Forums > Technical Discussion > For all you digital camera users........

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
...........What is the best camera you have used to take stunning poi photos in daytime, nightime and firetime?

answers on a postcard. smile

p.s. i did a durbs and came up with nothing.... eek

Gayle.....!

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
BOYS!

Stop arguing.

Back to DIGITAL CAMERAS - any more for any more????

Gayle.....!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i had a look at the cams this morning, and the only problem i can see is that the sony cam uses a specific sony memeory

not much of a problem, but can be costly cos of only a few cams and hardware models taht use it

try and look for ones that might use more common memory types, like compact flash, SDmemory

and such

but the list is looking strong

also have you thought about body strength, ie will it take a few bocks and bangs without breaking?

Step (el-nombrie)

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Darkpoet & Mech - I'd like to see you both after class please.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I'll keep this short, to be honest most of my work is black and white, which is self processed, own studio, dark room etc, so i have a major preference for film in most respects over digitial, unless i've missed it somewhere, you might wish to consider the second user market,

I use two digital's which are technically slr(s), although using non removable lense technology, these are olympus E10 and E20, 4 and 5 million pixel respectively, good solid build quality, all metal casting etc, optical through the lense viewfinder as well as back panel lcd, take smart media and compact flash, these and some sony f700 + 707s i think, use a type of dual focus well suited to the kinds of diverse lighting conditions encountered when photographing fire arts, a complete range of advanced program modes and full manual, very intuitive camera, check www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse10/20 for in depth reviews,

Typically the E10 is available in your price range within the second user market, most serious problem i've encountered with it is the relatively short battery life, and the the use of olympus's dedicated flash system, although you can use other external flash guns as well as studio flash, i use four sets of 2300 ma numbered nm-hydride perform well enough,

hope this is of some help

mark

IzteSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
By the way, be careful, because if some parrafin gets on your camera - farewell... It can seriously damage it. I had some experiences.

Intergalactic Parade

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I think that the family have bought me the Canon ixus 500. Don't know for certain and won't know officially until Christmas but this was the one i liked best whilst playing with them in the camera shop.

Gayle.....!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
ok, in the similar line of previous questioning, would a Sony Cybershot DSC-P73S be any good, you think?

Any other suggestions at about that price range, give or take 100 aussie dollars, for a decent fire piccy/general use camera would rock.

100 AUD = 77 USD
100 AUD = 40 GBP
100 AUD = 56 EUR

for a rough guide smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
how do you get a good shot when spinning wire wool as i dont have a shutter speed selecter so i cant get the exposer time!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
i have a nikon coolpix 3200... crap name but a good camera... If you have a look at my gallery... all the glow photos are taken with it.. it is limited to being an automatic point and shoot with the usual variables of changing flash settings to increase the exposure time...

A lovely trick is to set the camera on night time with flash... you end up with visuals of the person then trails after...

some autos have fire work settings or bulb.... both will give you longer exp... but watch out you dont go on for too long...

kev

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
MiG - the sony looks pretty good for a camera

if you like it go for it

minimaniac - im not sure, look for somthing like an ev -/+ control in teh menu of the camear maybe?

failing that someone in falmouth might be able to help in a couple of months!

Step (el-nombrie)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I got the sony, and i've fallen in love with it smile

all the new years eve pics on my site were taken using it, and thats on the second lowest resolution (1MP) The traily ones were 5 seconds exposure, the others were 1/400.

The great thing is that it has an ev+/- counter (+2 - -2) so you can set roughly how bright it will end up. and it also has on screen histogram, so you can pretty much tell how bright it will be anyway.

/me stops plugging for sony now...

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
just ordered myself an early birthday present: canon eos 350d biggrin

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i will not dis-agree that the 350d does cover some of the faults that the 300 has,

my i love my 300d shite loads, and would not trade it in! smile

looking forwards to seeing some of your shots flid.

Step (el-nombrie)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
300d was my original choice a few months ago, but then i heard the 350d was being released, so decided to wait. Just as well, this way i saved up and can buy it without using credit smile

I used to do lots of B&W when I was younger and had access to a dark room using a fully manual Pentax K1000. I had to ditch it when I turned vegan 5 years ago (film contains geletine) and have been waiting since for consumer grade digital photography to catch up with film since. Hopefully we're there now smile

One of the main uses for it will be astrophotography, i've already seen some other's shots using it and it is rather impressive.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
So Gayle did you get your camera? smile

I just wanted to say, often (if your buying a vid cam) that the type of system (computer) you are using may effect what type of cam you can get! Not sure if you just want a cam for pictures though shrug But iv had problems with compatabilty. I lent a camera off a friend and it was NOT compatiable with my computer frown Which led me to believe that sony are crap... ill stick with company's who originally started out making camera(s) ie : Cannon

So yea before you pay make sure that if its not compatiable, that you can take it back wink

I do believe film makes much better quality pictures. But the cost is not really worth it for negatives when you can just keep shooting with a dig cam and delete all the crappy shots.

I just brought a Cannon mv830i smile cheap(ish), easy, and best of all compatiable. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Dr4g0n7 (1115520528)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

just ordered myself an early birthday present: canon eos 350d biggrin

Excellent news flid!! Congratulations. I've got a 20D and love it to bits biggrin

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I've never found sony's compatibility to be a problem, apart from the fact that sony uses sony memory sticks, and i wouldn't stick a generic card in my camera. Other than that, its worked everywhere i've tried it, from win98se right through to win2k3 server, and not had any problems.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump* eggsactly having the issue right now: Looking for a camera, but all the models that are mentioned in the other threads are *checks* at least 2 years old.

I am pondering upon an EOS 400 - but a few things scare me:

1) Canon is making a cash back promotion, meaning that they might try to get rid of their old stock and ppl are waiting for them to give birth for an EOS 40 for about a year already

2) friend of mine told me that 10 Megapix on such small chip result in frequent pixel errors (when blowing up the image)

3) another friend, working in a picture agency tells me "nothing under 11 Megapix"

4) the chip adds the factor 1.6 on all my lenses - meaning that the 70 - 200 suddenly becomes a 100 - 300 (without image stabilizer and under difficult light, it might become a real challenge)

Anybody got some more input? Please...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
those questions will vary significantly depending on how you intend to use your camera: closeups? fire? quick action? happy with no video? need stabilization?

ry is a good person to ask this advice.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I own a 400D and I can honestly say I'm delighted with it. There's a good range of shots I took with it here. The stock lens is a good start, but I really want a new fixed focus 50mm with a low F number to get some better shots (it's hard to get pictures indoors unless everyone's holding very still and you have a tripod handy)...

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Canon or Nikon all the way for digital SLR less than £1,500
Wanted a 400d for a long time, 350d before that, EOS range is absolutely superb.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yes I'm happy without video ubbcrying Mainly because I do have a whole range of glass that I won't let go of and most of it has 2.8.... hence the long lenses >100 (under difficult light) would be a challenge without IS ... I do understand, Video and SLR ain't easy (even though there usually is a "bulb" option) - so I do have to make compromises.

Just: How much of a compromise do I have to make?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

k8etSILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
Slight tangent - anyone find a decent digital video camera for fire poi night shots? i've been pondering getting one, but can't spend more than us$300 ($400 with accessories MAX)

thanks ;o)

aka hunnybear in burning man circles
avatar: hunnybear - nj - 06/16/07 (c) abjectphoto

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
^^ look for a colour slow shutter with low noise if u like fire shots smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: