Forums > Help! > A few video questions

Login/Join to Participate

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Last night I recorded my first video. I think were going to throw that one out and rerord tonight becuase it didn'tcome out how I wanted. I was wondering what format is the best to use to put a video on the net. My friend always uses avi because he just puts his vids back onto tape so he doesn't know anything about putting tapes on the net. Also I used coleman white gas and I think it might have been too bright cause sometimes the balls of firelook more like circles of light and block my arms and body out too much, way more then they should. My questions are A.)What formatt should i convert the video after I edit it B.) What would be the best fuel to use C.) After I finish the vid how can I get it online? Is there any sites I can put it on maybe or make a free webpage or whatever. I have never tried to put anything online ao all this is new to me. D.) Anyothertipsanybody has used to make a great video. Thanks

Peace, Love, Circles

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bestest in terms of quality, compression and compatibility is DIVX. But it's a bit un-stable I've found, and some programs don't like encoding to it.

www.divx.com has the codec files.

WMV is easy but Mac users can't view it without some jiggery-pokery

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'll answer the others:

B.) What would be the best fuel to use

I could say do a durbs at this point.... or simply say: Paraffin.

C.) After I finish the vid how can I get it online? Is there any sites I can put it on maybe or make a free webpage or whatever. I have never tried to put anything online ao all this is new to me.

Ask someone nicely in the video thread.
Or, again, do a Durbs smile

D.) Anyothertipsanybody has used to make a great video.

Have old ladies in.
Use cheesy music.
Edit whilst watching the computer. Not playing playstation.
Learn about the danger of hot cups of tea placed on the desk when you are editing.
Use no slow mo frame rates. Sod it. Its you video. Make it how you[i/] want to make it.

smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
watch out installing divx codecs as freeware from their site - they bundle it is adware and when you agree to their licience, you are also agreeing to having annoying pop-up internet adds installed on your computer.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, forgot to mention that - Just download the Codecs, not the software smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Or find a freeware version.

Its out there somewhere.

I know it is.

smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
its the freeware version you have to watch out for!!! Or for that mattter, any freeware. Once upon a time freeware was actually free, but now much of it installs adwar or spyware on your computer. Always read the user agreement carefully if you are installing any freeware these days.

Durbs is right - just install the codex you get from the divx site, not their software.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
And in terms of putting it up on a website, Rovo, I believe you can do it on spherculism!

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
oh i forgot about the galleries rbmnyc thank you very much biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I used DivX codec on some of the vids I posted and they were by far the ones that people were posting that they couldn't get to work.

I also have issues with codec suppliers who shove ad/spy ware onto people downloading the product. Even if it's possible to get the codecs alone, the fact is that people visiting just to get a codec for the movie they want to watch, are unlikely to spend much time decyphering the site to realise what it is they're actually downloading.

It's easy to say that it's each individuals responsibility to research fully what they're getting and to read the terms and conditions, but to do that on every issue is impractical in terms of the sheer amount of time it takes.

Internet sleaziness is becoming a major issue; the people bundleing malware with their freeware products aren't going to stop, so it's down to us to stop using those products.

If DivX is pushing spy/adware, then maybe it's time to stop using the codec when we make movies, then we're not complicit in internet users having to download dodgy stuff just to view the movies.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Agreed: biggrin

I'll stick to wmv ubblol

Written by:

WMV is easy but Mac users can't view it without some jiggery-pokery

Not always true. Madmets has a Mac and he has a software program that can watch all video types. I'll ask him what its called some time sometime. I think i asked this before "why do I need divx" and the answer is "u dont"

Can someone plz explain what makes the "special" divx codecs better than normal wmv codecs? Im guessing so people who have mac can watch via divx.

Written by:

C.) After I finish the vid how can I get it online? Is there any sites I can put it on maybe or make a free webpage or whatever. I have never tried to put anything online ao all this is new to me.

