Forums > Social Chat > Performance help please

Login/Join to Participate

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
Please please help me!

my best friend is getting married on dec 4th, and he's asked to put on a performance for him at the evening do. I think he wants some kind of big finale, with fireworks and all. i've even been given a budget.

this terrifies me!!!

i've never done anything like this before. i went to the 2 falmouth meets and didn't spin, my skills are low (and so's my confidence). i said yes to him 'coz he's my best friend.

any help and suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated!

I only wanted to be 16... and free

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
Practice...Ummmm. Practice and o yea, practice. Look I doo ballet, along w/alot of other types of dancing and it all take practice. That is all the advice I can give ya hon.

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Does he specifically want you to perform in it, or just for you to organise a performance?

If you've never done performing before, you'll probably be better off getting more experienced people to do the show.
Or, you could get people in to do it, and see if they'll be able to adapt slightly to let you spin aswell.

I'm not sure where Truro is, but I know there's a lot of people in London who perform (namely Bambam and co.).

If you do decide to do it yourself, my advice would be-
Get other people to spin aswell.
Keep it simple.

Oh, and good luck- whatever you decide to do. biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

420 posts

Posted:
it might help if i point out that i'm a pretty lame spinner. i've been using poi for about 2 years now. and the only skills i've got under my belt are

regular weave
butterfly
one handed butterfly (i'm proud of that one!)
mexican wave
thread the needle and
over head butterfly

i'm practicing like crazy right now!

420 posts

Posted:
mand, he wants me to be part of it coz of our friendship, so i'm not off the hook that easily.
and the budget is about £60 for the fireworks, so getting in other spinners, apart from maybe locals is prob out of the question too.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I learned to spin in Britain, and now do most of my spinning in America.
I realised that British spinners are very 'technical orientated'. (Meaning the more tricks you can do= the better you are).
American spinners are more 'movement orientated'. I've seen people do impressive moves out here, but I've also seen people who can just do a few basic moves look really good when they spin- just because they know how to move.

I'm equally impressed with both the British and American styles.
It just shows that you don't have to be able to do 'btb waistwrap hyperloop gismos' to be a good spinner. biggrin

Don't put yourself down because you can't do hundreds of complicated tricks.

(As far as performing goes though- my advice of before still stands if your friend wants a more professional looking show for his wedding).

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
bring on the locals! Make it a big spectacle! I think sometimes crazy cool costumes, excellent live music, fireworks and maybe a nice backdrop can make up for the less than top skills... and to the untrained eye a small repretoire doesn't make too much difference as long as it flows .

I AM working.

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
my advice would be to come up and practice some easy crowd pleasers, get a chain of combos and put them into a specific order and just practice them in that order nonstop til it becomes 2nd nature... you only have a tiny bit more than a month but you can put a lot together in that time....

Good Luck... if you need some ideas feel free to PM me biggrin

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... tough one. umm

Ok then...
do you spin with other people?
Is there anyone who would be willing to spin for free (we do it quite often, so it's not unlikely). If it's for a wedding, you could entice them with free drink/ food?

Where is Truro? Or where is the wedding going to be?

420 posts

Posted:
i've made some phone calls and some things are starting to come together.

some spinners i've previously met are gonna help me out, so there'll be a little troop! i've also found a fire sculptress. she's gonna make a burning heart for us to hang. i'm still damn nervous thinking about it, but it doesn't seem so impossible now.

thanks for all the suggestions

the reception where the performance is gonna be is on a beach, so we can have a big bonfire too.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Good, I'm glad it's coming together for you. hug
You still have quite a while, so try not to panic.

Feel free to pm me if you want any more help.
Oh, and good luck. Let us know how it goes.