Page: ...
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Election day in the US.

7 days.

Like it or not.

Storm's a comin'. Get ready for a lawsuit filled election won by Mr. Bush. Hey, don't blame me, most of you all aren't voting against him.

That's my prediction, you heard it here first.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
He has to win. He just has to!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
hey... Ohio?

If he doesn't, its all YOUR fault. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
with the timeing of the osama tape (assumeing it's authentic)

I am guessing osama wants bush to win.

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
hey, don't blame me- I can't vote!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Astar

with the timeing of the osama tape (assumeing it's authentic)

I am guessing osama wants bush to win.

I think that is pretty clear. Bush is playing right into his hands.

The other possibility is that Osama is on Bush's payroll, and if Kerry wins, he not only looses his payoff boy, but suddenly really will be a hunted man!

either way, Bush is pretty much an essential part of Osama's power at this point.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I have to say - I've never cared so much about the outcome of an election...

Please, PLEASE let Kerry win.

*crosses everything"

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I'm still up for phoning people in Ohio and begging?!

Getting to the other side smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Phone them up and beg them to vote for Bush. I'm sure they're so fed up with being begged that they'll vote for the opposite out of spite. Make sure to phone them around midnight. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I obviously don't want Bush to win because of his record... but then is Kerry seriously going to offer a real alternative? The foreign policy of both seems pretty similar to my uninformed feeble brain...

I really hope things get better with Kerry as president... but I'm not convinced they will. He still wants to look "tough" in the face of terror. But still *crosses fingers, toes, eyes, knees and elbows* I imagine Kerry can probably spell his own name. And at the end of the day, to a large extent it's the administration, not just who fronts it. Democrats are clearly a bit better than Republicans, seems to me.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
now that it is getting close, here is an interesting site for the eletoral college vote distribution, which now seems to favor Kerry when last week it favored Bush:

https://www.electoral-vote.com/

Keep in mind it usees the same flawed polls that everyone else is using, just with the twist that they are considering the outcome of the electoral college vote (the one that counts), not the popular vote.

interestingly, Ohio no longers appears to be a swing state (unfortunately)

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
So I was watching "60 minutes" last night (a tv show in the states). At the end, Andy Rooney usually has some short anecdoctal comment about something. Last night, it was about the candidates. One of the comments he made was that voters like Bush at times because he isn't always super smart, which makes them feel good because they sometimes aren't themselves. Kerry is sometimes too intelligent for his own good. Andy meant it all in a jesting manner, so it was sorta commical.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
hehe. in america, the nation stops all day (sorta) to vote on november 2nd
In australia, the nation stops for baout 5 minutes while some horses run around on november second.

hang on. in america, the nation stops while people watch horses try to get into office ubblol

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Or some form of horse produce, at any rate... wink

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
heh! get this - 72% of Bush supporters continue to believe Iraq had WMD, and 75% still think Saddam had Al Qaeda connections.

rolleyes

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
John Kerry Storms to Victory in Virtual Vote

Mon Nov 1, 7:52 AM ET Technology - Reuters Internet Report

LONDON (Reuters) - The virtual vote is in -- Democratic challenger John Kerry (news - web sites) has won a landslide victory over President Bush (news - web sites) in a global sample of the world's opinion on the race for the White House.

More than 113,000 people from 119 countries made their choice at www.globalvote2004.org, handing Kerry a crushing win with 77 percent of the vote, a spokesman for the Web site said on Monday.

But there was consolation for Bush from what many would see as an unlikely source: the majority of virtual votes submitted from Iraq (news - web sites) went to the incumbent.

The results of the non-official vote were released a day before Americans go to the polls in the real election.

Opinion polls in the United States predict a dead heat between Bush and Kerry on Tuesday, but surfers who had their say at Globalvote leaned strongly toward the challenger.

Third party candidates, including independent Ralph Nader (news - web sites), took nearly 14 percent of the vote, while Bush garnered a mere nine percent.

"Iraq was one of the few countries where Bush actually won and the Middle East voted 37 percent for Bush compared to a world average of 9.1 percent," the Web site spokesman said.

"We're not trying to tell Americans how to vote, we're just giving them feedback from the rest of the world. The outcome of the real vote affects non-US citizens enormously in the post-9/11 age," he added.

Globalvote is a non-partisan, London-based site and not sponsored by any political party, its creators said.

-v-

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Doesn't surprise me... wish this was on the front page of the papers in the US tomorrow though..

Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
THE CAMPAIGN IN FIGURES
75%: percentage of those in an ABC poll who thought it was the most important election of their lives

$272,573,444: Amount raised by President George W Bush (correct as of 13 October)

$249,305,109: Amount raised by Democratic challenger Senator John Kerry (correct as of 13 October)

43,256: Number of times adverts were run from 21 to 27 October

$46,367,413: Total amount spent on adverts from 21 to 27 October

208-169: US newspaper endorsements for Mr Kerry and President Bush (correct as of 31 October)

28-14: loss by Washington Redskins football team - since 1936, a loss in their last home game before the election has been followed by victory for the challenger

(so that's good news anyway)

Thoreau

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I don't think this is the most important election of my life. I think the last one was. We wouldn't be here if Bush hadn't lost by more. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, ohio is back in the "barely Kerry" collumn.

it is starting to look like if Kerry takes Florida, then he wins. If Kerry losses Florida, then it is going to be close, and if Bush manages to take Ohio, then states like Vermont and new mexico could even decide the outcome.

re: the young voters. a cell phone poll has finally been taken, and found that Kerry is indeed the clear favorite among cell phone crowd. That means if young voters get out in force for once, Bush would not only lose for sure, but lose big. the same poll says only about 3% of this group do not intend to vote, which would be amazing since typically only like 20-30% of this group does vote. I think a 97% turnout of 18-29 year old voters is unrealistic, but even half that would probably tip the scales. Who knows, it may be the big story of this election - america's youth finally exherting its power. If there is an upset in Kerry's favor, thank the young americans.

-v-

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, today's the day.

Good luck America, you have the future safety of the rest of the world in your hands. Take care of it.

Get out there and vote, even if you think your vote won't make a difference - bring your friends! Go to the pub after!

My fingers are crossed that Bush is unceremoniously removed, and I'll be sitting up all night to watch it. There will be tears if he gets back in.

Take care peoples - and for the rest of the world (even though I don't normally go for this type of thing) - think lots of positive president-changing thoughts!!

Love Clare xo

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
ditto

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I don't know whether to stay up all night watching or try to sleep through it and just see what the morning brings...

eek

-v-

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
i will stay up i guess

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
*cringes and waits for a result that won't result in armageddon*

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Well, I can say this to all thinking of staying up in Europe. The news station will not announce anything until they are absolutely certain about the outcome. They will not speculate this time because of the fiasco 4 years ago when what they said was flat out wrong.

So, since we know this is such a tight race, I'd suggest just going to sleep and seeing the news in the morning. Heck, when you wake up is probably when the news people will have a better idea anyway.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Not sure I will be able to sleep. I am really very concerned about what will happen if Bush gets back.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll bring my blankets and pillows to the living room and sleep in there tonight biggrin Anyone want to come to mine?! I have vodka ubblol

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Well, the polls won't officially close in all places until 7pm. So, nothing can be official until the polls close in either Alaska or Hawaii (not sure which is farther west time zone wise). I know most of Europe is 7 hours ahead of my time zone, and there are still 2 more continental US time zones to the west of me (not including Alaska and Hawaii). I'm guessing the polls in California will be closing right about sunrise for you, so I'd certainly try to get some sleep.

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
Vodka hmmmm.... not a bad idea I wont able to sleep either. beerchug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, well, you're welcome over at mine - if you can make from Germany in time biggrin

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
hmmm... nooo shrug, but maybe some other time biggrin

Page: ...