Page: ...
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Election day in the US.

7 days.

Like it or not.

Storm's a comin'. Get ready for a lawsuit filled election won by Mr. Bush. Hey, don't blame me, most of you all aren't voting against him.

That's my prediction, you heard it here first.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Ade

shrug

so no one knows why you vote on a Tuesday and not on the weekend?

shrug

So the working poor won't be bothered taking time off to leave their jobs and return. Even if its supposed to be allowed by their employers! wink

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
I, Personally think that all politicians are full of horse censored, if you will....and with the aid of MTV and CNN, the masses will be swayed by propoganda and lies......to vote for the lesser of two evils...the idea that you have a say in the way things develop is laughable in a world of "biggie fries" and even bigger bullshit wars, the only thing that really matters is what color lipstick you're wearing.
EDITED_BY: BrandyH (1098926320)

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Oh, yeah.....you vote on tuesdays, so all the lazy bastards can have a day off during the week.....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Why do you think he won't get close, NYC?

I'm too tired to explain fully. And off to bed. But it basically comes down to the fact that I have not faith in the average American to think about anything more than 3 inches in front of their faces. We've got people saying things like "We've got to support our president because he's our president."

I simply can't argue with logic like that. frown

I think there are many Americans who are perfectly happy blaming everything on 'bad guy' terrorists because it's easier than thinking.

[In Frankenstein Monster Voice:]
Terroists bad.
Bush fight terrorists.
Bush GOOD!

Ug.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
[in shaggy from scooby doo's voice]
woooah man bush is like bad.
bush is like baaad

[In scooby doo's voice]

Scooby doobie doooooo!

Ill take shaggy over frankenstine anyday.

(I may or may not prefer frankenstines bride if it were a third choice)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
well if you wanted 100 unarguable referenced reasons not to vote Bush - here you go;

https://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20041108&s=facts

smile

Thereyougo NYC - I did my bit!

(your comments about bush supporters rings true of supporters of Howard in this country too).

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dom

Florida is using electronic voting - with no ability to do a recount. And in tests and primaries some polling booths didn't actually record any votes!

those are for the black majority precincts.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
from the looks of the electoral vote predictions, it is going to be a real nail biter. Currently it gives a very close victory for Bush, taking 274 electoral votes with 270 needed to win.

Kerry needs to take all the states that only weakly favor him, plus one of the states that weakly favor Bush.

Key states to watch will be Florida (weak Bush, with Nader on the ballot), Pennsilvania (weak Kerry, Nader not on ballot), and Ohio (weak Bush, Nader not on the Ballot) - though Virgina, Minnisota, Wisconson, Colorado could all be deciding factors if Bush takes Florida and Ohio. Iowa (the last state where the polls are dead even) could tip it with it's measly 7 votes. With things so close, even the smallest vote number states that could possibly swing (west virginia, nevada) are crucial.

Florida could easily go Kerry though (despite Nader having made it on the florida ballot), in which case Kerry would probably win as Bush would have to retain all others and take at least two large swing states from Kerry. The results from Florida will probably be known fairly quickly if the electronic voting actually functions properly.

The only thing I am really hoping for is the fact that someone who won't say who they are voting for is more likely to go democrat, and therefor (I'm dreaming, I know) maybe the swing vote will go towards Kerry and save the world.

The only thing I am sure of is that the election is going to be a suprise in some form or another. Everyone seems to be predicting a repeat of the last one and loads of law suits dragging the thing out for ages. Maybe that will happen, but my guess is that something else will occur that makes this one completely different from the last. Who knows - maybe it will even be a normal election despite being so close. Or maybe it will be tens times more chaotic than the last one!

But ultimaely I do have to say I have my doubts about it being a fair election. If Kerry wins, it will be in spite of Republican interferance, and if Bush wins, probably because of it. The electronic voting had better perform flawlessly too, or that is going to be a HUGE issue.

-v-

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh look - Florida has "lost" 10,000 postal votes, just days before the election.

Now - here's a tricky question - which group of people are more likely to be using postal votes?
Anyone?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
that is easy - democrats! But you knew that.

I bet you $10,000 that no overseas military votes (traditionally republican) have been misplaced though.

-v-

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
- whimper -

Ok, panic is setting in now eek

I suggest everyone on HoP phone someone in Ohio or Florida, explain to them that you're on the other side of the world and beg them to vote for Kerry.

A marvellous plan, no?!!

Getting to the other side smile

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Poster: Durbs
Subject: Re: November 2nd.
Oh look - Florida has "lost" 10,000 postal votes, just days before the election.

Actually they have lost 58,000 eek
And from a state that voted 67% democrat last time around, The biggest margin that Al Gore had in any state!

Nobody seems to know where they are but:

Written by:

A police investigation into the missing ballots has not uncovered any indication of criminal wrongdoing.

Meanwhile, the US postal service inspectorate said it was highly unlikely that 58,000 pieces of mail had just disappeared.

A spokesman said inspectors were trying to establish whether the ballots were ever delivered to the postal service.

Broward County election official Gisela Salas said the situation was "something beyond our control".

"We really have no idea what's going on," she told the Associated Press news agency.

From the BBC world news website.

Nice to know that every thing is under control eh?
Even if they get them back,
where were they?

who had them?

Will they be counted in the final vote?

Who will accept responsibility for this fiasco?
confused

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Nope, we did well to send you guys back to your island.

Am I getting my dates wrong but didn't we stay in Canada and beat you guys when you tried to invade?

It's looking like it's all down to Ohio and Florida. The missing votes is yet another disturbing and openly dodgy occurance in a Bush run state. Let the lawsuits begin!
Thought for the day & looking forward 4 or 8 years - if Jeb Bush doesn't leave his current job before running for president he'll be directly organising the scandals that get him elected. Will that finally make the majority people realise what's going on and demand change? If not, what will?

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'd have to disagree with what Spanner is saying at the moment. We have currently been experiencing record amounts of early voters. Election day is technically the 2nd, but in some states you can vote early (starting Monday of last week and running through tomorrow). This has actually caused problems at the polling places because they weren't ready for the crowds. It seems lots of people want to avoid the problems of last year. Waits have typically been 2 hours, and it was much worse on the weekend when more places were open. This just goes to show that people are interested in the election this year, and will certainly try to vote on a weekend.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Election Day FAQ
Q. Why are federal elections held on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November?

A. The Tuesday after the first Monday in November was initially established in 1845 (3 U.S.C. 1) for the appointment of Presidential electors in every fourth year. 2 U.S.C. 7 established this date for electing U.S. Representatives in every even numbered year in 1875. Finaly, 2 U.S.C. 1 established this date as the time for electing U.S. Senators in 1914.

Why early November? For much of our history America was a predominantly agrarian society. Law makers therefore took into account that November was perhaps the most convenient month for farmers and rural workers to be able to travel to the polls. The fall harvest was over, (remembering that spring was planting time and summer was taken up with working the fields and tending the crops) but in the majority of the nation the weather was still mild enough to permit travel over unimproved roads.

Why Tuesday? Since most residents of rural America had to travel a significant distance to the county seat in order to vote, Monday was not considered reasonable as many people would need to begin travel on Sunday. This would, of course, have conflicted with church services and Sunday worship.

Why the first Tuesday after the first Monday? Lawmakers wanted to prevent election day from falling on the first of November for two reasons. November 1st is All Saints Day, a holy day of obligation for Roman Catholics. In addition, most merchants were in the habit of doing their books from the preceding month on the 1st. Congress was apparently worried that the economic success or failure of the previous month might influence the vote of the merchants.

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
get this - if there was an exact tie in the number of electoral votes (possible, but highly improbable, even in this very close election race), here is what happens:

house of representitives picks president

senate picks vice president.

this would most likely mean Bush as president and Edwards as Vice! Actually, I'm not sure about this part, but it may mean they could also pick Kerry as vice pres!!!

now that would be a mess!

there is aso the possibility of "faithless electors". Members of the electorial colloege have the right to vote for anyone they want, though 99 percent of the time they do as they are mandated to. sometimes they don't vote though, abstaining if they think their party is doing the wrong thing. I don't think any have ever voted for someone else, but I'm pretty sure they can. At least one republican electorate has said he is likely to abstain.

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Actually, it's not going to be key states to be looking at this year, but a key cohort group - the younger voters. This will most likely be the first time they vote, and most of them rely solely on cell phones these days. I.e. the masses have no way of polling them to know which way they plan on voting. This cohort group is going to be watched just as closely as the major swing state (Ohio). Since the pollsters really have no clue how the young ones will vote, it *can* actually be up in the air.

crosses fingers that the majority of them will vote democrat

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
this is part of the reason I say that I think something unexpected will happen.

based on the childrens vote, which has been accurate in the time it has existed (but by no means long enough to be statistically significant), Kerry will win convincingly. no one expects that, but I think it is possible. perhaps not likely, but possible. I agree the polls don't take enough things under consideration when they calculate their errors. Hell, lots of people flat out lie to polsters for various reasons like trying to skew results to make more of one party or the other think they should worry more about the chances of their candidate winning.

my vote is in. I trust they won't lose it since it goes to Texas and the repulicans there aren't scared of losing that state. so now I can only do what atheists do that is akin to praying that bush goes down - what is that called... hope?

-v-

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Hope....yes...that's one word for it.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Is 'hope' just optimistic 'fear'? frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
https://special.msn.com/weeklyreader/grade5up/882199.armx?GT1=5472

According to this childrens pool with a munch longer history, bush will win.

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
They're polling within the margin of error on most polls. And historically incumbents get their poll numbers and no more in the election, but challengers do better than theirs. Don't despair. That's what they want. Visualize Winning.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

456 posts

Posted:
Astar, I never said no outside interests WERE giving to the Republicans. I was saying don't try to give to the Democrats or the Kerry campaign if you aren't a US Citizen or Resident (actually I'm not sure about Resident non-Citizens). They aren't allowed to take your money, and if they take it it will give Karl Rove another thing to sue about, and cause much more trouble than your money is worth.

And we vote on Tuesday for the same reason we vote in November: because in today's society people are much more likely to vote when the weather is good, and much more likely to vote when they don't have to take off work to do it, and by the way we DON'T, most of us, get Election Day as a holiday, because voting on a Saturday in May would increase voter turnout.

And increasing voter turnout historically favors the Democrats, and the left generally. Therefore the Republicans will oppose and filibuster it, just as they do every measure that makes it easier to vote, like Motor-Voter, which would have allowed voter registration as part of the driver's license application process, or same-day voter registration, which would a) allow more people to vote and b) prevent massive frauds like the one the Republicans perpetrated in Nevada.

Oh, you didn't hear about that? The Republican National Committee hired a private firm for a voter registration drive. In Nevada you mark your party affiliation when you register; they registered the Republicans and shredded the Democrats. And there's no way to fix it; those Democrats will show up on Election Day expecting to vote and be told they can't.

And none of the people involved in this massive fraud will be locked up as they deserve, either: the prosecutors, police commissioners, judges etc. are all either elected Republicans, or appointed by them.

I hope NYC is wrong. If he isn't, though, Canada is looking better by the day. They have their own loonies, but they're not holding the reins of power at the moment.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I have to beleive that Kerry has a chance to win, because the alternative is too awful to think about.
I have been doing a lot of work for the Kerry campaign- both because I'm required to volunteer for a political campaign for my U.S. history class, but also because it is so important to me-and because its the only thing I can do to help, because I'm not old enough to vote (grrrrrrrrr). Its very encouraging when we do honk-and-waves, to see the amount of people who honk for Kerry. I feel kind of lucky to live in Ohio during this race, because I feel like what I'm doing may actually be making a big difference.
We had a really depressing history class the other day, talking about the electoral college (not to mention talking about what will happen if our city school levy fails, but thats a different subject!). Its such a screwed up system, because it was established when the government was so afraid of the power of the masses, and of the ignorance of the public, )which I must say was a legitamate reason) It made me really angry when calling voters, asking who they were voting for, when they said "I don't know...we haven't really thought about it yet". That just baffled me-I don't understand how people could have so little opinion on such a huge matter! I'll definately be working the polls, trying to be right by the door handing out fliers to those people who vote for the last name they see before they go into the polling booth!
God, I hope he wins. I mean, I in no way think that a Kerry win = the solution to all of our problems, but its deffinately a start!
To all American HOPpers: please, please, please, vote if you are a t all able. I cannot stress how important it is!!!!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dom

Written by:

Nope, we did well to send you guys back to your island.

Am I getting my dates wrong but didn't we stay in Canada and beat you guys when you tried to invade?

The real point of the statement was that we did well to form our own government here, and gain our independence. Monarchy may work for a small island, but not for a country like the US. And don't say well it doesn't look like it's working right now nana

As to whats happening in florida, is it honestly any surprise?

*starts dusting off his riot gear*

I'm ready for it wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thanks a million Vanzie hug

very interesting... ubbloco

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
from tribe, I urge all US voters to check this out

Written by:

NO STOLEN ELECTIONS! www.Nov3.US
First Action Notice:

1. GET READY
2 SPREAD THE WORD
3. CONTRIBUTE
4. UPDATES

As the election closes in there is mounting evidence that the outcome may not be immediately clear. A wide range of voter fraud may emerge that will require intense work on the local level to organize direct actions to seek remedies. Fortunately there are already thousands of people mobilized in existing election protection efforts to insure that every vote is counted on November 2nd, but they will need more support. That ’s why 15,000 people have already signed the No Stolen Elections pledge. If there is election fraud, we are committed to take action to ensure that every vote is counted in the days following November 2nd.

Late on election night, November 2nd, you and everyone else who signed the pledge will receive an Urgent Response Network email notice informing you of whether the Fair Elections Advisory Council has found evidence of significant fraud impacting the outcome of the election. This notice will also appearon the website. In the meantime, the No Stolen Elections campaign is well underway, and our website is constantly being updated to provide you with information, suggestions, contacts, and other resources to help you follow up on your pledge to defend voting rights.

Here is what you can do right now:

1. GET READY

Prepare Your Local Response - Go to the website and click on "Directory of Local Actions," and see if someone in your community has already organized a rally, public meeting, or other event for November 3rd, and beyond. If not, please take steps to organize such an event, and please post the details about it on the website. Click on "What You Can Do" for tips and suggestions for your local organizing, and for a PDF poster you can download for local use.

Read Up - Go to the website and click on "Stolen Election Deja Vu" to read an excellent article by Steve Cobble which details the kinds of abuses the Fair Elections Advisory Council will be looking out for on November 2nd. Click on "Action Framework" to read a document which will provide you with an overall guide regarding how to prepare for November 3rd, and for what may happen in the weeks and months following a stolen election.

2. SPREAD THE WORD - Tell everyone about it! Go to the website and click on "Spread the Word." Use the form that is there to send out a letter to everyone you know asking them to join you in signing the pledge. On that same "Spread the Word" page there is also a banner at the bottom. Click on that to see an array of banners and buttons you can add to your website as links to the No Stolen Elections campaign.

3. CONTRIBUTE - Go to the website and click on "Contribute!" to make a contribution to the No Stolen Elections campaign. For the timebeing, the costs of coordinating this campaign are limited to web and communications costs. But we expect that if Urgent Response Network is mobilized, costs will increase significantly. We need to be prepared. Please contribute today.

4. UPDATES - Watch the website for regular updates. Recent updates have included the Fair Elections Advisory Council, No Stolen Elections Deja Vu, What You Can Do, the Action Framework, new signatories to the pledge, links to election protection groups on the "About Us" page, and many other smaller updates. Look for at least one more email update before election day.

NO STOLEN ELECTIONS! www.Nov3.US
"This struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, and it may be both moral and physical, but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." ~ Frederick Douglass, 1857

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Is 'hope' just optimistic 'fear'? frown

probably...

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
so I had this conversation with a couple europeans last night over some wine - a tres cool italian fire spinner and his exceedinly astute (and very lovely) german girlfriend. At one point she said to me, "Kerry is going to win, right? Please tell me he is going to win."

About a hundred things flashed through my mind, but the net result was I just sat there quietly fidgeting in my disturbed state caused be my sudden realization that I had truely had no faith in either the majority of american voters or the fairness of the system.

I mean, I had thought this to myself and outloud before, probably even on these boards, but in that moment, perhaps for the first time, I conciously recognized that I truely beleive this, that it goes beyond rhetoric.

After a few moments that hung like a waterlogged canvas over the conversaton, I tried to reassure them and myself that Kerry will probably win, using some of the things people have said here and some of the stuff I have posted to this thread, but we could all tell i didn't have the power of genuine hope behind my words.

So to that end - thanks for posting the "visualize winning" link Xopher - it helped my attitude today quite a bit.

I want my country back.

-v-

456 posts

Posted:
We all do, vanize. And I'm glad it helped.

Page: ...