Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Spin, Anti Spin and other oddities of movement known as the sexy six

Login/Join to Participate

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Hey all hug
Was just curious to see how people were going with playing with and thinking about these kind of moves. I for one am still trying to come to grips with ways to think about them and thought a little discussion might be a helpful thing.

So, what is all this spin stuff about anyway?
It has nothing to do with the world of PR (or the undergound Brotherhood known only as Anti Spin that fight it for that matter). No it is all to do with horizontal (for the time being) contact, and the ways that you can move your body in relation to the stick. MCP describes this quite well in that big tome she is working on. The idea here is that you can take the same contact move and make it appear very different by using different types of spin. You can also perform parts of a move with one Spin, then finish it with another. For the sake of this thread here are all of the possible combinations, as they exist in my head at this time... Please feel free to advise better lables. I am sorry if trying to class or catch it all like this seems silly and technical to some ppls, but I know for myself it is fruitful thing to do and I hope it will help me to play more with these wonderful dynamics.

Spin
Stick & person spinning in the same way, with the stick going slightly faster then you.
Makes moves easier as you have more time. When done smoothly can create bit of a slow motion effect.

Anti Spin
Stick spins one way, the person spins the other.
Quite tricky but feels and looks very juciy. Very hard (but very possible) to in longer sequences without slowing or stopping the stick.

Static
Stick not spinning, Person not spinning.
Have not really done to much with this. Seems very hard. I am sure a master mime could do wonderful things though. Everything you can do here (arm rolls for example) you might find easier if you take yourself in circles; which leads us (in a roundabout way) to:

Static Spin
Person and stick both spinning in the same way at the same speed.
This is by fair the easiest of the spins and is very handy to use as a means to regain control of am otherwise botched sequence. If you placed the stick on your back and just turned around and around that would be one example of Static Spin. Some moves (steves for eg) cannot be done in this spin, which brings us to:

That Spin Used For The Static Steve
Person spins, Stick does not.
Wish I could do Static Steves...

Super Spin
Person and stick spinning the same way, the person going slightly faster the the stick.
I just started doing this and it is messing with my head. It feels a bit like you are doing Anti Spin backwards. Which I guess you kinda are. ermm ubbloco you see what I mean.

ubbangel
Well I feel better having written it down. Hope some of it makes a bit of sense rolleyes.

Love & Stuff,
K

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
nice one!

biggrin

my mind boggles.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmm... youve described that very well!
Written by:

It feels a bit like you are doing Anti Spin backwards

although im not even going to try to work that one out in my head...

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
*joins meg in both the praise and the boggling*

you've made my head spin Kyle - does that count?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
this aplies vertical too, well, some of it does.

the term anti-spin is cofusing for us poi'ers tho, cos we are just using it for another concept.

T wave

p.s. cor look at that, im posting in staff moves! been a while!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I am confused confused

actually, I just read it all again andit makes sense. I am having some sticks made.......

.............then watch out cos I'm going to play biggrin biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Static Steves.... Mmmmm, tricky, but can see where you're coming from smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
biggrin Glad you guys like this stuff, l am keen to hear what you do with it.

Meanwhile a sad update on my state of affairs:
I was having a laugh to myself thinking about how this spin stuff might relate to lightbulb jokes and that made me think YES!!!!! THAT IS IT! Merry-go-rounds!!! (that is kinda the way my mind tends to work). Think how fun it could be. Think of all the possible spins a three tier entity could have... ubblove
So I am now wondering the wastelands of Eastern Germany in a fruitless search for merry-go-rounds. Where did they all go? There must be some around!? Was it political? did the communists tear them all down? I feel lost and in need of the truth.
frown

A) it does feel as good

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by:

That Spin Used For The Static Steve
Person spins, Stick does not.
Wish I could do Static Steves...

damm it thought i'd had a new idea spank

p.s. The only merry-go-rounds i've had the pleasure of speaking to were very right wing so i wouldn't be suprised if it was the communists

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
So I noticed that there was no mention in my first post of when the stick spins and the person does not, but I guess that can be thought of as normal and does not really have a need for a label (although it brings to seven the total-amount-of-spins-that-I-can-think-of-just-now) . And as for MollySpin(tm), well it is lots of fun but maybe not one to do on fire? eek

Have not had much play time of late but did some this morning and I have got a steve going in all of them now ubbrollsmile
The superspin version is a bit strange as the stick is spinning the wrong(?) way. Ie to do one from right hand to left, the stick is anticlockwise.

It is much like doing backwards antispin and I might have an explantion (maybe)
Anti spin requires you to spin your body one way while little bits of it wiggle about to tell the stick to go the other way.
Super spin requires you to spin your body one way while little bits of it wiggle about to tell the stick to go the other way.
ubblocoThe only difference is which way the stick is spinning.
T&B,
I did not think of static steves untill I saw MCP talking about them, which was about ten seconds before I saw her DOING them.

A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
was that not a conversation that went like this:

Well you know, you can do static steves...
Really?
Yeah, like this...

Practically a prototypical spinners interaction. smile

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Len came up with anti-spin fishtails yesterday - and they are just about do-able, one way at least... Stickspinning backwards, with hand doing forward fishtail motion.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Did it go like this:

Len: Hey, y'know, you can do anti-spin fishtails!
Durbs: Yeah?
Len: Yeah Like this...

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Molly: Meg, meg, I've got my very own spin named after me!
mcp: Does it go like this?
Molly: No. Ouch.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No it was more like:

Len: I think I nearly got an anti-spin fishtail
Durbs: Don't be mental
Len: No really
Durbs: Hmmm *tries it* Oh yeah... There's something there
smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Here are a few ideas to play with...

Non contact or using more then one contact point.
You can be a bit more free to mess around with the movements if you are not having to worry about the stick. Try isolating limbs and toes and things like that. Contact can also be made more stable by having more then one bit holding the stick up. A nice one to try is to cross your arms and put the stick on top of the backs of both hands, both off centre. Now try to rotate the stick so your arms cros the other way.

Reverse thingy
Try doing the same move in AS, then in SS. So with a steve for example, the stick goes from right hand to behind your neck to left hand. It then goes lefthand, back of neck right hand. All spining the same way biggrin

Contact catching
You can throw the stick and start your spin before it comes down. I think I like antispin a lot for this.

More sticks, more spins
Lots of things to be done with more sticks. Try doing anispin one way with one stick and static spin with the other going the other way. Then swap them.
Have lots and lots and lots of fun...

Love & Stuff,
K

A) it does feel as good

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
*jaw drops* and i thought getting started with shoulder neck shoulder type stuff was gettin some where.

*runs off to practice lots and lots and lots*

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

rifionmember
19 posts

Posted:
you kids amaze me. Iife has pulled me away fom practicing incessantly, so i stopped checking for new moves here. I come back a few months later and you're re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks for doing that.

I must get myself to england or Oz. America has very few contact wizards.

R