Forums > Social Chat > President of the United States of America is......

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
George W. Bush...........Kerry called and conceded the election. go to msnbc.msn.com for the full story...........sorry everyone

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
huuuum dont agree with the most part but then again i feel quite strongly about this point,i dont believe this is the place to air my views about it as it may offend a few people. If you would like to go into this them please PM me an we can talk that way. If not then spin some poi and i hope you have a nice day smile

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

surely you're not so ignorant and small-minded that you think what happens in America has no effect on the rest of the world?

Voting for Bush was a vote to not allow the rest of the world to dominate our policymaking in the very same way you're complaining our government influences yours. I'm sorry you feel the US gov't has slighted you in some way, but can you blame Americans for not wanting our decisions taken out of our own hands?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
No no, we might not agree on who you chose, but vote for who you want, I just take offence at being told that I should have no interest in american politics and to leave it all alone, even though american policy quite obviously influences the whole world.

I'm well aware that I have no part in getting to pick the most powerful man in the world, but since moaning about it is all I can do, I don't see why I should stop wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Better the devil you DON'T know

At least then you can have hope.

(unless, of course, you have any pacts pending)

As for not getting involved in the politics of another country, I'm certain there are plenty of countries that feel just that way towards America. Their concern is likely to stretch somewhat beyond the foreigners discussing the relative merits (or otherwise) of their politicians though.

Would outside interest be so unwelcome if it weren't contrary to your own views?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't a vote for kerry be a vote not not allow the world to dominate your policy makeing? He was calling for more isolatinist policy makeing, which as a result makes america more soverign. Is this difficult to understand?

If you want to listen to osama, he got involved in america because america got involved in the middle east. You know, the guy who supposedly calls all the evil shots agaisnt freedome? Bush (and kerry) both claim they want to continue to fight terror. Fighting terror means medeling with someone elses world. So, by voteing for bush you are infact opening yourself to people medelling with your world, with bombs.

I like how people don't even understand bush's clearly stated campaign.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Just four more years, what could happen in just four years, eh? [/famouslastwords]

My two cents worth: I object to Bush as it seems that he makes policys based on his fundimentalist Christian faith and I believe these policys are harmful. However I will also admit he's in the Whitehouse, there's nothing I can do about it and that I don't honestly know enough about his policys or American/Global ploltics to hold a solid opinion.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
It's all rather pointless now, in honesty.

He got in. There is nothing can be done.

I don't know what it will take for half of America to wake up to what Bush is doing. Would another couple of planes do it? Or would that just add to the fear he has skillfully manipulated in their minds?

I like to think they really believe it because they have been duped by a professional media/government misinformation machine (echoes of Hitler's Germany)... but then I hear Americans say things like 'I voted Bush cos I don't want the rest of the world to make my decisions' or 'I voted Bush cos I didn't trust the other guy (?!!)' or 'I voted Bush cos he'll get those al-Qaida dudes outta Iraq' and I am forced to believe that it is just plain old stupidity. Don't you people read?

I have also heard regularly over the last few days Americans saying 'I don't care what the rest of the world thinks' and 'Who cares about the rest of the world' - a sentiment evidenced by the vote.

Americans - this is why the rest of the world believes you to be arrogant and self-obssessed. You HAVE to care about the rest of the world because, despite political borders you are nothing more than a human being.

It has been instilled in you since you were a toddler 'God Bless America' - well, you know what, it should be 'God Bless the World' because you are no better than anyone else.

You are no better than the Iraqis you kill. You are no better than the Afghans.
No human being is better than any other - that is why you should care!

And for those Americans who don't support Bush's view and feel they are being unfairly labelled... I apologise for your suffering... but you will have to get used to the fact that the rest of the world now has nothing but contempt for America. Go travelling and see it for yourself if you have any doubts.

Again, I apologise if this post is rather harsh, but I have had the worst week imaginable and sometimes blatant stupidity makes me lose my temper.

Getting to the other side smile

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
this is so embarrasing to be an american right now.

I AM working.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Personally, I don't think Blair wanted Bush to have a third term

I think you mean 2 terms? President of US is only allowed to be in two terms of office.

Ok keep this in mind folks...We voted for whoever we believed would help out in Domestic issues, but also International issues as well. I didn't agree with alot of what either canidate said, but I believed Bush would be a better choice over Kerry. Hopefully in the next election we will get somebody more qualified to be our president, unfortunately that didn't happen this election.

Kerry might have gotten more votes, but the fact that he was so straddling the fence on some issues didn't help his cause. If he had more to offer to our nation, then I would of voted for him. He didn't, so I would of voted for Bush, because his views fitted more with what I wanted.

I still want to see Stem Cell Research and women to have a right to abortion and gay marriage. The states still have a say in that. smile

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. I heard a BBC news report during election time that said that during 'his watch' Bush has seen more jobs lost than at the time of the Great Depression.

And surely if Bush passes a Bill that makes gay marriage illegal outright and abortion illegal, then it doesn't matter if the states want different?!

Also, I admit that the economy seems strong at the minute - but bear in mind that it is being temporarily bolstered by a nation at war and companies making money from trade agreements set up as pay-off for supporting that war.

And what, exactly, is wrong with straddling the fence on issues that didn't help his cause - ALL politicans do that - Bush didn't even offer an opinion one way or another, he just mumbled rhetoric until the spotlight passed!! What does Bush have to offer your nation? Stability? Jobs? Healthcare? Education?!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Voting for Bush was a vote to not allow the rest of the world to dominate our policymaking in the very same way you're complaining our government influences yours. I'm sorry you feel the US gov't has slighted you in some way, but can you blame Americans for not wanting our decisions taken out of our own hands?

Dio, it's not that simple. The U.S. is a major superpower and everything it does afffects other countries in a major way. As an economic power, our trade decisions affect international trade. As a major polluter, our decisions to, say, not sign the Kyoto treaty affects the entire rest of the world. The actions that the U.S. takes in the Mid-East impact the price of oil world-wide. The U.S. has its fingers in the workings of many other governments, not by choice, but by sheer mass. And every move the U.S. makes rocks the world.

The President of the United States is the Emperor of all of Humanity. So influential is that post that more Canadians know who the U.S. President is than their own Prime Minister. So it stands to reason that the rest of the world should begin to wonder exactly why a privileged few, less than 5% of the world population, should be solely responsible for choosing the man in charge of such a post.

History teaches us that the have-nots always bring down the haves. Right now, the U.S. is comprised of haves and the other 95% of the world is the have-nots. When the haves stop taking the have-nots into account and start behaving in a completely self-serving manner, which is exactly what this administration is doing, the have-nots get pissed off. What happens then? Well...the barbarians come over the seventh hill.

In this age of instant communication and rapid travel, the U.S. no longer exists as a discreet entity. Rather, all nations and peoples are interconnected and the actions of one large nation can have profound and direct affects on the lives of billions.

As such, I think it's perfectly reasonable for foreigners to be very concerned about U.S. policy and politics.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
What does Bush have to offer your nation? Stability? Jobs? Healthcare? Education?!!!

in the imortal words of Kylie Minouge ''you should be so lucky, lucky,lucky, lucky....''

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/15/politics/15debt.html

Surely the fiscal way forward.

FirePhoenixnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
I wrote a huge post, and then deleted it. What can I say, whats done is done.

The only good that can come from this is people waking up and voting blair out of the driving seat. Get someone that doesnt want to join the euro and brown-nose America, we'll be fine. So what if the NHS isnt quite so good. So what if they'll change GCSE's to Diplomas. So what if small little changes happen to *everyone* in the country. It's a whole lot better than joining a war that we shouldnt have any place in fighting.

And it's certainly much better than potentially starting a world war.

1,032 posts

Posted:
When I was talking about the states will have a say in that I meant with Cali. The President banned further stem cell research for the government offices. That means the federal government was not going to get any more stem cells. They are allowed to use what they have before that was implemented. The states can do their own funding for it(such as Cali). Unless it is passed that no state can do so, but that must go through the branches and be approved first. Which is kinda scary because yes the Republican party is in pretty much alot of control right now.

When Oklahoma voters went to the polls they were asked not only who they wanted for president, but also should there be a state lotto to generate money for the state, should gay marriage be banned (which it being OK would get more Yes on that issue)(Stupid bible state), and a few other state related issues.

Yes our nation may be doing ok so far during the war, but after a war is over it is normal for it to have a low point. My family saw first hand with Bush's money back to families during tax season. Lot's of people I know had more money coming back to them on tax returns. I did.

One of the things I didn't like about Kerry was what he had done as a soldier. Maybe if he hadn't accused all soldiers of murdering and raping in Vietnam, then I would of probably had my vote more towards him. I don't see it as a wise choice to vote somebody new in office, during a war, especially if they had done the things they did after they had served their tour in the military. That was my big issue when it came to international affairs.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Okay - warning i am probably going to contradict myself in this post - but: on the issue of UK sticking their nose in....

well the guardian newspaper published a request for UK people to write to voters in the swing state of Ohio to request that they vote for Kerry. As expected the response was mixed and quite venomous, and so it should be, who the [censored] are we to meddle in the decisions of individuals we've never even met?? THAT as far as I am concerned was out of order....

However, of course we in the UK are going to be interested in US politics, and of course we can have opinions on it - that's just the way it is in a world of mass media and communications. Did anyone keep their nose out of the politics of Iraq?!? Like hell they did, otherwise we'd have just left Saddam to it - whatever the hell 'it' was or wasn't.... Everything in world politics is so intertwined that decisions anywhere are going to affect something somewhere else, so it's natural that other people should be concerned about what goes on in other countries - and I'm not just talking the US here.... No, we haven't got the citizenship in that country in order to affect any decision, so why on earth does it matter that people from other countries have opinions that they wish to express on the internet? - and why shouldn't they? it's about the only place on this planet that cannot be claimed by any particular nation.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mistress Aurora

Maybe if he hadn't accused all soldiers of murdering and raping in Vietnam...

Where did you get that from??? John Kerry did play a part in highlighting legitimate human rights abuses that were committed in Vietnam by some soldiers - as any good and decent person should do. But he wasn't speaking about all of them.

It's amazing how quickly people have been programmed to jump up and defend the military who are dying when there's a comment against military action. Realise that it's not a personal insult to individual soldiers, but stating that the organisation that tells them what to do is wrong.

For example - remember Tora Bora where OBL was apparently hiding out in a system of super bunkers under the mountains. After the Northern Alliance had let him slip, and the US military had marched through they called in the British Army because of thier experience. By that time it was too late and all teh Brits could do was point out there were no bunkers and OBL had probably just easily wandered through whilst the Northern alliance was busy selling kidnapped people to the US as Al Qaeda soldiers - when Al Qaeda as an organisation didn't actually have an organisted armed force.

Firepoise: well said.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dom.

And Dr Mike - I am no barbarian and I will not be coming over any hill!! (Actually, I used to be told I was quite nice before I became all bitter and twisted smile )

Many Americans believe that it's just 'crazy liberals' who are opposed to Bush... but as I recall onewheeldave saying a few weeks ago, the opposition comes not only from such liberals, but also from intelligent people who have considered both sides of the argument in possession of all the facts.

Aurora, surely you realise that with those tax breaks Bush won your heart at the expense of your conscience? I don't mean for that to be harsh, but stand back from it and look at the situation with perspective. He bought your vote through tax breaks your country cannot afford.

I did not hear of Kerry accusing all soldiers of rape and abuse. But even if he did... can you consider that rape and abuse is prolific during war - this is not just the preserve of the Americans - all countries at war see their soldiers commit human rights abuses and war crimes. Why?! Because they can get away with it in the confusion of war. Also, those soldiers tend to be the poorest, least educated in society (convieniently for government). They are pumped full of adrenaline and testosterone before they get there... so if you can imagine these kids going to war and the situations they must be facing - all war contains rape and abuse. It was certainly no reason to sway your views from Kerry to Bush.

Incidentally, the Guardian action did amuse me. Ok, it backfired, but I believe it was well-intended... and an action that was probably based in desperation... I seem to recall around that time I suggested everyone phone Ohio - I didn't know about the Guardian at the time biggrin

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:

Written by: Firepoise

I don't know what it will take for half of America to wake up to what Bush is doing. Would another couple of planes do it?

Written by: spanner

I think it's more likely to. Bush has made promises along the lines of not letting another 9/11 happen, so if it does, people will be asking why.

eh I reckon the rednecks will be calling for nukes to be deployed against any and all countries not willing to cede to American totalitarianism before beginning to think.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
can anyone say Titor?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Mistress Aurora said
Written by:

On another issue...You don't see Americans getting involved with Austrailian/UK politics do you? So take the hint and be quiet. It is over and done with. Get on with your lives and we will get on with ours.

Well, Mistress Aurora that’s not quite correct now is it. Bush did support Howard (the recently re-elected Australian Liberal PM) and there were other American politicians who warned of the consequences of not voting for Howard.

America is probably the most powerful nation on earth at the moment, and the way America handles issues has huge implications for the rest of us. The fact that such a powerful nation is led by a war mongering idiot is our concern, and the world environment will suffer under his short sighted energy policies.

Since the days of “All the Way” with JBL Australia has followed America, and apart from foolish wars there are also the social consequence of a Bush government. Like they said on TV last night, the election was largely about guns, gays and abortion.

Apparently, a large percentage of voters ranked moral issues higher in order of importance to them as terrorism, the war in Iraq and the economy. And even more significant, of those who ranked moral issues as their number one concern, 80 per cent voted for George Bush. And bear this in mind, it's estimated 25 per cent of the electorate are white Evangelicals or born again Christians. So the consequence of this are we now have the most powerful nation on earth shoving bigoted views on the rest of the world, but that’s okay because they can all have guns to shoot gays or anyone else that doesn’t fit their narrow view of the world.

Hey Dio, one thing that stands out in Iraq is that your soldiers don’t really have a clue, and they are “over there” because they joined the military. What you join the military and not expect to be involved in war? Get real! That was their choice. Personally, I think the media have done a great job trying to make the US military look good with that “very glad we came” angle. And you are right history will be the judge.

frown ubbcrying mad angry

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I love these friendly threads, don't you?

I'm not even gonna start on this one, otherwise I'll end up getting kicked off the forums. biggrin

Let me just say though, the last four years the US people had an excuse for being led down the rocky road to hell by Mr Bush, as they could claim he wasn't fairly elected. It looks like he is now, and they only have themselves to blame.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Haven't been around here in a while but I thought I'd drop by to pay my sympathies to democratic voters and share their emotions.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Let the conspiracy theories begin!!!!

Of the 638 votes cast in a precinct in Ohio, 4258 of them were for Bush!

Blurb of Associated Press article below:

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A computer error with a voting machine cartridge gave President Bush 3,893 extra votes in a Gahanna precinct.

Franklin County's unofficial results gave Bush 4,258 votes to Democratic challenger John Kerry's 260 votes in Precinct 1B. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,032 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Indeed, Miss Aurora, thank you for pointing that out.
It's no wonder I said "third" instead of "second", as my mantra over most of the past week has been "At least he can't be voted in for a third term"

wink That otay!

I see alil more now about how the US affects other countries. Thanks guys smile

Kerry had stated that US forces had committed war crimes. I am not disagreeing with you Dom or Firepoise about war crimes being wrong, or that they never happen. I am simply saying it was wrong for Kerry to accuse all US Forces and their soldiers of committing war crimes. This resulted in vets coming home and being spit on by their home country and seen as animals and criminals when not all of them had done wrong.

I also don't understand why Kerry would throw away his ribbons in protest and doesn't throw away his medals?<--(really am curious about it)

I also understand that some of Bush's supporters are born again Christians and I don't agree with what they want. There are a few of us who don't agree with Bush's religious decisions, but we wanted Bush to be re-elected for personal reasons. I just don't want everybody here on HoP to see me as one of those "born again" people. That is not the basis of my decision. I wish it wasn't the basis for others decisions either. Like I said I understand how yall feel and I do respect yall and love yall. Please don't think I fall into the catagory of "religion is the only way", because I'm opposed to religious decisions. But every polition has some sort of decision they base of their own personal religious beliefs. That's why I don't vote for people based on their religious decision making(because that always occurs), but on other issues.

coleman that clothing tag is quite humerous. Is the company established in FL? wink ubblol

hug <--for everybody because I still ubblove yall and hope yall don't have grudges towards anybody or any of their oppinions. I don't hug

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Things that bring me hope follow.

A letter from Jacques Chirac to newly-reelected President Bush
"On behalf of France, and on my personal behalf, I would like to express to you my most sincere congratulations for your re-election to the presidency of the United States of America. I hope that your second term will provide an opportunity to reinforce the Franco-American friendship."

"It's in the spirit of dialogue, of mutual esteem and respect that our cooperation, our common fight against terrorism and the actions we are leading together to promote liberty and democracy must continue to develop."

"We can only find satisfactory solutions to the numerous challenges with which we are confronted today through a close transatlantic partnership. I'm convinced that together, we can achieve this."

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder Wednesday congratulated George W. Bush on his re-election as US president
"I wish you good fortune and success for the years ahead," the German leader wrote in a message sent to Bush Wednesday evening.

He added, "As you enter your second term the world faces great challenges: international terrorism, the threat of the spread of weapons of mass destruction, regional crises. Also, poverty, environmental changes and epidemics threaten our security and stability."

He concluded, "Good cooperation will remain the cornerstone of US-German relations."

Kerry concedes officially to Bush on Nov 3
Kerry said he had a "good conversation" with Bush over the phone earlier Wednesday as he conceded the race.

"We talked about the danger of division in our country and the desperate need to find unity in our country," Kerry said.

"In the days ahead, we must find common cause, we must join in a common effort, without remorse or recrimination, without anger or rancor. America is in need of unity and a larger measure of compassion," he continued, adding that he hopes Bush will pursue that unity in the coming years and vowing to do his part to bridge the partisan divide.

What do these mean to Dio?
I would like to say thank you to these three individuals for making the first significant offers of cooperation and goodwill in these troubled times. I honestly hope that every wish laid out in these excerpts will come true - a unified America, and a world where America is viewed with respect and treats others in kind. smile

Some might see this as political blustering that is almost knee-jerk in international/domestic diplomacy, others might see it as grudging acceptance. I see a chance for a brighter future, and I hope I'm not the only one here. Bush can't help but know he has some bridges to repair with others at home and abroad, and in the next 4 years I'm choosing to take an optimistic outlook that things will turn for the better. Don't know why, but I just feel like it's coming.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't see it, Dio. In the last four years, the Bush Administration has made it quite clear: DISSENT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

A very good friend of mine is a research scientist in hematology. He was tapped in a search for a position in the National Academy of Sciences. One question he was asked in the interview was "Who did you vote for?"

He didn't answer, of course. He also did not get a follow-up interview. He did some investigation among some other candidates and found that EVERY SINGLE ONE who had not been picked for follow-up interviews had answered either "Gore" or refused to answer.

The stories abound about this. Bush does not tolerate dissent. There is a word for a leader who does not tolerate dissent:

"tyrant."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Kerry Won - or at least would have if the minority voice were properly represented...

https://www.tompaine.com/articles/kerry_won_.php

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Markoosnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I think that if the last few years r anything to go by he wants to be the man who bought democracy to the middle east so in short its only gonna get worse and we're all screwed the guy needs help

The one the only the legendary KOOS!

Page: