Forums > Technical Discussion > For all you digital camera users........

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
...........What is the best camera you have used to take stunning poi photos in daytime, nightime and firetime?

answers on a postcard. smile

p.s. i did a durbs and came up with nothing.... eek

Gayle.....!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
you didn't Durb very well though...

[Old link]
[Old link] (Compares digital & SLRs)
[Old link]

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Sorry oh masterful one wink

Found a few recommended in there.

Gayle.....!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No problem

£2.50 please biggrin

(£1 for the Durb service and 50p per result given)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Durbing for money! ? ! Isn't that prostituting your nobleness?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
You're quite cheap. Do you take switch or only American Express?

Gayle.....!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Anything but PayPal smile

Skullers - "Cheap" is my middle name (Along with "Danger", "Sex-God", and Jonathan)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
so your full name

paul danger sex god jonathan durbs?

how do you fit all that in the boxes on officail forms?

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No - Paul Danger, Cheap Sex-God Jonathan Durbs smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i think you name should be

PAUL isa SEX DANGER nota GOD JONATHAN DURBS

Step (el-nombrie)

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
(Happy birthday Bristolpoi)

And I use a really cheap digital camera but get some decent pics by using it at night with the flash off... it automatically takes a longer exposure. But yeah do a durbs.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
so you looking for a good digital camera?? or just quizzing people??
if your looking to buy tell me your budget i can get you the most for your money...

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
What i want to know is:

What cameras do people use?? - i.e. has somebody else done all the leg work and found a small digital camera which takes good daytime photos and good photos in the dark has settings to slow/quicken shutter speed is easy to load piccys onto computer and has tons and tons of megapixels for about £300 i suppose?? just on the off chance you know!

My family all want to chip in and buy me one for xmas so i was asking people that take fire/glo photos which cameras they have and use and would recommend so i can research them and see if they have the gagdets i'm looking for and then hopfully get one from Santa.

Gayle.....!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

you didn't Durb very well though...

[Old link]
[Old link] (Compares digital & SLRs)
[Old link]

smile

these threads will answer all your above question bristol poi

we have all done the legwork many times now, i have a eos 300D, about a grands worth of camera, and ita lovelry, you can get just as good pics with a 150 cammera from dixons for example

its all down to you

go into somewehere like jessops where they have a large range of cammera in your price ranange, and see which ones you like and get it!

you wil lnot have to worry touch about lenses, setting and such, tehy are pretty much all teh same, and pretty good,

you will only have to get use to the seetings of you cam, and then you will be done!

Step (el-nombrie)

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
And make sure you can take slow-exposure photos, if you wanna take decent fire pics.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

you wil lnot have to worry touch about lenses, setting and such, tehy are pretty much all teh same, and pretty good,

hate to break it to you but this is where you are terribly wrong
different formats of camera lead to vastly different results
lenses DO matter quite a bit
you want a fast lens with a very large f-stop to do fire shots
same thing with cameras...each is different and the differences DO matter...
personally...i would say to get a nikon d100 or a d70....cannon cameras are good, but they change the lens mount every 3 years or so...as in..the lenses you buy for a cannon camera today...3 years from now if you buy another lens for your camera it wont fit...youd have to replace your mount..and thats a rather expensive pain in the butt

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
are these SLR's though? Don't think my families budget will strecth to a SLR. I just want a samll compact thing with a zoom if such things are made. with a setting for the shutter speed and things like that. Do you know any like that?

Gayle.....!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I think most cheaper ones have zoom and the ability to change the shutter speed these days. I'd get as much optical zoom on the camera that your family is willing to pay for. It really does make a difference in how close up you can get and how clear your photos are. All cameras will have a digital zoom as well, but using that feature makes the photo more blurry and not as crisp.

I've got a 4 megapixel Canon A80 which I really like. It takes fire pics really well on one of its automatic settings - the night one. It takes up to a 3 minute video with sound. Does an amazingly well job of taking fire video in my opinion.

Cameras do vary greatly in their video taking abilities. Some will only take short up to 15 second videos, some like mine will take a video up to 3 minutes in length. Some will include sound, some won't. I personally like the sound ability because a vid without it just looks strange to me. Another thing to consider is what sort of media does the camera save it's pics on, as well as what type of battery does it use. Some use the standard flash cards, some use more proprietary cards such as Sony. Some cameras use standard AA batteries while others make their own rechargable kind. Having a camera that uses AA batteries is nice because if you ever get stuck somewhere and your batteries die, you can usually find AA ones to replace them with. Having a proprietary kind is usually much more difficult to locate.

Basically, I'd say go to a camera shop and test drive a bunch of them. Look for how they feel in your hand as well as how easy it is to move the buttons.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I like vids without sound. I can only take 15 sec ones and they're a lot of fun as if you have a decent sized memory card you can take loads of little vids then edit them together and put music to them.

Although the spinning never matches the music, which is pretty crud.

And the resolution is shocking.

I much prefer still photography.. a good still photo says a lot more to me. Different within the poi world though. I'll shut up.

Thoreau

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: darkpoet

Written by: mech

You will not have to worry touch about lenses, setting and such; they are pretty much all the same, and pretty good,

Hate to break it to you but this is where you are terribly wrong
Different formats of camera lead to vastly different results
Lenses DO matter quite a bit
You want a fast lens with a very large f-stop to do fire shots
Same thing with cameras...each is different and the differences DO matter...
Personally...I would say to get a Nikon d100 or a d70.... cannon cameras are good, but they change the lens mount every 3 years or so...as in.the lenses you buy for a cannon camera today...3 years from now if you buy another lens for your camera it wont fit...youd have to replace your mount.and thats a rather expensive pain in the butt

I should have made myself clearer I guess

What I was trying to say, is unless you are going for an slur, lenses in the lower band price range are all equal

If you are looking for lens quality, then I would say use a slr with interchangeable lens, for that very reason, if you are going to spend 150-200 there is little diff in lens quality, although I would still go with a canon or Nikon due to preferred lens tech.

What I would say also is that you would be looking for a good optical zoom, over a digital zoon, optical zooms are better as they are using the real optics of the lens, not the card of the camera

Also if you were to buy a digital camera from the middle range of cams 150+ I would say look at something that uses a custom rechargeable battery lithium ion battery

Digital cams, eat AA and AAA batts for breakie, and the lithium ion battery packs work best for them, and save you moeney in the long run.

Most of the cameras around now will take extended shots; I have a fondness for the kadak range of the cams that use docking stations (I forget their model numbers), but they are quiet nice, do the job well, and have a range of features and if you drop on you can get a good one for cheep.

Bristolpoi – don’t go for a slr as yoru first digital cam, they are expensive, and although amazing cameras, for most normal shots they can be matched by a standard 150 compact camera. (yes I know this last statement is an open on, I personally have an eos 300d, and buy only certain brands of camera, and lens, its all down to what you know, and what you need to know)

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
from thsi page on to what ever price ceeling you have

and that should about cover you

dont go for an slr, get something you love to use, and really like

you should try to have this for a while, dont get it take 50 shots then bung it in the draw cos it dont do it exactky right

go to jessops or a cammera shop, and hold some cammera, see what they can do talk to the guy about exteneded exposures, as most of them are software based extensions, meaning you use the software menu on eth cammera to extend the lens open time, they are all pretty much teh same

hope you find what you are after

Step (el-nombrie)

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
they also make AA rechargable batteries these days (NiMH ones) that last much longer in your camera than the standard AA type. The good thing about these is that they are rechargable as well, so you don't have to worry about ditching them. They are only about twice as expensive as the regular kind, but they last soooo much longer.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
this is true, but its always the way that you buy 4 and then lose one, or you can never remeber which ones are charged..

i use rechargables in a lot of teh school camms, cos its just easier

but you are right sprite, if you wanna use rechagable batts there are some good ones around

maybe stick with uniross batts, as they seem to be the best i have found?

Step (el-nombrie)

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Thank you people - i shall have a mooch around. I like the canon ixus - always have but haven't actually looked into it yet. I also like the sony ones but again i haven't sat down with the specs and compared yet as the specification stuff scares me i don't know what it all means. But by the sound of it i want the most optical zoom, the most pixels but not the muplitplyed fancy pixels which i can't remember the name for. Also lithium batteries are better.

Gayle.....!

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm just gonna put in a good word for Olympus - mine's never done wrong by me.

Thoreau

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
ok i use the minolta dimage a1

have a look at me gallery for the kinda pics i can take with it.

its not exactly cheap, or very simple to use, but its the best camera ive ever owned and im not gonna complain about it.

you can do manual zoom during exposure, as much as you want, and take continuous (depends how big ur flashcard is, mine is 1 gig, and i can take 15 minutes) vids with sound.

the only negative thing about it is that you cant change the lens, but i have found that the wideangle lens it comes with is more than enough....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I've looked at Canon powershot S60, the Sony DSCP150, the Olympus Camedia C50Zoom, the Nikon Coolpix 4800 and the Pentax Optio SV. At the moment the Canon and the Pentax are leading the field.

Gayle.....!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: BristolPoi

I've looked at Canon powershot S60, the Sony DSCP150, the Olympus Camedia C50Zoom, the Nikon Coolpix 4800 and the Pentax Optio SV. At the moment the Canon and the Pentax are leading the field.

so for every one thats the

Canon Powershot S60

Sony CYBER-SHOT DSC-P150

CAMEDIA C-50 ZOOM KIT (WITH CASE AND 64MB CARD)

COOLPIX 4800 DIGITAL CAMERA

but i coulddnt find the exact one for the Pentax Optio SV

sorry

so any suggestions ppl

i will have a goose at them in a min once i have gotten on with some jobs, and get back on this ok

Step (el-nombrie)

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
you should try this wizard.

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
damn

I was just about to post the EXACT SAME THING

wierd

ubblol

here it is anyway

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
there is only two probs that i see with this guys

1) ITS AMERICAN!

2) if your not a techie, you might now get what some of the fields are talking about or reffer to, and this can cause probs.
like chips, if you chose the wrong chip in teh price range, then you restrict youself and get bias results

Step (el-nombrie)

Page: