Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Hi, suggestions appreciated...

Login/Join to Participate

alexnewbyBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I was an intense club juggler for about 4 years, but stopped six years ago for health reasons.

I've had Poi for the past 3 years, but hadn't really gotten into them. Basically, I needed gloves (and never got around to it), I don't know why my hands shred from twirling Poi, but anyway, so I've been working on it the last couple weeks (finally got gloves), and have the following brief routine worked out.

1. Spin, spin, (this is like I spin clockwise once in a nice circle and then cross over the other side of my body on the down swing, and back again on the up)

2. Double spin in a nice circle, and then cross arms right, cross arms left.

3. Double spin in a nice circle, double twirl to the other side of me, right, then left, and then back to (1)

I can just about get double spins both to my sides, and then cross over for a double spin, and back, but... am I doing something wrong, it seem strange that I shred myself, and I can't seem to do a butterfly for the life of me.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
my advice, come back in six months and practice in the mean time.

you are just begining my friend, and im envious.

spinning is a totally diffrent dynamic than juggling, juggling is about speed and precision, spinning is about turning circles, a totally diffrent concept

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Did you club spin as well as juggle? Maybe that'll be an easy way to help form the basis of poi in your head?

smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

alexnewbyBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

spinning is a totally diffrent dynamic than juggling, juggling is about speed and precision, spinning is about turning circles, a totally different concept

I agree with you as to the concept; however, in this regard it is a question of style. Where I'm coming from spinning is about speed and precision, just as much as about making circles.

As a club juggler, I had a routine where I would contain triple spins in the span of a veritable phone booth, and would mix it up with double spins, overhands, slow hands, high throws, under the legs, etc. In effect, I was addicted to triple spinning triples (cuads never stayed contained very well they were always a few inches above my head) Very pretty, but bad for the neck.

I see myself going the same route with these Poi, which could be bad. There's no dynamic here, just addiction to speed and power.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Alexneby

is about speed and precision...

More speed, less control.

I like it!

smile

*shakes his head*

*mutters something about speed being rubbish and how everyone should spin much slower...cos its harder and looks more controlled*

It also sounds as if you my friend need to watch some videos.

Go watch the spinach sessions by Bluecat, then come back.

smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
20000th post in this forum.

smile

and its all mine!