Forums > Videos > oli and co. productions (now with added fluffy fairy power)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
right said fred. some videos for you:

25/9/05 - Orbit has very kindly uploaded all of these videos to a server from where they are downloadable. many thanks to him for doing so

26/05/06 - videos working again, thanks hyperlight and fni for uploading them onto servers this time hug

hug from oli and ros. right click and download to save them,

stix n sox - this is an old one, filmed back in march. features oli walking round a sock, a tree, and russel being silly (7:44, 52mb (for now..))

not a sock in sight - features 3 minutes of oli spinning fire, too fast. i wanted to not do any editing to this, but ended up editing out one bit where i got sketchy in a tangle, this ruins the flow a bit. this video uses the tried and tested formula, fire poi + trance = video, so dont expect anything original. (3:06, 8.4mb)

at the bottom of a cliff - oli spinning socks. if this looks a) messy b) out of control c)like the sketchyest poi ever, then thats because it is. theres some cool bits amongst the maddness though. my excuse for the general ragedness of it, is the wind wink. also some bits are out of focus, becuase when i started filming the sun was out but it promptly went in and it got a bit dark for autofocus. look out for floppy sock. i have one major criticism of this video (aside from it being messy) but im not going to tell you what it is because im not sure how obvious it is. things i learnt making this video: staying upright on pebbles is hard. anyway i hope you have as much fun watching this as i did making it. (8:36, 25mb) ubbloco

the taste of lyme - quick film featuring ninja dave (1:10, 3mb)

strange things happen - this was nearly 'zest of lyme' but daves too slack. this is apparently the first online film appearance of ros (fluffy naplam fairy), she spins poi (and sticks) properly and it rocks smile its quite long because choosing which bits you dont want is hard, so sorry about that. its got some nice views at funny angles in it too, next time the world wont look like its flowing off one side of the shot, i promise. cool (9:00, 24mb)

dinosaurs ate my circles - features a small white fluffy dinosaur and ros and oli doing some tricks with poi in the suuuunnnn biggrin. (8:13, 40mb) or smaller more compressed flash version - made very kindly by matt on www.spherculism.com.

sending signals to spaceships - the video that was then wasnt and now is. ros and oli flag down some passing aliens and teach them how to spin. if anyone knows the music please tell me.

remember: criticism is cool ubbrollsmile and its nice when the sun comes out sunny

rolleyes

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Thank you ubbrollsmile

I would work on the character stuff if I was aiming at 'entertaining' but right now it's the spinning and gently moving as and when I feel like it that's keeping me captivated (and has done for years). Thanks for the ideas though.

Matt that crit is awsome - thank you so much.

Many hugs await come Bristol-time. And owing to my lack of technical understanding (though I not to confuse this with nicely developing technical skill) I can't undrstand a lot of your descriptions so will need you to show me them properly. Can't wait to play! biggrin

Everyone else - hug (especially miss FP ubblove )

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
just watched that again,
why because.

one thing ros the isolated buzzsaw that you did down the legs back up and round and back the other way eek ubblove
there must be some potential in that for sticks somewhere, but thats just my mind working.

must be some meetings soon that i can attend (ie not brizzol)
because i want to introuduce every one to my special french lady, and get her addicted to spinning :P

apart from that this post serves no point other than to be and do what it is smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblove

You guys make such wicked vids, oli you're a nutter and your mind is crazy, but when will your body cath up with your hands?! Not that it's bad or anything, infact the mix of your über tech exellance with Ros' flowy loveliness works a treat. You can tell just how much you guys feed off each other when you spin together, especially in the sunshine smile

Thanks for more wonderful videomaphone entertainment, can't wait to see you all in Brizzol kiss

So...appraisally type things then:

Ros, your throws are getting really sweet now, is it thanks to all that club swinging you've been doing? I like the mix of throws you're fitting in, and the various transitions in/out of them too, especially with the other arm fully extended. And your timing has improved massively. Not so much on the transition between split/same time cuz that has always been cool but the "during" timing is far far sweeter than it has ever been.

Oh and those orange trousers.... ubblove ubblol

Oli, I love to watch you spin, the butterfly barrell roll inverty extension thingie around 7:40 looks soooooo sweet! biggrin

....soonage... xx

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug lady

You are beautiful
xx

Getting to the other side smile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
So.. watchin the Dinosaur vid, and the progressive use of double weighted poi.. it makes me wonder. Are you folks purposefully delving into the realm of mini-meteors? I've only been at this for a month, so my vocab is far from adequate, but it looks like that would be a valid place of exploration. Basically, off-balance meteors (i.e. the "handle" end of poi being less weighted than the poi end), but having enough weight that you can do basic one handed spinners. I think I'll be exploring that m'self smile Sounds like tons of fun, mixing meteor moves with poi moves. Would probably work great with LED powered poi for nighttime fun.

I look forward to seeing more of this explored, and will work on developing my own set smile Thanks for sharing, you two are always at the top of the watch list!

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Well thank you very much for that track of kimya dawson in the dinosaur vid.. loved it, found it on the net along with three others AND NOW I CAN'T GET IT OFF MY HEAD!!! lolsign

and great vidz.. really can't say anything that hasn't been said before..: )

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
wow guys! some great spinning there! looks like i still have some ways to go w/across body weaves rather complicated looking butterfly moves.. but all in all, petje af hoor. *instant translation = i bow in your presence(good enough)*
@ros: i see all those festivals and gatherings you floated by had plenty of sun biggrin Looking very good indeed!! biggrin

stick

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
simply luverly...the dinosaur video is definitely in my top 3

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Dinosaurs! Simply beautiful spinning smile awe inspiring. smile

good to see the clubswinging practice coming in handy, cant wait to see more smile

and only 10seconds of clubs at the end????! not enough!

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hey guys! Congrats on producing yet some more wonderful watching! ubblove Lots of tricks and a really fun track selection. Giants and lemmings ubblol

Comments hmm..
- That move of the day! Very neat. I think it's great having it as another 'rhythm' to types of moves, if that makes any sense at all. Coupled with the cheeky feel to it, it's really fun watching. 00:09-00:14 Oli, you're looking rather serious doing it though..

-00:42-01:10 Nice cat.

-00:42-01:10 Ros, your throws are looking really smooth! Nice to see you using both hands too. Just a thought, but it might be interesting to experiment with one throw left side, then another to balance on the right just after, instead of two throws on the right, followed by two throws on the left?

-01:24 Bugger. ubblol Nice touch.

-01:31-01:32 I like how the poi stopped dead in that catch!

-01:42-01:43 Nice follow-on from the previous comment- Interesting to see the poi stay vertical in a throw.

-01:47-01:49 Nice little front/back combo thing.. very flowy.

-01:57-01:58 Very nice flower, though hands look a bit awkward to me- shoulders lifting the arms a bit high perhaps?

-02:23-02:24 The move of the day but btb! Almost there wink

-02:32-02:33 I love that low to high bth transition! ubblove Especially what the left hand does smile

-02:40 Looked slightly off balance there. Got me thinking about the ground. Not a big fan of poiing on slopes myself. And then I wondered about whether the camera was level.. Horizon looks slightly tilted..

-02:43 starts off a nice flower, but 02:46, you look like you're having a good stretch wink

-03:07-03:08 Would love to have seen where you went holding the two poi heads ubblol biggrin

-03:21-03:30 Oli! Straitjackets.. crossers.. whatever they're called, they're super and you do them really well. And after that the pirouettes to the flower.. good stuff. Really enjoyed watching it biggrin

-03:32-03:38 Nice turning with that butterfly.. I'm stilll trying to pin down doing it in split time

-03:41-03:54 Nice bit of editing.. Worked really well with the waves and that person on the beach, great place to put song credits, and a nice transition into the next bit.

-03:55-04:00 My favourite part of the whole clip! What on earth the heck was that!? eek ubblove ubblove ubblove

-04:23-04:32 Lovely turns, nice slight speed variation in there somewhere..

-04:52 Nice catch- couldn't see how it started, but it looked neat.

-04:53-04:55 Love that little left/right pulling the pendulumy poi thing.. (wish my poi vocab was a bit better at this point..) ubblol Think you could build a whole routine on that!

-04:56-04:57 Great direction change thing.. Unexpected and very watchable.

-04:58 The throw looked good even without having much airtime. Would love to see a bit more variations though maybe? Not sure how well they 'match' the previous couple of moves. Seems to get a bit techy here at the expense of flow..

-05:12 I can't get enough of these random people walking in random directions.. Funny this lady's choice of path ubblol

-06:15-06:22 Butterfly crossed jacket whatever thingos.. wow. eek

-06:43-06:51 Nice clean buzzsaw isolation bit.. and the music suits perfectly.

-07:09 ubblol

-07:11-07:34 Oli, I love watching you flowy more than techy- seems to have more of a narrative. This particular sequence is great! Very tight stuff..

-07:35 Those pendulumy swing things again! biggrin

-07:39-07:45 eek WOW. Butterfly inversion things? Tres uber.

-07:59 Snakes are so mesmerising biggrin

All up, another beautiful video you two, please keep them coming. Can't wait for the next one! beerchug

3,638 posts

Posted:
Awwwwww hug thank you lots. It is very very useful to see what people react to most. Love and hugs for your time and help............ Now I just have to get me a copy of this vid! ubbrollsmile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Got your PM.

I loved it. There's so much inspiring work there that I'm picking up my sock poi much more than the days before I saw "DaoC". <3 to Ros and Oli for the smiles as they spin, and the actual dancing- I made a post on gs.c. ubblol

I trust someone else to give you a higly techy post, so my only criticisms are that I'm wanting to see more tossing/contact work with the double ended poi. I'm sure they're in the works, so I can't wait.

hug

Keep at it Oli and Ros.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
suibom - yea, offf balence really little meterors would be a good description of my poi. soooo much stuff you can do swoping the poi/ends around in your hands and arms all at different positions... mostly it all makes me go ubbloco .... ubbrollsmile

thanks alot for your thoughts smile

also ros, check your pms, ive got a cd waiting for you ....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
iol, im having problems encoding yyour avii file, what did you use for teh audio, what codec, ist not recognised by virtualdub or sonic fordge

?

Step (el-nombrie)

xorbaMIA
147 posts

Posted:
u kno wat? that guy at the end of stix n sox is much much beta than that now.
its a little embarrasin... and wat does he look like!?!?!?!?! it was a long long time ago!

oh dear......its me

All that is solid melts into air

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
What are the latest links for these? I couldn't get Stix n Sox (sp).. link came up URL unavailable.. I'd love to see it!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I have it on my server... It's called 750.mpg smile

Cake or Death?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
One new move to my dictionary and nice place too thank you Dinasaurs.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

xorbaMIA
147 posts

Posted:
oli, what ever happened to that vid we all made on the beach at lyme with the 3section at the end????? i really wanna see it again!

All that is solid melts into air

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Oli - is it just me, or are links all down?

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
orbit.harm.org (where the links were housed) died sometime around firedrums. Anyone seen Roger around?

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
i would like to see some of these videos, i have downloaded the stix and sox one fom hyperlight, cheers for that. if anyone elce could help.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i didnt know these were down frown , thanks for pointing that out hopefully they will be back soon...

3,638 posts

Posted:
eep!

kiss for Oli - good luck. Lovely to see you briefly yesterday. hug2 to everyone else...........

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Yo Fluff! long time no see biggrin

Oli - if you want your vids hosted check me a cd with them on and ill put them of sfs - if you want smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
hug the fairy, i will see you again relatily soon i reckon biggrin

and thanks for the offer struz but ive found copies of them all on various servers and videos are now working again smile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Good news! 'Twould be a shame to not have access to those wonderful vids.

Peace,
- Sui

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
*_* I think fluffy is the spinning girl I like the most - the perfect jam between tricks and styles - I like very much your throws and your turns, and your stop under the legs with one poi and then the other - your vids gave me a lot of ideas to work on ^_^

Oli seems not to have bones O_O !!!

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
wow, you guys are awesome, caused me to sign up here at last, buy lots of new kit and start practising again LOTS. I'd so love to be able to just flow like that... really amazing.

shame the geekops servers seem to be dead now, still a couple of the vids I've not downloaded yet.

one question though, where did you get those really cool cloth/rag looking poi Ros uses a lot? I havn't seen anything like them anywhere (closest is the maori poi on HOP but even they're far off) and they look ace.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Lovely spins with great flow, I like especially dinosaurs and strange things ...

A move I see first time is this "hourclock-move", I just love those giant-small circle combinations which look awesome with fire, will practise those ... for most of the rest I think I need some more months/years/decades ...

Have seen oli on Col and hope FNF submits something soon as well ...

Page: ...