Forums > Videos > oli and co. productions (now with added fluffy fairy power)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
right said fred. some videos for you:

25/9/05 - Orbit has very kindly uploaded all of these videos to a server from where they are downloadable. many thanks to him for doing so

26/05/06 - videos working again, thanks hyperlight and fni for uploading them onto servers this time hug

hug from oli and ros. right click and download to save them,

stix n sox - this is an old one, filmed back in march. features oli walking round a sock, a tree, and russel being silly (7:44, 52mb (for now..))

not a sock in sight - features 3 minutes of oli spinning fire, too fast. i wanted to not do any editing to this, but ended up editing out one bit where i got sketchy in a tangle, this ruins the flow a bit. this video uses the tried and tested formula, fire poi + trance = video, so dont expect anything original. (3:06, 8.4mb)

at the bottom of a cliff - oli spinning socks. if this looks a) messy b) out of control c)like the sketchyest poi ever, then thats because it is. theres some cool bits amongst the maddness though. my excuse for the general ragedness of it, is the wind wink. also some bits are out of focus, becuase when i started filming the sun was out but it promptly went in and it got a bit dark for autofocus. look out for floppy sock. i have one major criticism of this video (aside from it being messy) but im not going to tell you what it is because im not sure how obvious it is. things i learnt making this video: staying upright on pebbles is hard. anyway i hope you have as much fun watching this as i did making it. (8:36, 25mb) ubbloco

the taste of lyme - quick film featuring ninja dave (1:10, 3mb)

strange things happen - this was nearly 'zest of lyme' but daves too slack. this is apparently the first online film appearance of ros (fluffy naplam fairy), she spins poi (and sticks) properly and it rocks smile its quite long because choosing which bits you dont want is hard, so sorry about that. its got some nice views at funny angles in it too, next time the world wont look like its flowing off one side of the shot, i promise. cool (9:00, 24mb)

dinosaurs ate my circles - features a small white fluffy dinosaur and ros and oli doing some tricks with poi in the suuuunnnn biggrin. (8:13, 40mb) or smaller more compressed flash version - made very kindly by matt on www.spherculism.com.

sending signals to spaceships - the video that was then wasnt and now is. ros and oli flag down some passing aliens and teach them how to spin. if anyone knows the music please tell me.

remember: criticism is cool ubbrollsmile and its nice when the sun comes out sunny

rolleyes

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Fluff - you are gorgeous. Your spinning is amazing!! ubblove your timing is so tight, and you are so graceful when you spin! I like the mixing of clubswinging moves and poi... I'm all for mixing 'disciplines'. I love your poi as well. Are you willing to make another set? I'd gladly pay for the privilege... ubbangel

Oli - dude. I *have* to meet up with you again. I need to 'yoink' so much from you! I'm also inspired to add extra weight to my handles because of you! I wanna be back in Cornwall/devon/south west again!!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblove

Woot

ubblove

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
oli and ros, i'm just downloading the 40Mb file, thanks for the heads up ros.

I'll compress it for you and rehost it if you like,

lala-laa

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Wow cool stuff, beautiful spinning both of you. Looked kinda windy on that beach smile

**plods off to watch it again, again.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday Oli!

now where's our cake wink?

grouphug hug beerchug(im not old enough to drink but whatever)

devil devil

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
once... i thought i almost could match you guys in poi spinning. you've proved me wrong. lovely vid! stunning spinning, nice location, good weather. could i ask for more? don't think so...

gratz oli! happy birthday

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cantus

Currently grinning as I've just been watching FNF and Oli's latest vid (yet again) and it's very silly and smile inducing.

Just realised I know that "dinosaur" I have a photo of it being wrestled to the bed by Bugis...

Meh

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
nice work as always from you two! i'm really liking the release moves a lot, and all the crazy inside-planes stuff. plus oli looks good with his shirt off. wink

do you two ever do partners-stuff? as skilled as you are, i bet you could come up with some craaaaaazy stuff if you put your mind to it.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
slinky, silky, unhurried poi, i like!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
*Hugs* to both of you, yet another mind blowing video (Not that i would expect anything less)

Ros you are looking beautifully sunkissed and glowing - please send some sunny rays in my dreary direction! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

EcclesGOLD Member
enthusiast
251 posts

Posted:
such a coooool video!!!
Ros, you look even more amazing than before!!!!

happy birthday Oli!

you two make me want to make a new set of poi smile
Eccles

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Wicked vid! love the throwing, the setting, the jumping, the spinners, the spinning, the whole thing!

Happy Birthday Oli!

wil post proper commentary in a week or two

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Wicked vid guys biggrin
i can see you have spent much time this summer with your club spinning influencing your poi.
Ros me dear when are you back in sunny birmingham? we need to go spin and you can show me all your loverly shinny new moves.
Are you guys going to this Nottingham meet on 9th october? obviously bristol is first but plan ahead my friends, plan ahead smile

"Don't do it naked!"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey lady...

Grrrr.... arggghhhhh... This computer will take 2 and a half hours to download that vid - and it logs itself off the internet every two hours!!!

So I can't see it ubbcrying

But no doubt it is beautiful biggrin

I'll be in touch soon, I need to have a good chat hug

Getting to the other side smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
i have made a smaller, cropped (not so much background) 20Mb version if you want it I can stick it on my server. Only problem witht the cropped version is that dinosaurs ate parts of the titles. woops.

So oli and ros, do you mind if i upload the smaller one?

m

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblove

Thanks, if it's ok

kiss

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I'm sure that's cool Matt bounce

Back in Brum
No internet (unless I sneak to Sandy's) but should be sorted soon.

Love and hugs and thanks for all the lovely, lovely comments xxx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
beautiful!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
yea matt that would be excellent, when ever i tried to make it smaller than it was all it did was [censored] up the sound so by the end of the video the sedond track was about half way through playing realllly slowed down... sounded pretty funny but not what we wanted ubbloco

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Here's a 20Mb cropped version, the titles are cropped off i'm afraid but you can still see everything nicely. It will play at whatever size your window is, if it's running badly just shrink the window.

https://www.spherculism.com/video/dinosaurs_ate_my_circles_300k2.swf

You might wanna add the link to the first post too.

Shall i stick that feedback up here too?

m

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Awww, thanks Matt... splendid hug

ermmm... how do you fix it when it plays 15 secs, then buffers for a minute, then plays 15 secs etc?!

It's utterly great to be able to see it at all, so thank you muchly, and I know it's cos my computer is crap, but I wonder if there's anything I can do to make it faster (apart from buying a new computer... which I'm working on) - because it would be nice to see it all flow together in one go biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, oh yes... and Oli and Fluffy... that was fantastic. biggrin biggrin bounce ubblove bounce biggrin biggrin

I loved the little stall/throwy thing - and may have to steal it, if that's ok?! biggrin

Fluff, if I were a man, and five years younger, and living in England, I would probably be in love with you biggrin Aww, I love ya anyways biggrin hug ubblove

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Just wait for it to download then it plays through fine, but i guess you figured that out already.

well, ros asked me for some constructive criticism the other day and since it's probably useful to other people as well, here it is: Minus some little treats for oli and ros only wink

Oli:

holding the other poi head and realeasing it behind the arm (trick of the day) is so super sweet, missing piece of the puzzle for me with what i've been playing with.

same time poi switches i dig a lot, been playing with this idea with split time 2 wibbles

Ros:

I'm really liking the throws where you time the catches really nicely. For me this is the most important thing about throwing well, i find if i concentrate on the catch then the throw works by itself.

Again, trick of the day is excellent, totally love it.

Timing is excellent, butterfly flowers are looking really nice, waaaaaay better than i attempt them,

Wacky throws:

That throw you are doing where the handle is directly above the head then throw straight up is very nice.

I'm assuming the knock off your knee was accidental, this looks to me to have massive potential. Perhaps link straight from a change direction kick to a release??? For extra point make the catch under the leg or btb like a waist wrap.

The idea of all this lead me to discover the 'missing throw' that i knew existed but i'd never found, very exciting. Go to throw underarm wall plane, as the head gets up to horizontal (just before it touches your arm) throw the handle up so it goes right round your arm (head will follow behind and not touch your arm) then make the catch under your arm (this is the exact reverse of an underarm throw, wall plane, with a reverse direction catch)

Butterfly flowers are again delicious, i've been playing 2 things that might interest you. The first is to switch the poi at 12 and 6 o'clock whilst doing butterfly flowers, looks very very odd. The other i'm trying to nail is changing the poi direction by hitting the heads together. Works really nicely for weave stuff too, go to do an airwrap but right at the head so they bounce off each other.

Those kick bounce wraps you do off your shins look really nice. From an aethetic point of view i think it would be nice to turn away from the poi your bounce wrapping just before it happens. Then perhaps do something with the other poi at the same time. Maybe an upper arm wrap or a pendulum of something so the whole move kinda strikes a pose for a moment

I really like the look of doing flowers with pendulum stalls to change direction. I think you should find some nice patterns that use this a lot to link weave <> butterlfy flowers in fairly quick succession.

Under leg throws could be used more, i love doing split time wall plane, then eg right hand under right leg release, left hand under right leg release >>> catch >>> catch. You can ctch 1 same direction, 1 reverse direction to transition nicely into butterfly stuff. Mixing in some under leg catches would be very nice. (I find under leg catches very hard btw)

Looks like you need to practice left handed throws more so you can drop them into your freestyle more readily. Thinking about it a lot of your underarm throws don't go around an arm when you catch them. This is a really useful technique to practice because it allows you to tangle up your arms, then if you can't escape, just let go, the other poi goes giant if you like, then catch and carry on. This is another good time to turn away from the catch to make it look extra slick.

This pattern is very helpful to learn well >> LINK

Love the club style stuff. I'd like to see the reversed version of the trick of the day Plus some club style snakes to go with it.

Oli:

That straight jacket looks fookin rude, i dig it a lot and can't do them to save my life.

Would like to see you mix in some under leg turns with the crosser and sj stuff.

Ros:
Odd action with the continuous tangles, looking sweet but looks like you might need to balance it all with the left hand more. (This is how i do them too, but i'v etried to concentrate on my gammy left)

Parallel stuff with throws looks very nice, perhaps add some double throws into the mix.

Your waist wraps look fab, very slick. From here i really love to do a wall plane behind the back under arm throw (if that makes sense). I particularly like to turn 180, go giant with the other poi and make the catch.

Oli:
I've been playing with catching both heads, so you have a head and handle in both hands. Then tossing 1 head out for 1 circle, catch and releae the other head at the same time so it makes a strange butterfly thing. You then can play with the line of 1 poi between your hands, like horizontal vertical etc. When i get the timing of the catch and release nice it makes very powerful shapes. Plus you can add odd litte turns etc. It ties in so nicely with Trick of the Day (TotD).

Yum, the odd little reverse catch thing you do looks really nice. we are totally playing with the sme ideas at the moment.

Visually i really love the inside things you do, especially when you turn and reverse direction at the same time.

Particularly dig your groupie in the background wearing the same colours as you
I like the stuff you're playing with where the poi heads stay just off the ground. Think this has massive potential but it's bloody hard to get the lines parallel to the ground.

It's great to see so many throws added in so seemlessly. But of course i'd love to see more of them. With odd catches straight into other patterns, like inversions, crossers, tangles.

Cheeky little toss toss catch catch from a weave, classic favourite. Love trying to go straight into complex stuff from that pattern without missing a beat. Really tightens up your catching cos you have to catch in the right place, at the right time, witht the right hand position.

Love the giants, into isolations, into inversions etc, very slick. Been playing with al lot of inversions myself recently. Which reminds me. You know that stable tangle you do, outside, outside, inversion, opposite outside, inversion, outside, etc. (damn can someone name that bloody pattern) Well anyway. Recently i've been playing with using inside planes to keep the thing going. So instead of using the outsides, you turn slightly then come inside, then turn back. Damn it my words are failing me. Hope you see what i mean otherwise i'll make a vid.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
that is without out question, one of my top three videos of all the ones i own, along side spinning in paris prt1+2 and cams house party.

well shot, really nice slick moves, stuff that you can see nicly to go try yourslef, inspiring

well done guys smile

Step (el-nombrie)

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
matt hug thanks again for sorting out a smaller version of the video, and for the feedback, much appreciated. just to avoid any confusion though, there are no straight jackets on the video, just crossers.

and biggrin

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I think matt was still entranced by Ros's sexy performance that he just couldnt watch yours as closely..

ubblol

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Well that's partly true smile but i thought those were straight jackets.

Ros caught me at a particularly good time, i've been getting to sleep at around 5am every morning and writing that feedback kept my mind off more depressing topics.

Plus i really love the video and it gave me oodles of inspiration...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh was Oli in it too wink

Meh

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Love it!
Inspired me to start playing with pois! biggrin ubblove

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Can't think of any feedback as far as techniqe. If u are also interested in being more entertaining in general maybe a bit more character dynamics and or dance (the dance more so for u Oli, FNF u know u can move) But the poi themsleves are fantastic!!!
I guess character dynamics sounds a bit vauge. It is really.
but you know what I mean right? Try being a robot. Or very scared of the poi. Or make it very clear that it is the poi that are in control.
When Oli is head bobing or FNF leaping up in the air it's fantastic to watch. Maybe learning to do some stuff like this without interupting your techniqe??
Again this is all scraping the barrel's bottom. Great stuff!

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Page: ...