Forums > Other Toys > Huge meteor thread, anyone?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FirePhoenixnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm certain there are more than a few meteorists around this place - some of which are probably quite good. That being said, all the information is scattered all over the place.

I think it'd be a cool idea if everyone puts down something they want to say about meteors - tips on making them, tips on starting out, tips on hand positions from different kinds of moves - whatever!

I'm fairly new to it all and I cant quite get the 3beat weave down... I can do 2 going forwards and 4 in reverse! Any tips on how to get the third? Hitting myself in the face/nuts every other time is starting to wear thin tongue

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Hi lindalinda...

It's always nice to meet a new meteorist (they call us crazy, but we'll show them! Mwahahahaha! Haha! Ha.).

For good videos, there are a few gems on youtube. After a minute or so of near-random searching (and half an hour of watching) I found this playlist, some awesome stuff on there.

Where abouts in China did you learn? Were the lessons circus-based or martial arts-based?

Kupo!

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
Hi! Thank you, I´ll check it out soon smile
I was in Beijing and the class was circus/acro based, I´m also circus based wink

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
where did all the meteor people go? frown
I need more inspiration help me!!!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, look at poi and staff moves and see what you can use from there. I am sure new stuff will come up at some stage....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
thanks, I guess thats a good idea.
I havent done so much poi and I´m very stuck on the trad. chinese style of meteors. Trying to find new ways..

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
If you are looking for something new to try out with meteors, there's a series of youtube videos with Chris Bailey (Rovo) demonstrating several concepts he's developed with double meteors. Double meteor is sick fun! He brings in a lot of inspiration from different toys that goes beyond traditional Chinese meteor.

If I can find the link again, I'll tag in in here.

the videos are from Rovo's workshop at FireDrums 09. They were posted up on this person's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/donteatgrandma

EDITED_BY: squid (1244258098)
EDIT_REASON: found the link

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Pretty interesting videos - does anyone have the video of the guy doing contact meteor? I think it was set under a road bridge.

Kupo!

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
@ jarle" The guy was Dmenza from Paris - amazing person - here is the link
[Old link]

@ squid: Thx for the link - truly inspiring. Unfortunately I missed his double workshop and fortunately someone had a camera :))

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ah, thanks for that Analemma. Now I have many more distractions from my exam study! Yay!

Kupo!

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
Thank you this was interesting!

this is me training (the girl not the guy with beard wink )

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Lindalinda, did you pick up those meteors in China? The bowls look very heavy. Im super impressed with the simplicity of some of those combos. It kind of gives me some inspiration for some new avenues to explore.

Im still working on getting smoother on the horizontal rotors so that I can improve those bounces.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
Yes they are from china, rubber bowls so they don´t hurt as much as my fire meteors (when they smack me in my face) tongue2

They are.. quite heavy.. I think it´s easier that way, at least the trad. things. Let´s see how it works with some new things!

Thanks everyone for inspiration!!!

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Wow, damn fantastic video! It's a pity I'm stuck in poi mode at the moment, I need to practise my throws more often. I especially loved the somersaults - I'll have to keep an eye out for the bowl meteors as well, they look awesome!

Who was the other guy? I'm pretty sure I saw him in Brisbane, Australia last year.

Kupo!

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
Thank´s!! grin

Emil? I´m sure he would love to go to Australia but I don´t think he has ever been there.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I just posted a rather lengthy article having to do with different variations of weaves with meteor. Check it out here:

[Old link]

(I would have just posted it into this thread but it was three pages long when I typed it up in word, and didn't want to just throw a ton of text into this thread without warning.)

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Short video demonstrating a little move I came across.

Meteor Knot

Peace, Love, Circles

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
hehe looks like a new kind of sport! smile

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I was telling Chris on Tribe that it reminds me of Rob's old spinach session vids and the work on negative space.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Ahh yes... Robs poi tied in a bow. That was a fun trick to learn, more reasons to get counterweights...

hug

Friendly Firestranger
15 posts

Posted:
You should check out Friendly Fires newest creation.
Fibre Optic Meteor Poi.
https://www.thefriendlyfirestore.com/LED-Poi.html

*The Friendly Fire Store*

fdskjalfSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I have a question about fire meteor. I just ordered HOP 90mm monkey fist poi, and I'm planning to use the heads also in a meteor. I've two designs in mind for the rope in between and I'd like an opinion on them.

First one is to put about a metre of Kevlar rope (knotted securely to quicklinks) between the normal oval link poi chains. On the other hand I'd like to have the full length as rope (for smoothness), knotted to swivels and connected with quicklinks to heads. Would the flames be too much for the rope and if would, could I perhaps coat the rope with something, or should I just go with the chains?

snappdragonEldar: the warrior who fights with fire.
3 posts

Posted:
If you love the traditional Chinese meteor. Look into the puppy hammer. Aka phi hammer or meteor hammer. Its much closer to there traditional weapon.

imnotanewbSILVER Member
newby meteor, staff and poi spinner.
2 posts

Posted:
im fairly new to poi and meteors (less than a week), but have been doing staff through various martial arts for years.

i made my own meteors from a length of climbing rope (9 mm thickness)(its a rather long set, 6 foot 6 inches between heads)(its longer than i am tall by almost a foot.) the whole rope was about 11 feet long before I tied monkeys fists in each end.

there is a really good tutorial on how to tie a monkeys fist here.

https://www.animatedknots.com/monkeysfist/index.php

tieing the second one is a little challenging, as you have to pass the first monkeys fist through it several times, but it works, and looks really good now.
EDITED_BY: imnotanewb (1335983603)

Page: