Forums > Social Chat > Anyone like eating Smarties??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
https://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11247178%255E421,00.html

You might not after reading this article.

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
oh man thats harsh!

theres hardly anything left i can eat anymore! i'd kill for a chocolate mousse right now, but they're always made with either beef or pork gelatine.

I can drink fanta fruit twist though! woohoo! i rang coke and they said its ok for veggies and vegans. some coke products have got fish extract in them, ie coke and fanta.

I only wanted to be 16... and free

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
mmmmm wink

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
hmmm so what! in the end there is no actual rule that says what is and what isnt the norm to eat, get over it!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
dont pink wafers have beetles in them too? confused

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
just realised that could have sounded rude, im sorry! didnt mean it to

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't care. I rarely get Smarties and I luuuurrrve them. Our lame-o country doesn't get Smarties.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

YexBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
meh.

"Not all who wander are lost. "

J.R.R. Tolkien

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
as someone who's very aware that mcdonalds takes meat, processes it til it's a dough-ey sort of deal, then adds meat flavoring to it to make it taste somewhat like a burger and still goes to mcdonalds....

i'm not the least bit surprised and will continue to eat those delicious beetle-colored smarties smile

just my point of view, eating certain things is just as grody as eating other things, the illusion that some things are disgusting no matter how many times they're processed/etc but that eating some things raw is ok doesn't exist in my mind biggrin

much love

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
I studied colourmaking etc. for school. That red dye thing isn't new for me. It's also used in lipstick and other stuff that's dyed pink. I don't know if Pink....? knows this.

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

teejay_bluemikes bitch
387 posts

Posted:
euwww! well i love smarties n macdonalds n tuna n everything i shudnt!! sorry, cant stop, addicted!!

[tuna bit is random]

thankx thanx for the warning tho!!

lolsign beerchug hug grouphug

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music - angela monet.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i like smarties...but i haven't looked at that link yet!! umm

is that coke & fanta & fish bits for real?! eek i don't drink fanta at all (cos it's yuck) & i don't drink coke very often (though i just had a glass...first in while!), but that's wierd! fish extract?! what the?!

why does jsut about everything have to have animal bits in it!? grr

smile

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
Pyrowill, the reason I don't eat things like smarties is because I'm a vegetarian, not 'coz its icky 'coz they're beetles!

So many sweets and things you wouldn't expect contain animal products, its a nightmare.

I only wanted to be 16... and free

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
i just read the article....

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! eek mad

lucky i don't drink guinness...or any beer!! that is just gross.

*runs away to find a site that lists food that appears vego but isn't*

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The thing about the smarties really donest bother me. and i prefer m&ms anyway.
but the guinness thing bothers me - who would drink guinness ANYWAY!!! lol. i think its foul. ok, so i could stomach it to be polite. but i really dont like it. I'd rather drink heinakin.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Meh - Strange, but not surprising...

Hisorically the colour purple was made from Squid ink which was quite tricky and expensive to get hold of - and so was usually only worn by rich people.

Nothing wrong with eating insects really, we are omnivores (unless we chose otherwise).

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: ...Lightning...

I don't care. I rarely get Smarties and I luuuurrrve them. Our lame-o country doesn't get Smarties.

yes, we do, they just have another name because the name "smarties" was already taken by other popular candy (which are not unlike small sweet tarts instead of a foriegn variety of m&m).

and point in fact - edible red die for ANY solid candy food is almost certainly made of this same stuff. Anyone remember that m&ms didn't have red for ages and ages? that is because the old red dye was radioactive, and there was no substitute till this crushed bug dye came along.

and guess what, edible chemicals of all kinds that you ingest all the time come from all sorts of things this "gross" and worse. In the end, I'd rather be eating something organic that comes from dead bugs than something completely artificial and/or radioactive, wouldn't you?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
it's old news re smarties for me too. They can't export them to many countries at all cos one or other of the colours in banned for being horrible in most countries in the world. and the red dye beatle thing is worse than it first appears, because the red extract only come from PREGNANT ones! It's not used that much in food these days cos it's remarkably expensive.

crushed pregnant beatle juice.....yum yum kiddies....eat it aaaaaaaaaaaaall up biggrin

It's smashing to be back x

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
ew gross!! eek i have so got to stop reading the new posts on this thread! it just gets more and more yuck!! ubblol

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by: andythepoi

beatle juice

made me think of betleguse (or however its slept)

from now on im going to think red smarties are incredibly funny!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
from now on i'm going to think red smarties are going to grow legs & run away!! eek

*runs away before anyone notices her previous post about not coming back to this thread!*

ubblol

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Frankly, I'm all over a die made from beetle carpaces as opposed to a dye made from petroleum. Petroleum is gross, too.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
E number info

some of these are perfectly harmless food colourings or flavourings derived from natural sources. though many are non-vegetarian, genetically modified, and/or in some cases cause extreme allergic reactions

the problem is that there are now close to 1500 different e-numbers, too many to remember which are good & bad.

best to avoid them all and just eat non-processed foods.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i'm sure i've heard about the beetle thing in that particular colouring before...

don't see the point in red smarties anyway, they should get rid of them altogether and just fill the tubes completely with orange ones biggrin

do they have bugs in??

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Chemicals are chemicals, whether they're made in a lab or extracted from beetles they're still various atoms arranged in particular ways. Does it really make much difference whether they come from an "organic" soure, like vegitables, an "icky" source, like bugs, or a "clinical" source, like a lab?

Also, brewers have been putting fish scales into beer for centurarys to put a head on it.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
What does it matter any way? I mean it is jsut a bug. I have seen people eat way worse...Yea, I do kind of think that it is gross, but, bugs eat bugs, animals eat animals, why caint we?

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I've also heard about this before.

For myself, I don't really care about it too much- I'll still keep eating smarties now and again.

But it kinda sucks for vegetarians. I mean, some foods go to such an effort to say whether they are or aren't suitable for vegetarians. It seems that sweet manufacturers aren't bothered about doing this.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
What I wanna know is when insects became animals?

And really, is eating .005mg of a dried bug that big a deal? Being Vegetarian or Vegan is understandable to an extent but youd think you could let a thing or two slide from time to time. Maybe thats just me though as Ill eat anything so long as it tastes good, or has eyes.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I guess there are implications for Jews as bugs aren't kosher.

Has anyone seen that thing where they estimate the amount of creepy things that you swallow when you're asleep? You get through something like 10 spiders and a bunch of gnats each year on average.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
ok cows thats ok because they have a face and [censored] and people can feel sorry for that, but beetles...COME ON! theres billions of them.

i wonder if vegitarians freak out if they accedentaly step on an ant.

If I could be granted one wish I would ask for all the questions of the universe.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

What I wanna know is when insects became animals?

And really, is eating .005mg of a dried bug that big a deal? Being Vegetarian or Vegan is understandable to an extent but youd think you could let a thing or two slide from time to time. Maybe thats just me though as Ill eat anything so long as it tastes good, or has eyes.

insects have been animals pretty much since the definition of animal was originated:

There are plants, animals, and microorganisms. Everything is one of those three. Insects clearly are not plants or microorganisms, so...

Icon does have a good point with the rest of his post though - absolutely anything processed for sale (flour, corn meal, etc) has a certain level of contaminantes - mostly wayward bugs - that are allowed and do exist. You, I, and even vegitarians and Jews consume far more insect material this way than you ever could by eating red smarties. Almost nothing is purely vegitarian or cosher because at the very least there will be millions of microscopic mites on it - this is true even of a freshly scrubbed carrot of the purest origin. You just can't be pedantic when it comes to food.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Page: