Forums > Technical Discussion > For all you digital camera users........

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
...........What is the best camera you have used to take stunning poi photos in daytime, nightime and firetime?

answers on a postcard. smile

p.s. i did a durbs and came up with nothing.... eek

Gayle.....!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

there is only two probs that i see with this guys

1) ITS AMERICAN!

2) if your not a techie, you might now get what some of the fields are talking about or reffer to, and this can cause probs.
like chips, if you chose the wrong chip in teh price range, then you restrict youself and get bias results

jeebus...you REALLY need to work on your grammar....
and you can find out all the info you want as well as good deals at B&H Photo
huge selection and specs...and what it comes down to..is are you buying a digi only for taking fire pix?? or one that you can use for years and years to come?

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i have worked from the point of view on years to come, as all the cams, and topics i have covered are based on years to come point of view

and darkport

im very badly dyslexic, so please dont say things like that until you are sure of all the circumstances, thank you

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Never figure that mech, good to know before i make a purchase. Could you give us the lowdown on the tech stuff?

I was going on the Canon 300v SLR i bought from B&H (if you like cameras, go this this shop, its like disneyland), which really didnt vary much from the european version apart from the name in a way that would limit potential.

Its what we used for some of the better pics in the gallery (it helped that my friend new his way around a camera.)

Definatly thinking about upgrading to digital at some stage, will keep a close eye here.

Thanks for the advice.

a

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
canon 300v

its a rather nice camera, its a film slr, so it dont really belong here for teh digital discussion, but i thinkthe simple function menus, and fast returns, are well worth a mention

REALLY GOOD deal on canon eos 300d

with £100 cash back from canon, you could be looking at a 300d for around 699 now thats a blody good price, plus with a free fast access 256 card, you cant go far wrong, AND its got the battery grip, amking it last longer! HOW GOOD CAN YOU GET!

this cam, will teach you as you go, as will most of the canon cammeras, there is a wide range of levels and setting i dont use on my cammera, but im learning more and more each time i use it

if you are changing to digital, i would still kepp your film slr, due to there are just somethings that will look better in real film, and real film is just nicer to use sometimes......

like black and white film quality is much better than pc b&w...and theer is a large range of films, and diff film types to use, like double neg film (i cant remeber the real name)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i love pics

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ooohh sweeetttt cam.

There is a million things i dont know about my cam yet. Would dearly love that 300d though.

sweetness

thanks mech

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
the good thing with the 300d is that, you dont have to waste moeny of film to learn

its charge the battery and shoot aways and learn as you go

no cost if you get a bum shot then you just delete it and change the settings

i LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE my 300d

and so does narr my lady, she has teh 300v film slr, and hates me cos i went out and bought the 300d the day after she bought her 300v and really wnated a 300d biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yes, now i hate you too smile

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
everyone hates me its what i do!

i wish i could show you some of teh really PHAT pics i have taken with my cam

have you seen the fire rope pics of hels?

the fire skid pic

ill go to the gallery and get some links biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
just to make you areally hate me

here are some of the pics (well cropped and maybe altered a lil), i have taken with my 300d

i always take loads to many pics, and thus dont upload a lot of thema, and so have a huge catalouge of pics.... :S

Helsbells with ropes (a rather nice pic)

my soton-firespnning.co.uk gallery

laterday.co.uk (my site) with loads of my pics of me on it)

All the pics i posted from my trip to Australia a couple of months ago

one sophie took of me

a nice flowers pic

the only prob i have found is that there are not many pics of me that are good looking

i have thousands of other ppl, its bloody annoying, but when it comes to wnating pics of me, i have to rely on other, and i never quite get what i want

The vid i made (it uses some of my pics from a NIPP party in london) very nice IMHO

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
I've been looking into this myself recently and my current fav is the fujifilm s7000 zoom.

It costs around 300 quid (but you need to get a devent memory card because the one it comes with sux). It has 6 megapixels, 6xoptical and 3.2 digital zoom. and the vids are meant to be amazing, 640*320 30 frames a sec and you take them until you've filled up your memory card.

It also has most of the manual features so you can change shutter speed -1/1000th of a sec to 15, aperture etc etc. Thinking about ordering it today actually smile

ps the review on dp cameras was takedn with a faulty lens but there was positive feedback on lots of forums for it. and there is something i don't understand about how to up the megapixels to 12 million when you print
EDITED_BY: Y.T. (1100173679)

Ninjas NEVER give up!

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Thanks Y.T - i'll have a look at that and add it to my growing list if it's any good!

Gayle.....!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:

and darkport

im very badly dyslexic, so please dont say things like that until you are sure of all the circumstances, thank you

ok?? ive got severe adhd...like...its bad enough to be like low level autism...im a VERY firm believer that you can overcome anything in your body...and you cant use dyslexia as an excuse...dyslexia only effects spelling not grammar...what i said was...you need to work on your grammar...thats regardless of if your a stroke victim, dyslexic, or english isnt your first language...just sayin you need to work on it...
<-brutally honest...its a bad habit...just tryin to help..

prizes

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
without trying to be hugly condisending to you,

dyslexia can affect many parts of language for that person,

it can affect letters, shapes, GRAMMAR, numbers, words, and pictures

thankyou!

Step (el-nombrie)

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
cool...you learn somethin new every day....thought it only affected spelling/writing/reading...

prizes

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
no, ot can affect much more

the most common thing ppl know about it is b d p and q, but it can afffect things all over the place, making senteces hard to re, and thus harder to check for mistakes, including grammar, as words can jump round that page

andyways bristol, any more choices yet

Step (el-nombrie)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ditto

What Mech said..... hence I cannot read out loud. I too am dyslexic.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I've been looking into this myself recently and my current fav is the fujifilm s7000 zoom.

actually thats a sweet camera. the only bad thing about it is the manual zoom is either non-existent or kinda iffy, dont remeber exactly. somebody had it at a kent weekend, and they are generally fuzzy memories......

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
why dont you just get a film camera..and then when you get your film developed (im assuming your not doing it yourself) just get the pictures on cd...it saves the hassle of a digital camera since camera quality has been rising exponentially of late...one day youll have the top of the line D100 and the next that same camera will be 400$ cheaper...get a film camera...film has a MUCH higher quality than digital...and just a guess but it will probably take bout 10 years more before digital excedes film quality..but yeah...get a film camera..save urself some hassel..film cameras=cheaper..and if you know what your doing..can be alot more fun

prizes

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Film is completely against what i'm trying to do. I have a great film camera which i will keep but the cost of developing 40 photos at a time is ridiculous compared to the digital pics where i can pick the good ones and get them developed instead of getting 75% of photots off of a film and wasting 25% which is money going down the drain seeing as i take maybe 20/40 pictures a month.

Gayle.....!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
darkpoet

i knwo you are only giving an opinion, but are you not reading this thread, everything you have dontaed, has eitherbeen critism on a personal level, cameras that are well out of range, and now you are talking about film cams, not digital cams

i knwo what you are saying and to some extent i do agree, but saying that the quality is not as good as film, then how come most papers now use digital, how come most professional photographers use digital, and how come with the new advancments on the ccd chips they are more accurate and effective shooting machines than a film cam?

also as bristol poi says you will withouttrying normally waste half a film, and thus waste money...click shoot and delete if you dont like it

fast turn overand effective

or i agree that printing digital pics at home if a bit of a faulse economy, but still, if you getthe right shop to do it you can get great digital prints for 12p each!

not to bed, cheeper than film

i think you should re-read the thread and actually take in what we are all saying

bristol: have you thoughtanymore as to what you are going to get?

i saw a loverly cam a couple fo week back, but it was around 400-500 and i think thats above what you wnat no?

thankyou

Step (el-nombrie)

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I think i can get between £300-£350. I'm quite liking the Pentax and the Sony. The list so far is:

Kodak DX7630
Canon Powershot S60
Sony DSC-P150
Olympus CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom
Nikon Coolpix 4800
Nikon Coolpix 5400
Pentax Optio SV
Fuji S5500 Zoom
Minolta Dimage Z3
Casio EXILIM PRO EX-P600

Thanks Mech - you're a star.

Gayle.....!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
this afternoon, ill go through those and post links back.

ill also hopefully check the specsland let you know whet I think but ultimately its down to you; still say you should get a hold of these cam's, as they are a large investment for anyone, and you should love the one you buy.

the Kodak you have chosen? is that one of the range that uses the docking station?

will you be looking to buy are if it is? if so Dixons have got a Camera in that range for 150 and a free dock worth 150 to boot!!!

Step (el-nombrie)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
My dad just got that very Kodak/docking station m'larky.

He's in his 60s, and is totally against all manner of technology, but this is simple to use, very convenient and there's a 2 for 1 offer on for the printer paper at the minute as well.

The camera takes great pics - it's not professional quality, but it's good enough for your average happy snapper.

Apparently they've been selling really fast, so get in there soon if you want one biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
see I told you it was a good idea

Step (el-nombrie)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
The one on the Dixons offer is a CX range not a DX range which is what i was looking at. Don't know if they will modify the deal???

Gayle.....!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
You can but ask biggrin (sweetly and with a big smile on your face, lol)

CavedudeBRONZE Member
stranger
29 posts

Posted:
I just usually carry around my Nikon D-70 with a 28-70mm F2.8 with me

Great for taking fire pictures in the total dark smile

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:

darkpoet

then how come most papers now use digital,
how come most professional photographers use digital

digital saves money on film, and if you dont get your shot right the first time, you can delete it and try again

files are the modern media for transporting data...ie. images

and most professional photographers use medium format film on final product because they know how to take the shot in the first place..as well as having a digital camera to see what the shot will look like before it is put on film

remember that if you use digital you are at a rather high risk of loosing your files (archives) of what you shoot and when

film provides a physical medium for archival, and cannot be erased so easily

before you try and take a personal stab at me think a bit about what you say....

a camera is a precision instrument..and to buy one you should not only be well informed...but you need to realize that your making an investment..a good camera will last for 30 years or more...and if its not decent quality..your just wasting money...

and on a final note...sarcasm is a form of constructive criticism...these boards arent the place to start a petty arguement so it ends here...

prizes

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
there was no personal stab inteneded, i wasjuststating that although i do agree iwth what you are saying...

you are not following the line of this thread, so far all the way through it has discussed digital camera, and digital useage, and it seem you are bent on shouting about the values of film.

no one is agruing this with you, no one is saying film is not a good idea, no one is saying film is a waste of time!

i am saying your input here is not on teh right lines, i do agree with you on most points, and i still use a film camera myslef, as i find sone of the image quality better

but when bristol poi is looking for a DIGITAL CAMERA in a certain price range then i think it best that you help, but either recomending a cam withon her price range, or talking about something relevent to the thread not trying to hype the cam you have to here when she has clearly stated she is not after a film cam.

and if we are talking about personal attacks, was it not you who started them with a comment on my grammer?

im not tryingto be grumpy or sour with you, im just stating that you are off topic on more than one occasion

i am no country lad, i knwo what im talking about, or i wouldnt have ppl asking me about camera to buy and things to look at at work and at home would i?

lets end this, i knwo this sounds like im trying to havethe last say, but i just dont like you!

Step (el-nombrie)

Page: