Page:
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Okay,

I sat down last night to watch COL5 and have made some notes on each performance. If you performed on COL5 and want my constructive criticism, let me know and I'll tell you my thoughts, either on this thread or via PM - you choose.

My overall impressions -

Fantastic to see the young ones giving it a go! I think enouragement awards should go to both fire fairy and hannah. I was particularly impressed by hannah - way to groove baby! Fire fairy had a great flowers and a nice TTN. Good stuff smile

I was a little disappointed by people's lack of effort in terms of presentation. I think that if you're entering a video for international viewing, a bit more thought should be put into location of filming and costuming - shorts/ trousers and tshirt really takes away from the performance when viewed on film. So does a crappy location (like infront of a fence or surrounded by uncut grass). But, that's just my opinion. I loved Yayoi & Brother and Son - beautiful backdrops used for awesome and fluid twirling.

What on earth is going on in the UK?! You lot are crazy technical! Personally, I found that the technicality was often at the expense of fluidity of movement, but again that is my bias coming into play. I personally like a dancey fluid style of fire twirling as opposed to a 7 beat shoulder wrap with a BTB horizontal buzz-saw.... but hey, I'm old school.

I'd also like to say that if you're doing any sort of acro (as simple as getting onto ground and getting back up again) - please perfect it before you incorporate it into a routine. Also consider the timing of your acro - doing a bend-back or horse-stance style squat is pointless unless you can hold it for longer than a second and do something good with your fire toys whilst holding the pose.

Same for synchro moves - simplicity is the key here, and if you haveb't got it down 98 - 100%, practise more before incorporating into a routine. And, if you're doing synchro moves, then breaking off into some freestyle moves make it obvious. Otherwise it looks as though 1 person is trying to maintain the synchro routine whilst the other person has turned around and is stealing the show!

I liked the way Fire Trinity had 2 background people doing simple yet effective moves whilst in the foreground the performer was showcasing. Effective and balanced use of space and performers.

2bags is the craziest individual I have ever seen - foot staff!? wow!

Jools was great - quirky, cute, technical yet funky. Nice one.

I got plenty more notes on everyone (both positive and constructive) - let me know if you want my humble opinion!

Overall, it's a great teaching aid and will inspire most individuals to learn more and practise more.

I'd really like to see a more professional approach in the next COL though. Costumes and venues please people!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
[QUOTE]Brother & Son-everyone else here loved the cinematography. I'm sorry to say I'm the only one who hated it. I couldn't see what you were doing! Black silhouette looks pretty, but not much help to those of us trying to learn. [/QUOTE]

I don't get this, I have a crappy old TV and I could see everything apart from that one low grade shot in the snow, or ice was it? And the whole COL is more about showing and performance that tutoring and learning, as a performer he must be magic to watch in person smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
From someone who was lucky enough to see him in person (and he didn't even do all that funky stuff spank) Andy is amazing to watch.

He's one of those people who *beginning cliche* make it look utterly effortless.

Hypnotic, spell-binding - all those great words biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
yeah. wulfgar you dont know what you are saying. like dunc said, col5 is not for learning. it is a way for people to spread there talent and to inspire. just cause you didnt learn from it means it wasnt good. brother and son's video was excellent. perfect seeting and mood. job well done BAS. the only part i didnt like had nothing to do with you. that freaking dag ran across the screen. it pissed me off that someone would let their dog do that to you. flawless video man. a+
EDITED_BY: \\\\Blades Of Grass//// (1100730331)

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Coool...just got to see CoL5 thanks to Bec (cheers luv!)...

I dug:

RHD - for the obvious reasons - amazing technique, well shot.

B&S - for the most beautiful poi spinning on the video. The sunset shot was possibly the lovliestly framed shot on the entire vid (next would be Sista Firewire's gothic doorway).

Anthony Donelli - for the trampoline girl (did he know she was there???) but also for putting in some effort (except the cloths [sorry dude]), and the aewsome effect of the smoke being sucked up through his on-the-ground butterfly. I though t that look f**king cool!

2Bags - don't need to say why really do I?

I thought all the duo acts had cool new duo stuff...i liked the EleMental's fight choreo bit, the FireSiters had cool stuff but the lighting was crap!

Personally the spunkiest, funkiest, luvliest dancing on the entire vid goes to Jools.

Regarding the issue of "costuming" - although I feel that there's not a great need or desire for elaborate costumes as such, theming or just *something* to make it not t-shits (or just yer pants) would do great things for any video put forward to CoL. Anthony Donelli did everything right in my eyes but then had his 'going to the shops' clothes onthat REALLY took away from the whole presentation for me.

My main gripe about all the CoL's is the dodgy quality of the lighting and film quality for the majority of the entries. I am well aware of how hard it can be to film fire...but some additional lighting would make SO much the difference.

Me being a bit slack on reading all the posts on HoP...is there a list of criteria available that the judges are makign their decisions on? Are there any criteria at all or are the judges making up their own. Maybe if we all knew what they are in advance poeple would tailor their vids a bit more (hopefully) lift the presentation and we'd get a kick ass CoL6!

ok...i think I've blathered on long enough now smile

Well done to everyone who entered!

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
Grr argh and all that, mine hasent come yet

we dont get to vote?! frown eek im crushed

a general question, when it comes to judging, voting or personal enjoyment do you prefer high amount of technical moves or quality video, cinematography or both?

Blades of Grass, you said the col videos were not for teaching, i agree to some extent, but they should be inspirational, you can at the very least get ideas for moves from them, for people like me who are relitively isolated from other poi people the col videos are a chance to see moves and styles from around the world and improve skill and personal spiining style, ive definatly learned from col2, or at least been compeled to learn

anyways, cant wait to see it, congrats to everyone who got in, and everyone who didnt hug

peace/fire
lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Well down people...and even three third place winners... B&S congrats, and Jools... beautiful spinning, RHD... 2Bags... crazy... and Fire sisters, again beautiful... wink

Well done.

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Congrats guys smile hehe

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Congratulations Guys, All well deserved winners!

bounce

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
YAY congradulations!!!!!! hug hug hug

awsome, still havent seen it, so i cant comment but im sure all the entries kicked ass,

lovely job everyone ubblove hug

peace/fire

i wonder if you could buy every single item in the hop store for a thousand dollars, probaly could(wanders off with dreamy look in her eyes)

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
yes!!! steve got tird place!!! yes!!!!!!!!

AHH!!!!!

yes!!!!

good job to every one else. rhd wow i will envy you guys forever for i will never be able to spin a staf the way you guys do.

this is awsome. if i did 4 poi tircks and stuff in an entry would i have good shot at getting on the dvd. i would also do 2 poi and staff and other acts. do i have any shot at all
EDITED_BY: \\\\Blades Of Grass//// (1100906467)

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

Russian_WulfgarSILVER Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
"I don't get this, I have a crappy old TV and I could see everything apart from that one low grade shot in the snow, or ice was it? And the whole COL is more about showing and performance that tutoring and learning, as a performer he must be magic to watch in person "

Well, as I said in my first post, I judge mostly on moves I haven't seen before and the dance kind of style I like. It's just my opinion that Brother and Son was great but I couldn't see his video all that well, the black silhouette was pretty, but I was trying to see what he was doing. I'm glad he won, he definitely deserved it and again, as I said in my first post, "besides the cinematography, B&S was fluid and smooth and had great interlacing of poi. You definitely would have gotten Four Stars if it had been lit better so I could see it all."

To me, COL is not about showing and performance. It is all about learning and being inspired to do better. COL may be different for all of us. I use it as a tool to learn, and if I can't see what someone is doing, then as beautiful as it looked (and B&S was beautiful) I just can't judge it very highly in terms of what it means to me. And B&S in person would definitely inspire me to learn, but all I had to go on now was his video. Maybe I'm going blind, but I just couldn't see what some of his tricks were. If we were judging solely on cinematography, he gets 5 stars from me.

