Page: ...
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Election day in the US.

7 days.

Like it or not.

Storm's a comin'. Get ready for a lawsuit filled election won by Mr. Bush. Hey, don't blame me, most of you all aren't voting against him.

That's my prediction, you heard it here first.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Was the world always this crazy

or are we seeing something new.

a sign of things to come.

im disdurbed

where do you search for better options and realistic solutions.

does anyone have the answer.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
It's fair to say I feel devastated right now

Getting to the other side smile

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
At least you aren't in the states and stuck living with this muck for another 4 years....

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
no, we can just watch him inflict this muck on the innocent for another 4 years...

dunno which is worse frown

on a different note, this may pave the way for the very first female president of the USA.....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I reallllly need to get out of this country, and take Mand with me.

Not only did the people of the US re-elect a liar (all the evidence is out there), but 11 states voted to ban same sex marriage, and many of those are also banning civil unions.....how can people NOT see the inequity in that?

I am a second class citizen in my own country. I don't have the same rights and privileges most heterosexual people have or have access to...and people in those 11 states figure I shouldn't have the same rights as they do.

Too bad this couldn't have been a world wide election. Kerry would have won by a landslide....unfortunately, it seems the majority of people in this country of mine are lemmings who don't think for themselves, and tend to ignore the evidence.

The GOP nearly hung Clinton for lying about his relationship with Lewinsky, but no one has hung bush on his and his party's lie about their "public" reasons for going to war in IRAQ.

To those of you who aren't from this country, don't judge all of us by the number of lemmings we have in this country. Many of us did NOT vote for Bush either election.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I heard on the radio (translated by my sis) that Bush was already celebrating (or something similar) as he feels that he has one.

Sick.

There are so many people wishing Bush not to go back into office, and if he does, there will be a lot of anger towards the states, I'm thinking...

Completely agreeing with Vanize... sigh...

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: SpitFire

The GOP nearly hung Clinton for lying about his relationship with Lewinsky, but no one has hung bush on his and his party's lie about their "public" reasons for going to war in IRAQ.

[censored] good point

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

Written by: SpitFire

censored good point

Also, with the actual systems they have in place, isn't it possible for the President to be taken out of office if deemed unsuitable? Thenagain, all of the politicians at that level must be spun into his webs... I just can't image, with this 'flawless' system they claimed they made 200 years ago (or something like that) could become what it is now...

Forgive me if I have something wrong... I don't know completely how politics are in the US, I think I have a good idea, but if the above statement is wrong, please tell me! This is only my understanding...

And Spitfire... go to Canada biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
The president can be impeached, but it's highly unlikely to happen since the same party controls the Congress and the Senate.

Given the results, one might get the picture that Americans think it's ok to lie about things that REALLY count, but not ok about things that have very little effect on the rest of the nation.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I know this will bring about much American hate. And I'm sure that most of that hate is rightfully placed.

I can say that this election truely divided the country. For those abroad, keep in mind that 48 million people voted against Bush, that's larger than the entire population of England. That means there is an entire country's worth of people here that have spoken out, protested, and voted against the current leadership. Unfortunately, there seems to be a marginally larger group of people that prefered Bush.

I know that New York and California, the only two places I've ever called 'home' in my life voted overwhelmingly for Kerry. And New York elected a Democratic Govorner by the highest margin of victory in state history.

Bring on the Hate. But it's not all of our faults. There are some consiterable islands of liberalism here. And we're very upset.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The problem, NYC is that in neither election did Bush have anything even remotely resembling a mandate. But the GOP has control now of all three branches of government.

Predictions I am making:
* A draft within two years (Hey, teenagers and early 20's folk...start looking into Canada!)
* Specific excusion of sexual orientation from federal anti-discrimination laws
* Strict limitations on abortion, if not outright reversal of Roe v. Wade
* A ten-figure national debt
* A minimum 10% increase in unemployment
* A minimum 10% increase in medical uninsured
* Mean per-gallon gas prices of $2.50
* A minimum 10% increase in new cases of HIV

Doesn't matter if he "almost" lost. Fact is he won. Close counts only in horseshoes and hand grenades.

The Founding Fathers warned against a "tyrrany of the majority," but that seems to be exactly what we have on our hands.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
that must be so frustrating frown

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
What is living in the US going to be like now - you're divided and a very smug looking Bush is not the person to bring you all together. Many Republicans will be gloating on this for years to come - many seem to get great satisfaction from the defeat of the intelligentsia. Yes I'm arrogant to think I know better than most Bush supporters, but I'm right wink

I'm tempted to think that at least Bush gets to deal with his own mess and really screw things up so next election Hillary can get elected, but I believe that his team can turn round anything to look good for Bush. Like the article said, a lot of people truly believe Saddam was connected to 9/11 and that the US can be invaded by a horde of fanatical Muslims at any moment. After all John Kerry just isn't doing enough about the monsters hiding under my bed! Bush turned his minority into a majority (the first time in a long while) and will now triumphantly declare that he's been elected by more people that any president ever, so can claim the right to more power than before.

Oh, and there's about 59/60 million in the UK - about 49 million eligable to vote. A lot of those will happily buy Bush's sugar coated lies as well.

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
New York elected a Democratic governor? Not this year.

I may have to leave this country, too. I want to make sure I get out before Ann Coulter leads a squadron of jackbooted thugs down the street to pull me from my house and beat me to death.

Think it can't happen here? Neither did German Jews in 1938.

My beloved country is sliding toward fascism. Get ready, world. :-(

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: ...Lightning...

Predictions I am making:
* A draft within two years (Hey, teenagers and early 20's folk...start looking into Canada!)
* Specific excusion of sexual orientation from federal anti-discrimination laws
* Strict limitations on abortion, if not outright reversal of Roe v. Wade
* A ten-figure national debt
* A minimum 10% increase in unemployment
* A minimum 10% increase in medical uninsured
* Mean per-gallon gas prices of $2.50
* A minimum 10% increase in new cases of HIV

Yay! Striaght middle class, middle aged, white men win again! ubbangel

I don't think there will be a draft. The rest are actually conservative estimates.

I do think that there will be some more organized and determined resistances within urban areas. There are some pissed off Americans out there. My city is currently between denial and mourning but will lean towards the latter as the days move on.

As the Bush/GOP machine moves on I'm sure his approval ratings will bounce back up. Next stop. Guliani! You heard it here first!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Can I just jump in and ask what GOP is?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, Canada won't be an option it once was for folks who want to dodge the draft.

Personally? I'm moving North of the border as soon as I either get a job, or residency.

Whichever comes first.

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
GOP stands for Grand Old Party sense the republicans are the oldest political party in the USA

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
SpitFire is right. They have a treaty with Canada now.

I understand Montreal is lovely. And I loved Toronto when I was there, except that they won't let you jaywalk -- a precious freedom to a New Yorker.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

Can I just jump in and ask what GOP is?

GOP = "Grand Old Party," the formal name given to the Republican Party when it was back in its early days.

President Bush, like him or hate him, is going to be with America for 4 more years, and there's no question he won. In fact, he won the single highest popular vote in history, surpassing Reagan in 1984. Kerry ranks 3rd in the numbers too, so I'd say this election in general has probably had the largest turnout in history (good!). Here's the breakdown:

#1) 94% of Precincts Reporting George W. Bush 56,317,896 votes

#2) Reagan got 54,455,075 in 1984, the previous record.

#3) 95% of Precints Reporting John Kerry 53,004,905 votes

So this time we had a total voter turnout of more than 110 Million US voters. I'd say that's pretty significant. And I see this result as a good thing, but let me explain why.

For the last 4 years, our country has been ripped in half, literally into the Red and Blue groups, and a major reason for this is the contested 2000 election and the Florida debacle. For four years we've heard nothing but challenges to President Bush's legitimacy as a leader, and it's polarized the country into a situation where one side will do things just to spite the other. This election was much more decisive, and I think we're going to see a healing in the future of the rift between the liberal and conservative halves of the country. Democrats at this point have nothing to offer but grudging acceptance of President Bush's legitimacy, rather than indignant denial, and I think we're going to see some loosening up on both sides as they learn to get along again. Kerry's concession phone call this morning was quoted as saying "America is too divided," and I think they hit it right on the head. Kerry did the most honorable thing he could at that moment, and it shows he was really thinking about America. Pundits are already talking about unifying "both sides of the aisle" (Dems & Reps) and I'm hopeful that will happen. hug

Unfortunately I was ineligible to vote because my registration got sent in too late (stupid MTV's Rock The Vote told me the wrong election board address), I know there were a lot of issues I had strong feelings about. I didn't have a pick for President but there were several local issues I wanted to get passed (allowing gay marriage, creating a state lottery, and others) that I'm kinda upset about, but I think where I am (conservative Oklahoma) sort of overshadows my personal opinions anyway. soapbox

I predict our next election will be a big one too... Rudy Guiliani vs Hilary Rodham Clinton in 2008. juggle

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
*shudders at thought of choosing between Hillary and Rudy*

Always Beautiful

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i am flabber gasted! i really dont know what to say ... but why?!! what on earth would make people vote for him?? are the majority of america really that blind to what he has done? the bridges he has burned with other countries. Those living outside the states know how powerful the US is in the world? do those who voted bush not realise or appreicate the same? Do they realise its not just about the United States?

The man is an idiot!! a puppet for the meglomanics (or maniacs i cant quite decide) that work behind the scenes.

Can anyone point out something postive that he has done? i am really curious. honestly i really am. (none of that was a sarcastic question, i really truely want to know)

watching the news aparently the trump card for bush was his moral values ( clinching the huge christian community in the states). there was also an guy saying that the europeans etc need to understand bush more and what he stanmds for in the states. I personally would, is there someone on here that can explain it to me without it sounding like a serious amount of $hite ..

all i can see is america going backwards, and bush will continue to cause embarassment and shame on the US, oh and lots more hatred toward the states all of which will take years to undo.

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
All we can do now is hope that whatever happens over the next four years can be undone and that no irreversable harm is caused.

Always Beautiful

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by:

keep in mind that 48 million people voted against Bush, that's larger than the entire population of England

actually the population is 49138831 tongue

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Dio, I don't think the split will heal as you think it will. 1) If Bush hadn't stolen the election in 200 he wouldn't have been voted back in now. 2) The US government's policy is still pro rich people, anti muslim, anti environment, anti stability and anti reason.
You can't expect people to love thier president just because he's thier president. Many people do, but they're the ones who believe fairy tales.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but... wink
Written by:

One thing that is very strange is how much the exit polls differed from the final results, especially in Ohio. Remember that Ohio uses Diebold voting machines in many areas. These machines have no paper trail. Early in the campaign, Diebold CEO Walden O'Dell, a GOP fundraiser, promised to deliver Ohio to Bush. He later regretted having said that.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dom

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but... wink
Written by:

One thing that is very strange is how much the exit polls differed from the final results, especially in Ohio. Remember that Ohio uses Diebold voting machines in many areas. These machines have no paper trail. Early in the campaign, Diebold CEO Walden O'Dell, a GOP fundraiser, promised to deliver Ohio to Bush. He later regretted having said that.

Dom, mind PMing me a link to the site with that information? Google's not showing me much love today hunting for election errata.

Here are a couple of news items that deal with the situation:

First is the original controversy regarding the Diebold stuff.
https://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0828-08.htm

Following that, 3 months later there was an independent investigation done by two companies on the voting machines' security and reliability, and changes were implemented to account for the findings.
https://www.diebold.com/dieboldes/ohio.htm

Written by:

If Bush hadn't stolen the election in 200 he wouldn't have been voted back in now.

You know, my first engineering internship I basically got because my mom worked for the company. They asked me back for the 3 following summers and a winter - sure, I rode in on something other than personal merit, but they kept me around because I was doing a great job and they felt that I was the right person to fill the position. I was even offered a job upon graduation from Uni. Am I a crappy engineer just because my mommy got me the job? Or am I a good engineer who's proven himself to the people who decide my employment status?

Written by:

You can't expect people to love thier president just because he's thier president. Many people do, but they're the ones who believe fairy tales.

Well, at least 58 million Americans like him for some reason or another. And the other (less than) half, I'm just hoping will a) be gracious enough to accept him, and b) at the same time I hope the winning party will stop seeing it as an us-vs-them situation now that there's less to fight over and begin to listen to what the Dems have to say.

Bear in mind, the Senate and House both have overwhelming control by Republicans now as well - and Tom Daschle (Senate minority leader) was booted out by his state's voters, which is something that hasn't happened in over half a century. Like it or not, it seems like the American public has made a decision all across the board on how we would like our country to represent itself.

Honestly, do you think Kerry would do a better job in the office, or is it an "anyone other than Bush" situation? Internationally, Kerry is favored, but you have to remember the President is also in control of a lot of domestic issues that mean just as much to the people here, and they factor that in when voting as well.

On a side note: California approved a $3 Billion policy to state-fund stem cell research, despite Bush's prohibition on federal funding. I think that serves as an example of how the states can act as a counterbalance to the national government, and also goes to show if the President does something people don't agree with, they can have their voices heard and acted upon.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, here's my challenge if there is a draft:

Tell 'em you're gay. Even if you aren't. THAT will get their wheels turning... wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

boomer235SILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
A sad day..
After another 4 years of this train wreck the deluded masses will have no one to blame but themselves. My only fear is that the damage will be irreversible by the time people realize what just happened.

In his acceptance introduction speech V.P. Cheney described the "Mandate" the people of this country have given the president. If they think that we will all sit back and let them destroy our liberties without a fuss they have another thing coming. I hope it never comes to violence before the American people wake up and create an alternative to this Republican/Democrat charade.
Peace all... Im not sure how much fire Im gonna have to spin to work this out ;-)

weavesmiley Spin cause ya' gotta!!

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
There are quite a few Americans not happy with some of Bush's decisions, but alot of Americans think he would make for a better president than John Kerry...I agree ubbrollsmile

I agree with Dio when he says that people weighed their vote on not only international issues, but also domestic issues here at home.

My roomie who is from India agreed with me when I said this:
"It is better to have an evil you know, then have an evil you don't know".

wink

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: ...Lightning...

Well, here's my challenge if there is a draft:

Tell 'em you're gay. Even if you aren't. THAT will get their wheels turning... wink

OK. Here's my promise. If I ever get drafted, I'm sleeping with Lightning to get out of it. Sorry Mol... but I ain't goin' to Iraq. biggrin

Heck, I think we should ALL have a "Big Gay Get Out Of Iraq Free" party for anyone who gets drafted. I'll bring some whipped cream and a digital camera.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: ...