poi_boySILVER Member
stranger
42 posts

Posted:
well as it says really... just wonderin what different ways ppl hold the poi...??
okey just to explain where i'm coming from a little.. i know loadsa ppl use double or single looped handles but does ne one have any thing random they've found to use?
I always use the keyring that holds my double loop handles to the chains, as in my index finger goes through the ring.. then when doin throws or whatever needs it i slip me fingers out an grab the handles in me hand but use no loops ....
well there u go ... how bout u's?

easy ! ;p every days a festival!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ill repost what I just put in the Technical forum about the new handles I made.

---Start---
Yesterday I made a new set of handles for my poi. I wanted some handles that were slightly weighted and easy to catch for doing throws. My socks are wonderful for throws with their big knots for handles. So I wanted to make a handle modeled after my socks.

I went to the local craft store and bought a 1 3/4" wooden doll head which is basically just a wooden ball with a flat side and a hole drilled in it. Then I went to Home Depot and got an #8" closed hook (hook with an eyelet instead of an actual hook) which fits perfectly into the pre-drilled holes in the balls. Went home and dripped a little PVA glue into the ball holes then screwed in the hooks. Heated up the hooks with a lighter for a minute or two to harden the glue. And voilla, some nice new weighted ball handles. I attached them right to my quicklinks that were still attached to my ball chain.

The doll heads cost about 45 cents each and the hooks were 1.50 for 3. So in all I spent less than 3 bucks. Figured id pass on this info in case anyone else wants to make some new handles.
---End---

Since Im doing throws a lot now, I had to change to a non-finger grip.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I'm planning on buying some socks and tying them around the top of my chains. It ought to give the same feel as socks. I'm a little worried about them catching fire though...

ICoN's idea is cool, but I really want something as close to the feeling of socks as possible.

"Take that, math!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
socks are rubbish, lol wink

but they dont make real circles, they make elipses.

if you really want a sock effect try adding a strain gauge to your chains, the spring will give it the required bounce. but do it in the middle or near the handles, cos heat + spings = messy.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
There's a more expensive way to make handles similar to the ones I described earlier that will give more of a sock feel also. Get some leather straps or rope and make a monkey fist out of it. Leave a long strip hanging out of it and braid it so that you end up with a leather monkey fist knot with a 4-6 inch leash. Attach a metal ring to the end of the leash and connect it to your chan. You now have a nice leather grip with a knot at the end. Gives a more sockey feel with less stretch/bounce and immunity to fire.

Alternatively, Ive thought about attaching some bungee cord near the handles to add a bit more stretch. Havent tried this method yet though.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]
socks are rubbish, lol wink

but they dont make real circles, they make elipses.

if you really want a sock effect try adding a strain gauge to your chains, the spring will give it the required bounce. but do it in the middle or near the handles, cos heat + spings = messy.

T wave

Ah, circles are SO last year anyway... :P

I was more talking about the feel of the handle, not the stretch.

The monkeyfist idea is a pretty nice one. Leather would probably cope with the heat pretty well too...

"Take that, math!"

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
egg shapes i reckon... tongue

and if you want extreame fire sockyness, then get a bit of kevlar rope, tie a big monkey fist in one end and a littler one in the other end. dip the big end, hold on to the other end. i know poipoipoi (mr sphurclism) has got some poi like this.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no