You need to have a host server. And an ftp software program to upload it. You can get a free 100 meg host at SPYMAC and i use SMARTFTP to send my videos to the host.

The cool thing about having ur own host is u can send the link to friends e-mails and web sites and dont have to register to watch the vid.

luck

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Dragon7
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1098764060)

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the help everyone. I converted it to a .wmv file. Now I just need space to upload it to. The damn thing is 39mb and I can't find anywhere to put it. And since I posted this thread am I allowed to go off topic? wink biggrin After watching the video I noticed alot of things. I was really tense, spun much faster than usual and was not very creative when spinning in front of the camera. I think I thunk about it too much. It didn't come out like i wanted it too and I didn't do alot of the stuff I wanted to film. Now the next time I film which will hopefully be tommarow night I am gonn atry and fix a few things and relax a bit more. Did seeing your self on camera help anybody notices things about their spinning?

Peace, Love, Circles

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Written by:

The damn thing is 39mb and I can't find anywhere to put it.

Rovo.

Written by:

You can get a free 100 meg host at SPYMAC and i use SMARTFTP to send my videos to the host.

ubbloco

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
A few reasons why I switched to XviD as well. Also(I think) one of the newer codecs using mpeg4.

Pushing spyware on your customers is the best way to lose them, we should send that msg back to the companies that do that. It's a pretty shitty biz model imo..

Written by: onewheeldave

I used DivX codec on some of the vids I posted and they were by far the ones that people were posting that they couldn't get to work.

I also have issues with codec suppliers who shove ad/spy ware onto people downloading the product. Even if it's possible to get the codecs alone, the fact is that people visiting just to get a codec for the movie they want to watch, are unlikely to spend much time decyphering the site to realise what it is they're actually downloading.

It's easy to say that it's each individuals responsibility to research fully what they're getting and to read the terms and conditions, but to do that on every issue is impractical in terms of the sheer amount of time it takes.

Internet sleaziness is becoming a major issue; the people bundleing malware with their freeware products aren't going to stop, so it's down to us to stop using those products.

If DivX is pushing spy/adware, then maybe it's time to stop using the codec when we make movies, then we're not complicit in internet users having to download dodgy stuff just to view the movies.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Sorry Dragon7 I guess I didn't pay attention to that one. I'm gonna go to the site now. Man I feel like a jackass. redface Oh and whats your username cause it asks if someone reffered me.
EDITED_BY: Rovo (1098793810)

Peace, Love, Circles

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
My user names are Dragon7 ubblol and darkjedisith biggrin Cause i have 2 accounts. Its a bit of a mission to get the free 100 meg BUT if u fill out every question and answer ever box, u get a big red tick, u cant miss it, THEN u can use ur account.

Then once u have the tick, download,install and run smartftp and its pretty simple to send ur video to the "http" file (drag and drop), once its there ur video address should read somthing like this :

https://darkjedisith.spymac.net//REBEL.wmv

u just have to change it to :

https://Rovo.spymac.net//BESTVIDEOUEVERSEEN.wmv
wink

If u need any help pm me your msn messenger. biggrin

And if u really cant do it, i could probly free up some space on my 200 meg account cool

Luck

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Spymac is over!!! frown eek ubbloco spank

They have totally closed the server, at the worse time because i just spent ages shooting fottage frown and setting up editors etc.

They are still hosting the videos for those who use it and have old accounts, but you can no longer log in or upload new videos frown I dont think they will come back anytime soon because they are changing into a paysite. Which means soon they will remove all the videos (Im assuming).

I was wondering...if there was anyone who could help to find free hosting? Or if anyone was kind enough to host afew videos redface confused

I have done a Durbs frown

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I forgot to say pweeeese help

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
@Rovo:

Perhaps try to get someone to film you randomly. Say 'I'm going to do three burns tonight, pick one and don't tell me you're filming it' cos then you'll either be tense for all three, or not know which one and be relaxed for all of them. Or, get them to film all of them, and by the last one you'll be used to it tongue

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie