Forums > Technical Discussion > Win XP SP2 vs DivX 4.02 = frame dropping?

Login/Join to Participate

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi guys,

Im about to finish a new vid, and Im getting frame drops during the final compression / export. Its definitely the codec, but I cant sort it out? does anyone have any tips? If its to use DivX 5 then fine - but I'm having seperate troubles downloading that one, and I cant seem to get very good results from it anyhow...but thats for another thread...

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
try XviD !!

Or google the download, it's a much better compressor(using mpeg4), gives you less dropped frames and better sound qual. One thing to make sure of as well is if your output framerate is the same as the input framerate?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
ok so I got the upgrade to Div X, and at first it all seemed good. I even spent 2 hours reading the users guide (In Colour no less!) so that I could set it up right. didnt end up making many changes, but anyhow.

so now ALL my Vids are playing back terribly. Even the ones I encoded ages ago with the previous codec.

WAAAHHH!

not fair.

Josh

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Did I mention how much I hate XP? I blame all the unceasing updates and patches. Somewhere in there they have killed my ability to enjoy firey vids on my computer...

Josh

--

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Death to XP service package 2......

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I have had so many problems with DivX codecs - they keep on bringing out new ones, and a new player - but don't seem to support backwards compatibity.
In fairness, it's free - but meh, it don't work well at all - the only good version I've found is off Strugz's www.soton-firespinning.co.uk under "Downloads" which is version 3 of the codec (I think they're up tp 5.2)

But yes, Xvid, seems much more stable

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
oh well it all suddenly started working again?!?! I dunno. Anyhow - I still cant match the quality of the version 4 codec with the version 5 at the same file size. Its wierd.

Anyhow - a new vid is on its way.

Josh

--