hugs*
I had a similar situation, in the bush, stupid amy caorps cades made me walk for three days straight carrying around 10 kilos in my pack, i hadnt had any food and i only had a small amount of water. Someone got sick and i had to carry them cross country. Turns out they werent that sick, i sat beside the fire that night for my pickett with hypothermia.
But, be glad that you helped the little guy
And i hate the woman who wont put him down.
Cow.

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Delete

BurningByron

Total posts: 340
Posted:I know this is probably sounds very obvious but put some antiseptic stuff on all of the injuries that broke the skin.

"I thought about putting either Solarcaine or just putting Neosporin"
I might just be really inexperienced (I am only 1st year med) or not canadian because I dont recognise either of these products, if they are antiseptics then use them otherwise.... Iodine is what I use whenever I get cut up... it doesnt hurt that much... The last thing you want is a serious infection.

If you are going to work with the animals again before you are all healed up then you must cover up any of your wounds to stop any re-contamination.

I spent a few hours mud wrestling with some buff med guys at the start of this year (dont mean to make you jealous Mike, its just how we do med in Australia!!) and I ended up with scratches all over my body from very small pebbles and sticks at the bottom of the mud pit we dug. I left all the scratches and cuts for a day before I did anything about them, BIG MISTAKE. They all hurt 10 times worse the next day and most of them were very inflamed. Moral of the story is put antiseptic stuff on all your wounds and also jelly wrestling is twice as fun, twice as tasty and much less painful than mud wrestling!!!

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

Delete

poiromaniac
BRONZE Member since Oct 2004

poiromaniac

Total posts: 97
Posted:mud wrestling, oh my goodness! spank

* people who dont like cats were probably mice in an earlier life *

Delete

OrangeBobo
SILVER Member since Nov 2003

OrangeBobo

veteran

Total posts: 1389
Posted:Mmm, mud wrestling is fuuun!

hughughug

Hope you heal fast!!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Delete

polythene

veteran

Total posts: 1359
Posted:Jelly wrestling also makes a good video. (Where DID that old Kent thread go?)

Hope your owies heal soon, Aurora hug

EDITED_BY: polythene (1099826904)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Delete

Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:hug

Hope you heal soon

hug2

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

Mistress Aurora

Mistress Aurora

Hot Schtuff

Posted:Thank yall for the tender hug ubblove

I think I'm even more sore and tender today than I was yesterday!
I can literally feel all/most of the muscles in my back, legs, and butt! My scratches are better looking today. The ones on my stomach and chest have all but disapeared and the ones on my arms are raw still but healing.

BurningByron:
Solarcaine is a US over the counter antiseptic spray and Neosporine is an ointment you usually apply to cuts or scrapes and then put a band aide over them. Neosporine would be too messy for my arms, because I can't put band aides on. So I'm just gonna spray Solarcaine on em. (Solarcaine is mostly used for sunburns so that way you don't have to rub or touch your irritated skin like some other sunburn rememdies. It also helps in other types of burns and cuts and bug bites).

I took a nice hot shower and let it hit my back this morning...It helped alil. I'll just have to take it easy and hope to be better by tomorrow when I have to go into work. I will have to probably get help lifting dogs into and out of the tub.

Sakura _moon wrote:
Written by:
I had a similar situation, in the bush, stupid amy caorps cades made me walk for three days straight carrying around 10 kilos in my pack, i hadnt had any food and i only had a small amount of water. Someone got sick and i had to carry them cross country. Turns out they werent that sick, i sat beside the fire that night for my pickett with hypothermia.

That sucks. Here's a tender hug for you too.

Also written by Sakura_moon:
Written by:
But, be glad that you helped the little guy
And i hate the woman who wont put him down.
Cow.

The epileptic dog is not the one that needs to be put down. It is another dog that does. The epileptic dog is only 2, sad thing for his age), and the doggy that needs to be euthanized is a Chow that is almost 20!!!

The Chow's owner has to put a baby's diaper on the dog because it is incognite(no control of bowel/bladder movements). Last time the dog came in for boarding we had to bathe her everyday with a medicated shampoo because of her very bad urine scalds. The dog smells like death..I kid you not. She doesn't know where she is or what she is doing really. She is like an empty shell with no soul in it anymore. The owner is a psycho and is selfish we all think. But there is nothing we can do except let the owner now when it is time to put the dog down. We were all, sadly, wishing the dog had renal failer so we could advise the woman the dog REALLY needs to be euthanized. But the only reason for her diarrhea was due to some hook worms that can easily be taken care with a powder you put on their food that they eat called Panacure.

Ethically the vets don't really advise people to put animals down unless the animal REALLY IS SUFFERING, which the chow really isn't at all, or in special cercumstances like the Parvo virus.

I still would like to ask her exactly why if she loves her dog that much would she want to keep her alive like that. Everytime us techs advise the dog would be better off put down the woman gets pissy with us.

We have to help the dog eat, which sucks with the Panacure powder which has to be given once a day for 3 consecutive days. We had to take a big syringe and add the powder with a lil canned dog food and some water and force it down the back of her throat! We even have to make sure she eats because she is just so un-interested in anything except for sleeping.

And yes she is a stupid cow

Delete

Lillie Frog

Lillie Frog

not a stranger

Total posts: 558
Posted:Bid hugs to you and the poor doggies, especially the chow.

Oddly enough when I wasa kidwe hada epileptic dog. The fits started sometime after he was hit by a car so we assumed it was some kind of brain damage.
He just used to throwfits occassionally. I don't think we ever went to the vets about it, it was just what the dog did. we would just stare at him while he fell down and shook and when he started to recover put him outside because he would always loose control of his bowels after. The only problems was if someone was there who didn't understand, and then they would panic, or ifthe dog was out. I remember quite a few times standing by theside of the road with the dog fitting on the end of the lead, waiting for him to stop because I was to big to be caried home by me. It was really embarrassing if anyone came past, because they would stop and stare and ask stupid questions, like what's thematter with him? It was pretty obvious he was throwing a fit!

Well, he lived to a grand old age. He was the much loved dog of my childhood, and the fits were just something he did sometimes. He coped and we coped.

I've always been curious about epileptic dogs ever since.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

Delete

Mistress Aurora

Mistress Aurora

Hot Schtuff

Posted:The Golden Retriever was apparently born with them I believe. He is also blind in one eye. He is a really nice dog and very rambuctious.

I've heard of dogs that went into their fits and would turn on their owners. Most of those dogs are very dangerous to own and usually end up being put down.

I just know of two types of seizures, both in animals and people. One is convulsions and the other is staring out into space and drooling. Most of those did end up with them losing control of their bowels/bladder movements as well.

One of my old dogs died of kidney failure along with having hip dysplasia. She went into a seizure that was close to the convulsion type and lost control of her bowels. She was almost 12 and she then died after that. She was gonna be put down that day anyways. Sad really. frown

And yeah I hate when people panic. People get stupid when they panic in my oppinion. I just get into a mode of analyzing the situation and determining where to go from there. Yeah and most people do ask stupid questions. ubblol

Delete

Lillie Frog

Lillie Frog

not a stranger

Total posts: 558
Posted:The sort our dog had was he would stand still and start to shake, then he would collapse and shake some more, especially his leg. Then he would get up again, a bit wobbly, loose control and be ok.
He never bit anyone. (except me, once, which was an accident and he was more shocked than I was!)

He had them most of his life, but never vey often.

At the same time I had a close friend who had epilepsy (petit mal), and she had loads of meds.
I suppose the poor dog just missed out on the barbs! biggrin

When I was little I always wanted to be a kennel maid, Isuppose, from what you've said, there are bits that are not so nice, selfish incompetent owners, biting dogs etc.
Still, animals are often nicer than people, so it must be good working with them.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:Wow, how skeery! But interesting that we use the same drugs in people.

Take Motrin for the aches and pain, Aurora!

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Mistress Aurora

Mistress Aurora

Hot Schtuff

Posted:I feel pretty much back to normal now. Thanks guys for all the hug and advice.

Quote from Lightning:
Written by:
But interesting that we use the same drugs in people

Yeah it is. After I got a really bad allergies to mold the dr.'s prescribed me Prednisone...I only thought it was for dogs, because we prescribe it alot to patients and some stay on it quite a bit. ubblol

Delete