11 posts

Posted:
weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

[color:blue][B]DGrimm[/B]cool[/color]

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Hey...

So it's been a while since I've logged on, but I'm calling Montréal home these days - anyone else doing the same?

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone,
I know the action is pretty much dead for the winter but I thought I'd introduce myself-I've just gotten back from travelling and should be calling Calgary home for the next couple of months. I can't wait for spring-to have spin meets, I had no idea there were so many spinners in Calgary.

Rock On!!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Hi Sassy, welcome to Calgary. smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SithInHeelsBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
London Ontario checkn' in.

Doesn't seem to be much poi-wise in London yet, but my husband and I are working on it. Always looking for more people to meet, learn and share with!!

firedreamerBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
HI Everyone;
I am new to Poi and would like to take some lessons. Does anyone know of a studio in the Calgary area?

Thanx for your help!!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: firedreamer

HI Everyone;
I am new to Poi and would like to take some lessons. Does anyone know of a studio in the Calgary area?

Thanx for your help!!

I think Mount Royal College does poi classes. They're the only ones I've ever heard of in Calgary.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

firedreamerBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks Mand,

The mount royal classes conflict with my schedule. Another friend of mine is interested in lessons too. Is any one up for making a few bucks and teaching someone really new a few tricks?

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I'd consider doing lessons, but the problem is a location. Unless it's just going to be for a few weeks in the summer, it needs to be indoors... and that's impossible in Calgary at the moment.
Our fire troupe is looking for somewhere indoors to practise during winter, but real estate is in such high demand at the moment that there's nowhere available.

43 posts

Posted:
Have you considered renting a community center for holding lessons Mand? I don't know anything the least about holding workshops/lessons-but, I took a look a my local community center (Scenic Acres, far NW), and its about $25-$30/hr (weeknights). Although, Scenic Acres is proably one of the smaller centers it proably could take 8-10 people (i'm trying to consider that you'd want lots of space for flying swinging objects, hahaha.)

https://www.calgaryarea.com/nw/scenicacres/communitynews/facilities.htm

Anyways I'm sure you could find a center closer to where you live(I'm almost in the boonies), but this is just sample.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Thanks sassy. Definitely worth considering.
I'm downtown, in SW, but I'm sure there must be comunity centres around here somewhere.
I'll look into it.

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
sittin in london ontario, drop me a line if your near to here

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
My lord, doesn't the world revolve around Alberta these days? We get harassed by work opportunities in Alberta so often it's obnoxios.

Though I'm sure you're all lovely people ubblove

On that note, I'm probably moving to Guelph, ON in Sept. for school.

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: OrangeBobo

What part of Calgary's that then? wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by: Mand

Written by: OrangeBobo

What part of Calgary's that then? wink

The better part. tongue wink

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
ubblol

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Screw you all, it's Ontario! tongue

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

43 posts

Posted:
Well, for those in the Calgary area-I thought you might be interested in these events @ velocity motion werks circus studio-I'm not sure If I can make it to this juggle jam, but there is one every month (and they specifically invite poi!)-I think the calgary spinners should collect and dominate at a least one of them:

JUGGLE JAM!

Also, I'll be at this for sure-

Adult intro to Circus Workshop

Pulsenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I haven't checked out Juggle Jam yet, but it seems pretty cool. There is a poi class offered at Mount Royal College... again, could be interesting. But for a more casual thing, it would be great if a bunch of people could meet somewhere to practice 'n stuff. I'm up in the northwest too, doing flag and poi. Would love to meet others, maybe every two weeks or something, but can't do it during the day on weekends... maybe friday night??

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I heard about the juggle jams a while ago, but then forgot about them. I think I'm going to try and make it to the one in March.

The circus workshops- do you know if these are the ones being led by a girl called Spark? If so, I've heard a lot about these too, and would love to give them a go. Again just a case of getting my ass in gear and actually doing it. I'm spending so much time snowboarding at the moment that I don't end up doing anything else!
I haven't actually picked up a set of poi or any juggling stuff in ages!

PhlakkBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
lol, funny that you guys would bring up velocity motion werks. we just did an indoor fire show there on saturday! it's great place with lots of space, inflammible floors, fire permits and $1M worth of insurance!

and i know Spark used to be there just to play aournd but i havent heard anything regarding her teaching. but if she is, great! she was pretty good when i was just starting out.

oh, and the Mt. royal thing is pretty good depending on what level you're at.

the level one course is great for beginners. the teacher is a great guy, really patient and can teach great fundamentals. even if it's you first time picking up a set-o-poi he'll teach you somthing cool.

the level two is a little different kinda class though. it's more aimed at felxibility and the dance aspect of poi. turning the technical stuff into a performance which is important if you want to develop your skills. oh, and the teacher rocks at belly dancing too!

43 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, due to some pretty bad luck, I didn't get to go to the circus workshop on Sunday. But looking at their website, it seems they may hold one every month or so (crosses fingers). I'm going to try for the juggle jam in march for sure. I'm not sure who leads the workshops, but I have heard of girl named spark-saw her article in the herald. I also went to a show @ velocity that Cirque du Who put on ('when the god's laugh') I suspect she was the one on the silk cords (what is that called, the spanish web? I'm feel so lame). Anyways very cool dance, saw some fire eating, and mind blowing body paint art.

That was my 2 cents....yep.

OldLadyWinchesterSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
any spinners in the oakville/toronto area? Im pretty damn novice and was hoping someone could give me some instruction,or point me in the right direction.

a true traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving -Lao Tzu

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Phlakk

the level one course is great for beginners. the teacher is a great guy, really patient and can teach great fundamentals. even if it's you first time picking up a set-o-poi he'll teach you somthing cool.

Just out of interest, do you know who the teacher is? It wouldn't be a fairly short guy called Jason would it?

PhlakkBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
heh, no its not anymore. jae was a great teacher though, its a shame he stoped doing it. the guy now is named dirk (i can never remember his name so im sorry if im wrong) he actually learned under jason with us.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Oh that's a shame. I've only met Jason a couple of times, but he seems like a lovely guy, and a good teacher from what I hear.

I was kind of thinking about hosting a series of poi lessons, at a comunity centre somewhere up near the university. Now I'm not so sure about it though. Kind of been there and done that sort of thing. It's something I'm keeping in mind as a maybe though.

43 posts

Posted:
Hey I didn't see any spinners at the juggle jam, where'd you all go?

I had a pretty good time, picked some basic diablo movements, huzzah!

43 posts

Posted:
Hey Pulse,
Sorry about not getting back to you sooner about the meet-ups, but when the weather clears I'm definately up for a spin meet (i'm in NW too). I don't do poi, but I'm just as hyped to meet some local spinners (dir...I'm nerd...).

(hey, I'm dominating the canada thread...yar-da-yar....feel the might of sassy....) nana

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
frown
I completely forgot the juggle jam was this weekend- we went snowboarding instead.
Ok, next month. REALLY!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Heh peeps
I shall be over in Canada 1-15(ish) of June around Toronto for a street fest and a wee travel - busking tour.
Anyone around that area who wants to hhok-up, can offer me some accomdodation or recomend places to busk, visit?
Its possible I may also be out there middle of July between Toronto and Ottowa for another gig ive been offered in Kingston - im actually looking for some other possibilities - either booked gigs or festivals/events to busk - so any help on that would b great. Then maybe back in Toronto end of August for another gig, before hopefuly heading down to Burning Man.
I have also had a 'bite' from Scallop days Festy in Nova Scotia middle of August - anyone been to that?
If you can offer advice, lifts or some place to stay around any of these places it would be most welcome
Thanks in advance
Peas
Rob

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Spinner13SILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. How has everyone been? It's almost the season to spin fire outside! I know it's snowing out right now frown soon though! Phlakk and I are making a point to come out to Juggle Jam in April, so all better come out as well! It should be a good time!

Page: ...