Forums > Social Chat > Take a little time.....

Login/Join to Participate

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Today on my way home from work I realised as I passed my neighbours house I hadn't seen him for a few day. After putting my shopping away and getting changed I decided I better go round and see if he was ok. He is nearly 70 and lives alone. He is the nicest man you could care to meet. He always has a smile and a tale to tell, and no favour is ever too much to ask him. That's why his absence worried me. It turns out he has terrible flu. He has lost loads of weight and he looks really gaunt. I told him off for not calling me, but all he said was "I didn't want to bother you". I've made him food and got him some over the counter drugs to help with the symptoms. He kept on saying he was sorry to be a burden and no matter how many times I told him to stop being silly he didn't stop.

Where I'm going with this is I noticed Les wasn't about because he is always there. There are lots of elderly people that don't go out much, so you might not even notice that something might be wrong. Take a bit of time and call in on them now and again. Just pop by with a bit of news or something just to make sure they are ok. Some people (Les!) are too proud or worried to ask for help if they need it, so subtly offer it without denting their pride.

And just so as you know this is definatly not a one way street. I can't count the number of times Les has helped me out and all he ever says when I thank him is "Just being neighbourly" SO get out there and be neighbourly and make sure everyone is ok!

hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
It's quite remarkable....I got a neighbour of exactly the same mold. He's 84, called Albert...and an all round top geeza...always helping everyone out. He decks his house up all Halloweeny and buys tons of fruit and stuff for the trick or treat sproggs. He says most british old fogeys don't like it but he spent some time in the US training troops and got hooked. He's always got a smile and a tale too. I keep an ear out for him and make sure i see him at least every coupla days, cos he would have EXACTLY the same "didn't wanna bother ya" attitude.

Skull, I've come to the conclusion you're LOVELY. Not QUITE as lovely as me, but hey, you're only a girl biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

It's smashing to be back x

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
You are an awesome person for checking in and taking care of your neighbor!

I know many people who have a very hard time asking for help from friends or neighbors....it helps when those friends know that their help is needed, and give it without being asked.

hug

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Totally agree, especially with the part about it not being a one-way street.

There's an old guy down our road who's virtually blind and lives alone, and we always stop by when we're walking the dog to see if he needs anything doing or buying. In return we get free runner beans for life smile

He's a lovely old guy though and he's lucky to have lots of neighbours who come to see him. I'm sure a lot of old people aren't so lucky.

Get well soon Les! hug

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I don't think I'm such a good neighbour or I would have known he was ill 3 days ago. I just thought as my good deed to make up for that I'd try and remind a few more people not to do what I did and forget!

Oh and Andy, don't make me have to slap you for the 'but hey, you're only a girl' comment! You know full well Women are perfect! biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Oh and Andy, don't make me have to slap you for the 'but hey, you're only a girl' comment! You know full well Women are perfect! biggrin

PAH! perfect women, santa claus, tooth fairy. all fabrications. I met a woman who was very VERY close to perfect once. Alas, she didn't have a flat head for resting my beer on.

And don't beat yourself up, re taking three days...at least you DID notice, hurrah for you x

It's smashing to be back x

Wyrd SisterBRONZE Member
53 posts

Posted:
Know what tyou mean Skull. I recently helped out a friend of mine as he had to be rushed to hospital to get his appendix out. I looked after his dog for a couple of days (1 year old dalmatian - aaaaargh!!!!) and fed his cats, took the dog to the kennels and made sure everything was all good for when he got home. This happening to Chris made me realise a lot of things. Like me he lives alone with his animals. He's thanked me for helping him out and has said it's showed him who his true friends are.
Now, I know I have people who can help me out if I really need it, but I always make a point of making more of an effort for those who are on their own, or my elderly neighbour, Leanne the single mother living next door. Basically I do what I can for those around me and hope that when I need help it'll be there.
Thanks for posting your tale Skull, people like you give me a bit more faith in humanity smile wave

What we play is life. -- Louis Armstrong
Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff. -- Frank Zappa

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
It's not just old people; I dated a man whose flatmate died and he didn't notice for six weeks (gross, but unfortunately 100% true).

We all need to make a bit more effort to give someone a poke and ask how they are.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
six weeks! eek what did he think, the guy was taking a long nap?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
To give him due credit they had a house where all the rooms were lockable and the guy was always going away for extended periods without telling anyone. Still, six weeks...

He's a policeman of all things, you'd think he'd know better.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.