Forums > Social Discussion > National guard pilot strafes a school.

Login/Join to Participate

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Only this time, they are shooting up civilian buildings in their own boarders.

https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st.../school_strafed

I love how the national guard trys to spin it like they are concerned. How long has the live fire range existed 3 and 1/2 miles away from the school? And it never occured to anyone it's a bad idea to strafe it with a 20MM cannon (which fires 3000-6000 rounds per minute depending on the configuration) from 7000 thousand feet in the air?

They are bloody lucky someone wasn't killed.

for reference
Non-Https Image Link
that is a 20MM bullet, it is .7 inches wide and about 2 inches long, the rest of the length (which makes up over half) is high explosive powder much more powerful then what propels 'normal' bullets.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Heh! I can tell you exaclty what happened - pilots go around all the time doing pretend strafing runs on busses, cars buildings and pretty much anything that could possibly resemble a war-time target. they are pretty much encouraged to do this I think so they get lots of practice. I've been in a T-37 with the pilot doing pretty much exactly this half the time for the 45 minutes I was flying in it.

so this guy was probably doing a run on a standard "target" of his that he's done passses many times before, but this time he forgot that he actually ammunition in his gun and had turned off his safety for the live fire excersize! what a dolt!

he is going to get his ass royally chewed out, but nothing of the true nature of the accident will ever make it out of military circles. contain the damamge, protect their own, and deal with it internally is the way they operate. He's just really lucky his little muck up didn't hurt anyone. His kids probably go to that school!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
he's lucky his muckup didn't happen with a cluster bomb or fuel air bomb. If it is infact a matter of being to damn stupid to not train himself with an automatic reaction to switch the safety on when he wishes to avoid shooting live rounds.

either way 3.5 miles is disgustingly close to development for a live fire range. It's not like their is a shortage of unoccupied land in america.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
proximity of schools in military towns to fire ranges is not uncommon.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
here in our military towns, all the live fire rangers are well away from the base. You have to trespass deep into their land (and ignore their warning signs) to be close to harms way.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This was over the river in New Jersey.

The military's explanation was funny. Something like "He wasn't shooting AT the school, he was very far away from the school at the time."

Maybe the millitary has a different definition of the word "at".

It certainly does make all the national papers whenever a predominantly white school get shot up. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Astar

How long has the live fire range existed 3 and 1/2 miles away from the school? And it never occured to anyone it's a bad idea to strafe it with a 20MM cannon (which fires 3000-6000 rounds per minute depending on the configuration) from 7000 thousand feet in the air?

BTW, all those questions were pretty clearly answered in the article.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Q:"how long has the live fire range existed 3 and 1/2 miles away from the school?"

A:" The range has been used by the military since the end of World War II, long before this area of south Jersey was developed."

A range of 60 years

Q:"And it never occured to anyone it's a bad idea to strafe it with a 20MM cannon (which fires 3000-6000 rounds per minute depending on the configuration) from 7000 thousand feet in the air?"

A:"'The National Guard takes this situation very seriously,' said Lt. Col. Roberta Niedt, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. 'The safety of our people and the surrounding communities are our foremost concern.'"

So they are concerned? yet they use it as a live fire range for jet aircraft?

If you considers those "clear answers" maybe you should become a politician.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
If this is the worst that happens in the next four years, I reckon we're all very lucky.

Personally I'm gonna start building an air-raid shelter in the garden, in case there are any "friendly fire" incidents with cruise missiles.

Speaking of which, how long before the yanks decide to have a pop at the Black Watch? I predict, right now, that at least one of those British soldiers will get a cap in the ass from one of those badly trained gung-ho idiots.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988