Russian_WulfgarSILVER Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
"yeah. wulfgar you dont know what you are saying. like dunc said, col5 is not for learning. it is a way for people to spread there talent and to inspire. just cause you didnt learn from it means it wasnt good. brother and son's video was excellent. perfect seeting and mood. job well done BAS. the only part i didnt like had nothing to do with you. that freaking dag ran across the screen. it pissed me off that someone would let their dog do that to you. flawless video man. a+ "

Art is in the eye of the beholder. COL is what the viewer makes of it. If I say it's for learning, than TO ME and me only it is for learning. I'm sorry but that's the way I use it and judge it. I'm very happy that you use it in a different way, I think that 's great. I wouldn't tell you how to view COL, I'd leave that up to you, to make your own judgements yourself. It's just my opinion; people are free to take it or trash it. But I'm not going to dump all over your opinion.

I do find COL very inspiring, when I can see what the performers are doing. B&S cinematography was beautiful and I loved the dog running across the screen. I acknowledge that he's wonderful at spinning and deserved to win and I can't wait to see if he submits another video next year because I'm sure he'll light it better and I'll be able to see all his beautiful body work. And if he doesn't, more power to him. I hope he always creates his videos just the way he wants to and doesn't listen to anybody else.

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
congrats too all the winners

your vids are amazing and u deserve to win

but watch out BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

fraggle is comming for u all next year LOL

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
wow, i just got and watched COL5 and was totally blown away.

it just gets sooooo much better every time!!! great variety of toys, music and settings. Seemed like more smiles. and super creative. I loved everybody's.

here are a few of my favorite things:
FIRE SISTERS - I thought we did a good job, but it is terribly dark in places, our choreography could have been a bit smoother and we were only able to shoot the fire circle once, because i didn't bring enough fuel. doh!
SISTA FIREWIRE - I loved the close-ups, the drama, the settings and real cool fire fingers
ONE WHEEL - you are sooo smooth, amazing throws and one-handed stuff
PROMETHEUS - I think it's great that you have a fire safety person visible in your shots, good for you. the "fight" with the staff was great
FIRE BANDIT - beautifully shot
JOOLS -phenomenol, what a wonderful dance style and technically amazing. by the way, were you ever in palenque and puerto morales?
THAI TOM - crazy moves, there are a few I'm going to have to watch over and over to figure out what you're doing.
HERC - great fire whip, first time I've really seen one
FIRE TRINITY - wonderful. I love seeing duo and trio stuff. And you did it so well and with such nice smiles. I especially liked the steel wool and the throwing poi to each other. I've tried that, but not too successfully
LEIF - great circle of fire, any hints? Again, I've tried it, but....
TWO BAGS - that is the craziest one-handed stuff I've seen and you're doing it with two hands! and three staffs and unicycles and flaming bicycles. spectacular!!
FRAGGLE - i love your style. it's very confident, cool, great wraps.
GLITTER GIRL - love the poi/hula hoop combo
B+S - poetry in motion, beautiful
BENDER - great double staff, i've got to learn and i'll be watching your video over and over
DRAG'N - very nice
FIRE FAIRY - wow!
ATEF - love that double stuff
RHD - very impressive, great music, incredible, definitely going to have to study this one. my dad thought you should be first
HANNAH - lovely
SAMASH - great to see someone else doing doubles and even the crazy death move (aka:the hug of death)
JOANNA - nice close-ups, love the belly dancing approach...
ELEMENTAL - great costumes, beautiful
ANTHONY - love the dry ice, and the ropes looked beautiful. were those flame throwers?
MATHEW - nice to see clubs on a COL video
ETERNAL - very nice, were those fire numchuks and the teeth thing is neat.

now, to watch it again!!!

linda, the shorter fire sister

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
*groans*

I shoulda ordered CoL when I ordered my staff too. Dang it.

I've been talking to a friend who wants to get into spinning with me, and we're talking about doing a "routine" for con shows. I'll talk to my firends and see if we can make something of heavy post production (up to my standards, anyhow) for a more "slick" presentation. General warning. Be prepared for a VERY strange entry to the next CoL!

Ready or not, here it comes....

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

ThaiTomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
thank you Wulfgar!!!
Yeah linda check out this cray crap.....good lukand and don´t give up......
cheers
ThaiTom

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Written by:

ETERNAL - very nice, were those fire numchuks and the teeth thing is neat.

Yeah... Dave's the most amazing chuck spinner I've ever seen. At times it just looks like two short staves, he does amazingly seamless hand rolls.

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
Written by: linda

FRAGGLE - i love your style. it's very confident, cool, great wraps.

hehe thanx so much im glad u liked it

ive gotten a lot better since the vid came out

a lot better

expect to see mad wraps

lots of crazy weaves throws and all kinds of crazzyness next vid

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: fraggle

ive gotten a lot better since the vid came out

I love it when people say that!

biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i love it when you see the same people on consecutive col vids and you can see for yourself how much better they've gotten!

helps me realise there's hope for me too biggrin

congrats to you all clap

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

Jools amazing spinning Very funky wow wow weavesmiley

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that's a good review, oh sista of flamage.
youse put a lot of thought into your storyboarding and make COL videos even more pop-corn worthy biggrin

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mudfiremusenewbie
4 posts

Posted:
flash fire...as an objective reader, nobody actually seemed defensive. if you are free to give your opinions and criticisms openly, shouldn't others be freely allowed their opinions on the matter? this is, after all, a forum, is it not?? these people were simply stating their difference of opinion. as a moderator with an open venue to speak your mind, you might consider being more open to others speaking theirs, even though they may not be moderators... just something to chew on.
i haven't seen the video either, but i agree on costuming, myself. i am very enchanted and impressed by the mixture of beautiful dance and costuming, along with fluid and skilled moves.
just my opinion...

joolsSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hey Linda, thanks alot for the compliments - yes by the way- that was me in Mexico, i miss it like hell! i'm travelling in Thailand right now but i plan to go back next winter.....we're you working in Rancho Libertad?
Nice one MEERKAT, beerchug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*insert jools is the funkiest poi spinner i have ever seen comment here*

definatly the highlight of the show for me.

Love is the law.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
hi jools,
i thought that was you! (I didn't think there could be two women that good, both named Jools!) I met you briefly in Palenque (you showed me two moves! thanks). I was travelling with Kan'Nal. Then the singer (Tzol), the guitarist (my brother, Terry) and I went to Rancho Libertad. That's when Aaron joined the band and we met the lovely Irene, Ascentia and Phil.
have a wonderful time in thailand! Oh, by the way, have you ever met Oud in bangkok? He makes lots of toys and they play every night in a park there.
It's a small poi world, eh?

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Written by: linda

JOANNA - nice close-ups, love the belly dancing approach...
linda, the shorter fire sister

Hey thanks Linda smile Your video was so great! wink

I finally got to see it last night! My friend ordered it and got it in a week, I havn't rec'd my free copy yet. ? but anyways, I loved the whole thing! Gathered 10 friends together and we had so much fun watching it, big, with a projector/screen and chocolate cake! It was a racuous viewing. I look forward to a solemn studious solitary screening someday. ubbrollsmile

I AM working.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well i saw most of it. is it me or did the little girl have the most riveting stage presence? what was she looking at? it'll keep me awake for a few days...

i agree with the verdict. technically B&S stood out, very clean. could be world class in no time. i want him on my team in the poilympics.

RHD came in third, i'm sure that was a tuff decision... (though that doesn't mean that i don't have a little crush on jools, and i thought she was the best dancer overall- some more tech training and she'd take over... ever consider studying middle eastern dance, cutie? ubblove and it seems we have mutual friends, the palenque kids) i think with some more physical presentation they could be even better too, i kept waiting to see some regular staff moves, or choreography, mixed in, and only until the very last half second of the vid was there any, that framing move with the staffs... that was the moment that felt like a winner. it seemed like they were cramming all the cool tricks they could onto the vid, when i'd have liked to see those tricks with some more of the presentation choreography/booty shakin inbetween. still jaw dropping tho.

bender, you're a nut and i still can't wait to hang out someday. you're an inspiration, i want you on my poilympics team too. you will really stand out and inspire many in your lifetime, stay amazing (or else).

special commendation to 2bags for a most enjoyable laugh out loud time, way too funny.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: