Pid
Total posts: 9
Posted:Heye dude. i have been looking at some photos and the fire poi have huge flame tails. how do i get me big flame like this. it rocks!!!! ubbloco

Delete Topic

nearly_all_gone
nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1626
Posted:A long exposure time on a camera.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

Pid
Posted:Ok. thanks. also what are monkey fists?

Delete

nearly_all_gone
nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah
Posted:Click me

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

Pid
Posted:are they better or something?

Delete

Ifrit
Ifrit

The GF of HoP
Total posts: 492
Posted:put simply yes

fire leads to creation

Delete

Ifrit
Ifrit

The GF of HoP
Total posts: 492
Posted:sorry bout that it was alil rude, there better as they have a larger surface area therefore bigger flame, plus they hold more paraffin.

fire leads to creation

Delete

nearly_all_gone
nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah
Posted:And they look nicer flying though the air.

Seriously thoughPid, try doing a search for this stuff. There's millions of threads about it already and people will be less likely to reply to a thread asking the same question that's been asked a million times before.

Just friendly advice for a new person. Also if someone says do a Durbs it means do a search. biggrin

Thoreau

Delete

MikeIcon
MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2109
Posted:Written by:
sorry bout that it was alil rude, there better as they have a larger surface area therefore bigger flame, plus they hold more paraffin.

Actually, you have that kinda backwards. Monkey fists are spherical which means more volume and less surface area. This means the flames will be smaller than similar sized tube cores and cathedrals but will burn for much longer.

Im personally not a big fan of monkey fists because 1) I like big flames and 2) while monkey fists do burn for a long ass time, the flame looks like crap after the first few minutes. Cathedrals are my fav.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

Cody
Cody

That guy from Reno
Total posts: 556
Posted:I agree with Icon, but I really like loose cathedrals. You want surface area? Use about 6' of 4" per wick. Well ok don't, work your way up to that. But I gots some TAILS. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Delete

MikeIcon
MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2109
Posted:I said I like big flames... Not Mack trucks on chains smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

Mags The Jedi
Mags The Jedi

Fool
Total posts: 2020
Posted:Personally i prefer Monkey fists, but i agree with most of Icons points. I dont think the flames look crap, but they do take a bit more soaking than some other wicks.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Delete

Wai
Total posts: 24
Posted:I know the perfect ide! Buy or make both mokey fists and Cathedral like I will do biggrin in that way you can try both of them.

//Wai

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3899
Posted:Written by: ICoN

Actually, you have that kinda backwards. Monkey fists are spherical which means more volume and less surface area. This means the flames will be smaller than similar sized tube cores and cathedrals but will burn for much longer.

actually - higher volume to surface area should mean a longer burn. but there are so many variables in wick construction that it is difficult to use the volume to surface area argument for anything more than a first order appoximation to a guess about how a wick is going to behave. for example, monkey fists actually have a much higher surface area than a normal sphere since it is a knot. there is also typically a non-wick core at the center of a monkey fist, which reduces its fuel holding volume. then there is how tight you tie the knot - too loose and you fling out a sigificant amount your fuel before it burns, too tight and it won't absorbe as much fuel or let as much of it migrate to the surface where it can burn. these considerations and others affect cathedrals and cylindrical wicks too.

Personally my favorite are boxed cathedrals - where you close a traditional cathedral wick within a single layer box of the same type of kevlar. I've only used monkey fists a couple times (thanks Mags!) though, and I did see that they have some appealing qualities as well (for one thing, they detangle faster - no square edges to catch each other). But I am reluctant to buy wicks, preferring my own construction - which means I am going to have to learn how to tie a monkey fist knot if I want to really get to know them and make an unbiased judgement...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

MiG
MiG

Self-Flagellation Expert
Total posts: 3415
Posted:there are a few sites out and about re tying monkey fists. pretty tricky the first few times though.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Delete

nearly_all_gone
nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah
Posted:Including HoP, which has the best monkeyfist tying animation I'm yet to find (towards the bottom of the page)

Thoreau

Delete