Forums > Social Chat > Sexy Spinners Competition?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
It's probably already been brought up but I couldn't find anything on it thru the search so I thought I'd mention it...

Often on the board there's some sort of popular thread relating to how sexy spinning fire is, how you can pick up dates with it, etc etc.... has there ever been any sort of competition (video, photograph or otherwise) between firedancers to see who's the prettiest? Kind of like a beauty pageant, but with our particular variety of fun thrown in All free, and all just for kicks/bragging rights.

Could be fun if it's never been done before, perhaps some time-lapse photo fire art? Or even video, though that would have to have some very specific rules attached to it for decency's sake. Guys or Gals could each compete in their own division... could be a good addition to someone's modeling portfolio too!

OK, so I'm an idea man, but really - Anyone got thoughts on this?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Nyx, I'm SO disappointed that you don't have it down to hours and minutes (seconds is asking a bit much given airline schedules)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
That picture of Pozee in Durbs' mugshots isn't actually of Pozee though Kyrian. Pozee is a marine. doy ou think they'd let him get away with that haircut in the marine corp?

You can find a picture of the actual Pozee by clicking here.

Brody, you should check out the mugshots gallery for pictures of some of the HOP people.

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
the hair is cooler, hehe, but it still looks like pozee from the firsdt picture i saw.

now where can i find a pic of Shibaki???????

tank you btw Cantus. and the money stuff was interesting too

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
I'm all for this sexyest fire spinner comp. I think all entries should have to wear tight white t-shirts and get squirted down with water 1st by Malcolm, just so we have a sacred balance of the water/fire energy and every one must be sucking on a pasafire while spinning there little booty off. Then all the viewers could send in there votes for who turns them on the most. Hey why don't we have a fire spinning singles dating service too. We could have desperate single send in their video clips of them spinning while they talk about what they are looking for in another spinner. Personally I like pot-bellied spinners with a fetish for white gas, there's more to love and they ignite quick! Oh yes!!!!!!!!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay i know that last post seems like me but sage wrote it. just so you know. yes, she's as kooky as me.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

729 posts

Posted:
OK that seemed a little harsh, it was just an idea for fun's sake....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
/trembles at the prospect of two arashi-level oracles of kookiness walking the earth.

"...Then, basically, I'm gonna walk the earth."
"What do you mean, walk the earth?"
"You know, like Caine in KUNG FU."
"Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures."
"How long do you intend to walk the earth?"
"Until God puts me where he want me to be."
"What if he never does?"
"If it takes forever, I'll wait forever."
"So you decided to be a bum?"
"I'll just be Jules, Vincent - no more, no less."
"No Jules, you're gonna be like those pieces of shit out there who beg for change. They walk around like a bunch of fuckin' zombies, they sleep in garbage bins, they eat what I throw away, and dogs piss on 'em. They got a word for 'em, they're called bums. And without a job, residence, or legal tender, that's what you're gonna be - a fuckin' bum!"
"Look my friend, this is just where me and you differ -"
"- what happened was peculiar - no doubt about it - but it wasn't water into wine."
"All shapes and sizes, Vince."
"Stop fuckin' talkin' like that!"
"If you find my answers frightening, Vincent, you should cease askin' scary questions."
"When did you make this decision - while you were sitting there eatin' your muffin?"
"Yeah. I was just sitting here drinking my coffee, eating my muffin, playin' the incident in my head, when I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity."
"I gotta take a shit. To be continued."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm hoping Brody, that if we ignore Sage then she'll go away. Or at least give up spinning and give some of us mere mortals a chance.....

Don't diss HOP as a place to meet people. I met the love of my life through this very site. My one and only very wondeful Fluffy Napalm Fairy.

Meh

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
the next thing you know folks will be putting together a sexy spinners 2003 pin up calander...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
a boys one and a girls one? Or a smattering of each in one calender?

there aren't any sexy pics of me spinning I don't think (you should ask Fluffy Napalm Fairy though. She knows stuff like that).

Meh

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
i reckon instead we should have a bad licence photo comp! i a shoe in!!!

It's all good

729 posts

Posted:
You know, the idea of a pin-up calendar ain't all that bad either... what I'm saying is if we have some sort of "beauty of poi" picture archive, it will draw eyes to the art, be good advertising, put a really pretty face on HoP and get good publicity, etc. You don't have to be attractive to have a beautiful picture, just be doing something really cool in it (strike a pose, do something that looks dangerous or technical, look confident while doing it , etc). The idea's not to show off more skin than anyone else or be distasteful... personally I think a lady spinning fire fans in a kimono would be an absolutely beautiful sight, but someone spinning in a thong would be just gross.

You have to think of more than just the person in the picture, consider the background, lighting, what they're doing, what the picture says to the viewer... I named the subject "Sexy..." because I figured it would catch a few eyes that way but it's not about that. It's about taking really beautiful photos of ourselves and showing off to the world not just our skill with a stick or chain, but how we turn techniques into a physical art form.

If I was Mr New Guy browsing thru this interesting "fire dance" thing on the internet and came upon a site with several pics of ppl doing really cool stuff and looking beautiful doing it, I'd certainly give it more thought than if I just saw an animated stick man with a couple poi.

Maybe I just need to get an official contest started or something so ppl would take it seriously, would I talk to Malcolm or someone else to arrange that?

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
here is a photo of the first time i did fire breathing,
https://www.sharemation.com/dangerous/1.jpg
a small flame be most peoples standards, but i love the way it casts light/shadow on my body

https://www.sharemation.com/dangerous/3.jpg
and
https://www.sharemation.com/dangerous/4.jpg
look quite nice too

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Ha ha ha what a fun idea!!!!
But i'm not sure if id qualify.
i mean im a girl, im 20 and i set things on fire for a living (yes!! i made it pro wee haaaahhh!!!)

but i dont think i have the "beauty pageant attitude"..

all the ditzy models i work with right now think im crazy.. "psst did you see that!! she picked that flaming thing up with her bare hands!!!" my god look at her eyes! shes nuts!!! etc..

if i had to pick a characture most like myself id have to pick Tank Girl. mostly cause she blows stuff up, has a no nonsence attitude and blows stuff up. i have tendansies to blow stuff up beat guys up with sticks and thier own shoes (just ask the last cheat S.O.B) heh heh heh.. blow stuff up.. and i smell like patchouli and cinnamon..

oh and i dont wash my hair er....nevermind. *hangs head whilst flicking a lighter*

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, but Tank Girl is really hot. *drool*

Takes all kinds, huh?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

729 posts

Posted:
Having fun is the EXACT attitude we're looking for You don't got to be ditzy or anything to qualify, just snap a pic of you doing something you really enjoy in a way that says to whoever looks at it "I know I'm good." Creative costuming and striking a clever pose also go far in a picture.

729 posts

Posted:
Here's a few examples I found cruising the site, these pics all have something beautiful to them.

Pixi & Andrew - this one has an awesome softness to it, with the fire casting light onto their faces and giving it a real romantic feel

Ring of Fire - this pic captures a whole tribal side of poi... a better view of the person in the picture would really make for good advertising

Pic by Spanky - here's another good one of flames casting light on the person's body. A little clearer view of the face would help, but the background with the city lights is excellent! Goes to show you don't need a time-lapse ring of fire effect to have a good pic.

Fireworks - the background TOTALLY adds to the picture.

Flash Fire - This one could be on a magazine cover Lookin GOOD Flash!

Just a few ideas but maybe this'll get the ball rolling

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not that I didn't link to this already brody or anything but mugshots for her fans flash fire.

Meh

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
sweet merciful crap!!

that pic of me is really bizarre!!!
it from grade 11 *lol*
ha ha right before i had to go out to a super formal dinner *lmao*
i had no idea there was a page with pics on it.. i guess i need new pics..

and holy crap! pozee is hot!!!!!!!!!
er..

with fire.. and fire is hot.. so err
*runs off and slams a door*

Send food, not bombs.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*pretends to be modest and tries to blush*

owww - stop it C@ntus!!

yeah, Pozee is a babe. It all comes from within - bright shining light reflects the beauty.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
im tellin ya some people insides just look beautiful...

not that i have cut people open lookin or anything.
but you know what im talkin about..

Send food, not bombs.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
hey sorcha, how's your self igniting staff?

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
As I keep saying that picture of pozee in the mugshots isn't actually of Pozee. Durbs, being a muppet, linked to the wrong pic and was too lazy to find the real one.

Meh

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
heh heh..

oh that..
it failed miserably..
BUT i have joined efforts with other spinners here and were going to perfect it.. you just watch..
my ideas only work in theory i have found now..
and perhaps out of theory our ideas together willband togeth to create *da dunt da!!!* super ultra mega idea..
vee shal see bwahahahaaaa

the question is.... would it makeme sexy???

[ 23 July 2002, 13:32: Message edited by: SorchaTheFlaming ]

Send food, not bombs.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i think a pin up calendar is an awesome idea, i mean youcold have one of really attractive spinners, but also one of like just awesome spinning pictures in general, ones you can just look at and be like "wow"

heh, and flash should definitely be in both...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I think some creative photo-editing so you can mix some really nice fire pictures with the picture of the girl or boy holding the flame or something like that.. The action photos are so often blurry and you can't make out the person's details.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
well, that's half the challenge!! Getting the photo right is an art in itself.

The guy that take the pics of me and the other kids in The Wick Effect has it down pat... BUT - the subject has to cooperate with the photographer - you gotta keep as much of your body as still as possible.

But, sometimes there's just that classic shot, where all the elements combine very nicely. Like that one Barry took of me at fetish show. I was not performing to him at all - I was performing to the audience. I just happened to turn my head at a certain moment when he was about to take a picture. We both like that photo very much. It's funny cos that photo is such a "poser shot" but I wasn't even posing for a photo!

Anyway, enough of my babbling.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
That is a great photo flashfire, but you can tell by the length of the fire trail that you weren't moving very fast..

Its really cool, but the fire pictures I love the most are the ones that are really long and intricate.

I do agree though, you need a photographer that really knows what they're doing.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ahhh - you mean like this one???
This shot was a bit of a fluke also.

this pic

was taken with a normal camera, no flash and extended whatshimacallit (exposure??) Was a very dark night.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by FieryFlow:
Its really cool, but the fire pictures I love the most are the ones that are really long and intricate.
i like to guess what toy is being spun when i see a long exposure flame trail... guess this one!
mmm feelin' like a sleep.
i really wish that someone would do bullet time with a long fire twirl. i saw it once on a car ad with sparklers, but it wasn't the same. the bar has not been met...yet

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: