Forums > Social Chat > Stupid parents with stupid kids

Login/Join to Participate

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhhhhhhh I was performing on sunday (fire staff) and parents were letting the kids come up so close that I ended up burning myself inorder to protect someones kid. I mean how stupid can you get, maybe they dont realise that fire actully burns... Mmmmmmmmmmm (ponders) weavesmiley

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

poi_playerBRONZE Member
121 posts

Posted:
ive had the same problem, although it wasnt with fire, i was spinning light sticks and these kids just walk right up, ive hit myself in the head way more times than i should just so i dont nail someone. it is rather annoying

If you're a pyro and you know it, clap your hands!
clap clap

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
thats when i would put the fire toys down and yell at the parents..I get a temper when it comes to safety.

"hey tell your kid they need to stay away or they'll come back to you with burns" ubblol

I don't care if the parents get pissed at me or not I'll voice my concern.

How old were the kids? Could you have asked them to step back?

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
sometimes to light my staff, i put some fuel on my hand that then very quickly touch the staff to ignite it .... then at the end of the show i get people who say things like " that wasnt real fire was it " ... well gee , i dont know of any other type of fire you get !!! some people , dumb people !!!!!!!!

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hope this works (toes crossed)
We even had to get some one to go and tell the parents to keep there kids back, but I think the arents saw us as babysitters.... What pisses me off is that even if someone walks into the fire, then we can get into alot of [censored] even though its not or falt...! I had to stop a kid from tring to drink the fuel whilst his mother was standing beside him. (our fuel was in a sealed buket where the public werent even ment to be)

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
i have had several people ask me "is that real fire?" duh...

the children walking up happens alot also...
we spin at a very popular beach ...so there is always a crowd and almost always stray children trying to walk into the fire....

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
"is that real fire?"

eek **boggles**

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
grrrrr,

maybe i'm just bad with children, but i find that scaring them is the best way - shout something like 'F**K off you stipid kid, do you want to get KILLED !!!' usually makes them run away. ubbangel

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

1,032 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I see some people "like moths to a flame". Are people that ignorant of their surroundings. Meaning do people think...Hey I won't get hurt, because that isn't real fire is it?

I would yell profanities at the parents for letting their children be so close. It's not the kids faults they weren't taught "fire hurts johnny".

As for the kid wanting to drink fuel?
Natural Selection ubblol

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

"is that real fire?"

eek **boggles**

ubblol

bejeezus.... i dont perform, so if there's annoying children around i can just stop, they get bored and go away..... If they don't believe it's real fire, you could just threaten to whack them with the poi/staff - for some reason, that causes slightly more concern than the threat of burning... confused

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I had a similar experience with some 16 year olds at a party saw me twirl fire then when I had my back turned to talk to the host of the party the little censored grabbed my staff, double poi and single head poi and lit them without fuel on them...

Needless to say I was censored off.

First who do they think they are touching MY equipment without my permission...and second they have no idea what they were doing and they just didn't get that it was dangerous.

Seriously some of the younger one (I did say some not all) have absolutely no brain power!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Kids just get obssessed by poi. It's like dogs. During the day I spin near a kids park, and let the little terrors only have a go with my tailed poi, and then only one at a time. But they always ask about the monkey fists eek generally I let them see how hard and heavy they are, and then they lose interest, but some still keep asking! Also I was teaching some basic stuff at a juggling society meet, and some mum seemed quite happy to let her kids run all over the shop. I'm sorry but I wouldn't let my kids run in and out of people learning poi, or even ones that are really skilled. Then again, sometimes they're just cool with watching. I think it depends on the adults to take their kids in hand a bit, some people are just ignorant, and we get flak if someone gets hurt (or expect to) I think that's why we get so indignant at irresponsible people. Oh yeah, going back to my first comment, has anyone else noticed how dogs take an unhealthy interest in day poi, and go mad at fire poi?
Anyway, enough ranting..... ubbangel

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Most kids are completely fascinated by fire in any form, as are most of us. Probably part of the reason there are so many burns victims in the hospitals especially kids who end up with horrific scarring. My youngest will sit and watch me spin for as long as we do it and although he keeps away from the poi he cannot resist the lamp that I use to light the poi from.

Having a defined area for them to stay behind may help so they know how far away they must be. Kids dont know how breakable they are and many of us parents , including me, dont always watch the kids as well as we should. A rope on the ground is a simple way of showing an area that they then now as a boundary.

Stopping the spin and telling them to get back is entirely reasonable and to do it in a way that keeps your own dignity is admirable. With nonfire poi my kids get a few warnings then get hit by the balls and will learn to duck and weave as well as to keep out of the way.

Written by:

We even had to get some one to go and tell the parents to keep there kids back, but I think the arents saw us as babysitters.... What pisses me off is that even if someone walks into the fire, then we can get into alot of censored even though its not or falt...! I had to stop a kid from tring to drink the fuel whilst his mother was standing beside him. (our fuel was in a sealed buket where the public werent even ment to be)

Thats a good way of dealing with it and makes the situation as a whole safer.But I think we have to accept the inherant stupidity of mankind and deal with it.

We are part of a group that does display combat and we often have people walk through the middle of a battle or want to come and fight eek. We have a double roped off area and people on the ropes stopping kids coming in . People are weird, accept this. wink ubbrollsmile

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
my favorite was when i was stringing and someone walked into me... as if glowsticks that were recently cracked and glowing bright wasn't enough of a warning... and someone else with them walked up to me and told me, "you shouldn't be doing that here!"

i was just like... uhhh my bad you guys.

right after someone came up to me and told me how cool it looked, but whatever....

damn dumb people being all dumb all the time....

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
My parents are the opposite, i cant go near anyone when i'm playing with fire. They scream at me lots and lots if i come within 5 m of them!!! i'm only allowed to do fire at home!!!!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
this is going to be a very stupid question but

do you have an area roped off or with markers showing ppl were they can come up to before they are inside your area?

also

when this happens to me, i stop

its simple as i stop and make it very well known that they, their children, or anything is the causeof teh probelm, or takl to them beofr eyou start,

you have a mouth, you can build it in as part of your routine, some worlds, a laugh or two, and then a word of caution as you go throught your routine

like -
"now this trick is rather dangerous, so if you could all jst take a step back, cos some of you are a lil close"

and so on

still i knwo what you all mean

but ppl think because you are doing a show, you dont screw up...it dont pass into their head

Step (el-nombrie)

1,032 posts

Posted:
I hate seeing people smoking near fueling stations even though our fuel station is clearly seen as a "fuel" station. Thank goodness for buds to keep the public in check. wink

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I like watching peeps doing fire. Even when i hadnt started twirling i loved the stuff, but i never got close. I was terrified of it and mesmerised. I just dont get peeps that get so damn close.

Spinning at glasto and womad is always a prob. People seem to assume you have eyes in the back of your head, and when they walk into me they thinks its my fault, and tell me i shud watch where im going. gits.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."