RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Simian just mentioned these in a thread I posted and I didn't want to go off topic. I've seen them in vids but for the life of me cannot figure out exactly what i should be doing to keep the poi apart. Longarm is probably my weakest area so I just can't figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated or even a couple other threads. I couldn't find any when i searched. Thanks smile

Peace, Love, Circles

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
dont know if this will be helpful, but.

i find long arm stuff really hard aswell, i find the best way to practise it is initially find a mirror or a big window or something and stad in front of it.
then just swing your arms, just do it very slowly, dont have your poi in your hands. just work out the arm motions like that, and then try it with poi. but as the poi line up with your arm when your doing this stuff, its not actually nessessary to have poi in your hands to do the moves. think of your arms as poi and your shoulders as hands.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, practical without poi, a longarm carry is just a longarm pirroette, it happens over one beat, have a look at the flower articals in pip, they have some basic longarm to get you going.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I've read the articles on PiP and can do some sloppy flowers. I guess what i don't get is what do i do with my body while turning? Do i move my arms or does my body do all the work. How would i move my arms this one has me stumped. If i had a text explanation of what to do i would be able to get it because right now I have no idea what to do. Like what are my arms actually doing as I turn? If anyone could elaborate it would b appreciated.

Peace, Love, Circles

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Rotate round yer ips.

90 degrees to the left hand side.

90 degrees to the right hand side.

and have straight arms. and short poi or it does hurt otherwise.

smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
no, poi.

circle your hands forwards one either side

now practice tunring 180 so that ou are swinging your arms backwards this si what ucof is talking about. when you are confident with turning 180, try360.

get a couple of trees or poles and stand between them, when you do your turns use the landmarks to make shure you do a full 360.

tunring proper 360 takes time, its what i learnt this summer, and its really important for all poi moves.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
when ya can do 360 with long arm you can try it with your hands touching your shoulders, which is harder. i reckon

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
or anywhere else , cos its a skirt, or 1 beat turn, or double carry, what ever you call it, my personal fav at the mo is one by my shoulder and one at the hip, tho both on your ears looks nice.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
at the mo, i'm very much liking switching betwixt longarm and crosser carries ubblove

Written by: Nx?

get a couple of trees or poles and stand between them, when you do your turns use the landmarks to make shure you do a full 360.

seconding that advice:

i used to practice in the lift at work. It was just wide enough for my outstretched arms to fit, and there was a big mirror. Any mistakes and i'd rap my knuckles painfully on the metal handrails on either side. i got much better and more centred by practicing like that. also i discovered that the security guards had been watching me on cctv and reckoned i was a bit odd. redface

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

security guards had been watching me on cctv and reckoned i was a bit odd. redface

pretty astute observation for a security guard i'd say...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I finally got these! The sad part was my girlfriend who is very new to spinning did them with ease. Damn dancers and their ability to spin in circles really well.

Peace, Love, Circles

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
These look really good if you're wearing a baggy jumper with big thick sleeves.
it makes your arms look like perfect rotating rectangles.

(for reference: see PK in "Morning Coffee")

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
Just spin the rotation with your arms 180 degrees apart and turn your body but make sure arms are going straight up and down. After about ten circles with your body figure out where your arms were just going and just rotate your upper body.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.